Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall...

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #11  
djradz,
Frankly corn is a very, very bad thing to feed them yes it is very low in nutrients but it also stands a fair chance of getting them sick as many forms of bacteria are present in corn that is stored and handled poorly by the feed mills. I'm sure there are some reputable feed mills that protect it better than most but this said most people buy it from the closest source that is cheap generally speaking Wally World where they store it outside half the time, it gets wet and mildews and starts the internal decay along with the weavels that I've found constantly in their bags. Your best source of nutrients that is easy to find and cheap usually cheaper than deer or cracked corn is goat feed they store it inside typically and its balanced well for goats which are the closest animal in the domestic world to a deer in their nutritional requirements. As a matter of fact if you look at the mills that make the deer feed it is exactly the same as goat feed "except" they do add some corn to it which you can do easily by buying one bag of corn and just use a little in the goat feed to help them make the transition to a food that is better for them. Once they start eating the goat feed well I'd stop with the corn as it doesn't store well and will be laced with bugs even before you open the bag. I guess to prefice my remarks I should have said that I own and live on a game ranch in Texas where our only source of income off of 347 acres is hunters and believe me the better, healthier deer you have the more folks pay for the privledge of having access to the ranch. Today we hunt 5 hunters a year at $2,000 per gun and folks don't pay that for undernourished poor quality animals. So I actually have a very vested interest in their health even if it is for monetary reasons we don't harvest the entire herd only 25% which is recommended by the state biologist the 75% that survives the year on my place are healthy, toxin free and well fed.
Steve

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #12  
I've been feeding deer at my camp for the past 30 years or so. Feed them apples, whole corn, old bakery. Pick up a large bag of old bakery each week for one dollar and they clean it up. Includes bread, rolls and last week a cherry pie. Took a couple of pictures last week and the 10 I'm feeding are still looking healthy. Will start droppping a few maple and aspen this month for firewood and browse for the deer. Last year they browsed the the brances down to pencil diameter - you could count the ribs on some. Second picture is of Peek-a-Boo Bambi.
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ps: When I drive into my camp they come running out of the woods looking for their snacks. Have a Timber Wolf pack in the area, but they don't seem to be reducing their numbers, although you can get in an argument on that subject at the local pub with the guys that didn't get their buck last year.

Attachments

• 576120-Deer 05-2.jpg
    576120-Deer 05-2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 205
   / Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #13  
Peek-a-Boo Bambi - looking pretty healthy for 1-27-05 in this snow belt.
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 576124-deer 1-05.jpg
    576124-deer 1-05.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 200
   / Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall...
I have taken your advise and ordered 2 - 50# of goat feed and 1 - 50# of corn. I will be getting my feed fresh from the supplier that delivers the other grain products to the pet shop. I figure that I will feed them well as long as the snow covering on the ground is too deep for them to forage. As the weather warms, I will taper off so they can continue to do what come naturally. Every day, I can see where they have been trying to get under the snow cover to find the acorns from last fall. Thanks for the information. I will take some pictures of them if I can catch them when I have the camera with me.

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #15  
Junkman, Its important to remember your subsidizing not feeding if you give them to much feed they'll stop their foraging which adds important nutrients that is hard to get them to eat any other way and also you'll end up with a semi-domesticated herd that ends up around the house eating what they can out of the garbage can and your front yard which reminds me I don't recall how big a place you've got but its best if you attempt to feed them in a secluded part away from your house or anybody elses or you will truly have new yard ornaments and they won't leave in the spring instead they'll stick around and eat your honey's new potted plants and anything you try to raise in the garden will become much harder to keep them out of as they'll lose their natural fear of humans if they are subject to your presence 24\7.
Steve

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall...
I was only going to give them a small amount and I was planning on putting it in the area where they have been foraging for acorns. I already have them in the back yard all summer long eating the grass, and they definitely are afraid of the dog who chases them back across the stream when they are in the yard. I know about what they can do, and I am careful not to let them get domesticated at all. There was one that used to walk up to the dog (now deceased) and they would just sniff each other and then "play" for a few minutes. That dog never chased them away, but the rest were always leery of her. Seems that these two had a mutual friendship, but the rest of the herd wouldn't come near her. I live on 15 acres, but am surrounded by many hundreds of acres of woodland, so there will be plenty of food for them in the spring. Last winter they took down my Holly plants. So far, this winter they have not gotten to them. They have a migration path across the land that I have known about for the past 20 years and nothing is going to get them to change that. Unfortunately, my house is in close proximity to where they cross the land going to the water. Junk...

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #17  
I enjoy feeding the deer especially when they have trouble finding browse. I've never had a problem with them getting too tame. They need the food in the winter, so they come closer, but once they can roam in the spring they again become wary. I suppose they might turn into pets in an urban area, but out here where there's hundreds of thousands of wooded acres, they stay wild. Attaching a picture of one I took today, you can see the whole corn by the base of the red pine. penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ps: I stated in an earlier post that also I fed them old bakery, but last week there was some cardimen(?) seed biscuits in the batch and noted some loose stools on the ground, so will have to stop the spices.

Attachments

• 578453-Deer eating corn 2-3-05.jpg
    578453-Deer eating corn 2-3-05.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 200
   / Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #18  
This goat feed does it come in pellets. The local guy said he never heard of feeding goat feed to deer and alls he has is pellets.

murph

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #19  
thcri,
It sort a looks like pellets it just groundup processed grain and nutrients nothing special.
Steve

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #20  
Junkman, A lot of the camps in my area put out alfalfa bales in the fall. The deer hit them in the spring and if the snow melts. There is no comparison IMHO to a starving deer herd in your supplemental feeding. I doubt your deer are starving and you won't be feeding in that volume. I use corn often. Yes its cheap but I only buy it at a grain/elevator and never a wally world. A lot of the feed/grain/elevator stores here mix a blend of deer feed that often contains alfalfa pellets, corn and Molasses. Deer Dessert ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I really prefer apples and carrots but sun flower seeds are inexpensive as well. I also like to drop a number of sugar beets as it snows and they dig them up all winter. The best feed of all as someone else mentioned is tree cutting. I have 20 acres of Aspen being cut as we speak. Enjoy the deer !