Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #61  
To the OP. NOBODY likes getting ripped off and I hope you didn’t.

BUT as others have mentioned, looking at a pile of loose material to determine volume is always deceiving, plus human nature always makes us expect more.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt
I'm not so much looking at the pile but going off the calculation of what the pile filled. Should have taken X cu yds leaving a remainder, but no remainder was left. Shape filled should not be able to hold amount of material ordered.

My cross section drawing is an approximation. I looked at it last night and the base is wider than 6'. Probably 7.5' at the very bottom, but top is thinner at about only 1' right now. Yes, slope is incredibly steep. That's intent - get as close to a vertical wall of dirt as I can possibly create. As I'm filling, I stop and take the bucket and press flat spots in the slope. That makes small ledges and encourages next buckets to go "up" and "out" vs just rolling down to bottom widening base.

But should change my title to "feeling stupid".......since I need another load...regardless if what was delivered was 20 yds, 26 yds, or 1,000 yds, will still need more to finish it once it settles some and I can get it thicker, higher. So I called company B, figuring I'd go thru the ordeal of getting them to match company A price. Turns out they must have already lowered their price considerably. Their quad axle load is 18 yds (and from my old picture a few pages back you can see it looks remarkably similar to same amount as 26 yds from company A) & is $1.20/yd more delivered. So for $30 I'd probably be topping off old berms to get rid of excess dirt instead of griping I didn't get enough :)

I guess I just forgot over time....stone from company A - they're cheaper (offer crushed concrete, magnet screened, much cheaper than ABC gravel) and deliver with weight tickets, mulch & dirt from company B since they are generous with their loading by volume.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #63  
I'm not so much looking at the pile but going off the calculation of what the pile filled. Should have taken X cu yds leaving a remainder, but no remainder was left. Shape filled should not be able to hold amount of material ordered.

My cross section drawing is an approximation. I looked at it last night and the base is wider than 6'. Probably 7.5' at the very bottom, but top is thinner at about only 1' right now. Yes, slope is incredibly steep. That's intent - get as close to a vertical wall of dirt as I can possibly create. As I'm filling, I stop and take the bucket and press flat spots in the slope. That makes small ledges and encourages next buckets to go "up" and "out" vs just rolling down to bottom widening base.

But should change my title to "feeling stupid".......since I need another load...regardless if what was delivered was 20 yds, 26 yds, or 1,000 yds, will still need more to finish it once it settles some and I can get it thicker, higher. So I called company B, figuring I'd go thru the ordeal of getting them to match company A price. Turns out they must have already lowered their price considerably. Their quad axle load is 18 yds (and from my old picture a few pages back you can see it looks remarkably similar to same amount as 26 yds from company A) & is $1.20/yd more delivered. So for $30 I'd probably be topping off old berms to get rid of excess dirt instead of griping I didn't get enough

I guess I just forgot over time....stone from company A - they're cheaper (offer crushed concrete, magnet screened, much cheaper than ABC gravel) and deliver with weight tickets, mulch & dirt from company B since they are generous with their loading by volume.

Sounds good going with company B who are generous with loading with volume.

Just as long as you realize a company supplying an accurate volume IS NOT necessarily ripping you off.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #64  
I've got landscaping to do, after a new septic system and foundation drain system were installed. I've been trying most of the summer to get topsoil delivered, but it's been so wet in northern Iowa, that they can't get it done, and my place is fairly remote (an hour drive for the truck, each way ( a lot of "Oh, that's too far for us..."), that I've had trouble getting it done. I finally got a "full load" of pulverized topsoil ordered, which should be about 11 yards. $630 with delivery. Gave them my cc and will have to wait 'til next week to see what the pile looks like. Hopefully, I won't feel ripped off...

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #65  
I've got landscaping to do, after a new septic system and foundation drain system were installed. I've been trying most of the summer to get topsoil delivered, but it's been so wet in northern Iowa, that they can't get it done, and my place is fairly remote (an hour drive for the truck, each way ( a lot of "Oh, that's too far for us..."), that I've had trouble getting it done. I finally got a "full load" of pulverized topsoil ordered, which should be about 11 yards. $630 with delivery. Gave them my cc and will have to wait 'til next week to see what the pile looks like. Hopefully, I won't feel ripped off...

I hope you don’t either.

I’ve delivered a lot of loads of topsoil in my time and never intentionally or knowingly short changed anyone. The one thing I can tell you is I’ve NEVER had a customer remark “ WOW. That’s looks like way more than
I ordered”.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #66  
My twenty yards of topsoil took up fourteen yards in the garden.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #68  
Nah... it is simply a matter of using integral calculus.

Maybe if it was an even shape. Unless you have a 3D scanner I’m not sure what size pile you’re going to be calculating the volume on. If the pile was even shape you could push it into a cone and use relatively simple geometry.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #69  
All I know is the yard of dirt I moved with a shovel was MUCH bigger than the same yard moved with the tractor.

/ Feeling ripped off.....fill dirt #70  
Maybe if it was an even shape. Unless you have a 3D scanner I’m not sure what size pile you’re going to be calculating the volume on. If the pile was even shape you could push it into a cone and use relatively simple geometry.
Yeah it was in jest... a 3D scanner would help! :D