FEL Hydraulics Just Died

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #51  
Are those bearings lubed via engine oil. Would some oil also splash on the splines? Splines that are dry fret and require a good tacky grease to keep them lubed.

If my memory is correct one grease that was recommended a few years ago was optimal moly -T white paste or some similar name.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #52  
ericm979 makes an excellent point about the pump.

I replaced mine, (hyd pump) out of an abundance of caution. I also just bought both bearings too.
Did your front cover have to be removed, to gain access Like mine?
Glad you figured it out!

Mike

Last edited:
   / FEL Hydraulics Just Died #53  
Are those bearings lubed via engine oil. Would some oil also splash on the splines? Splines that are dry fret and require a good tacky grease to keep them lubed.

If my memory is correct one grease that was recommended a few years ago was optimal moly -T white paste or some similar name.
On mine it’s lubed by engine oil, I would think it’s the same for OP’s

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #54  
Found the problem. Very similar to Mike0000's issue.

The PTO gear that drives the Main Pump is worn.

@mike0000

What is this gear called? I have a CAT 3024CT engine and the bulge in the front cover where this gear lives is called the PTO. I can't find anything about this gear on the CAT site or from other sources.

I need a new gear with the bearings pressed on.

The Main Pump shaft is also worn so that will have to be dealt with as well.

Thanks!
Hey mmranch,
Branson calls it a “Hydraulic Pump Gear”

Mike

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #55  
This may be the gear you're looking for but don't quote me on that. It does just match the TYM part number #288-8815. https://spare.avspart.com/caterpillar/pump/2888815/

You may also have better luck searching by Perkins since CAT bought Perkins sometime ago.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #56  
This may be the gear you're looking for but don't quote me on that. It does just match the TYM part number #288-8815. https://spare.avspart.com/caterpillar/pump/2888815/

You may also have better luck searching by Perkins since CAT bought Perkins sometime ago.
The Man is in the house!
ptsg is responsible for getting me through my hydraulic pump/gear failure!

Mike

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died
Thanks very much to all for the ideas!

I will digest all this tommorrow.

That link does look like it could be the gear... but the teeth on the gear in that drawing look perpindicular to the gear and the teeth on the actual gear are slightly slanted. We'll see.

I didn't have to remove the front cover (and hopefully I won't). The gear just pulls out with the Main Pump. The gear is lubed with engine oil and looks to have grease in the holes for the pump shafts. If I can get the right gear setup, it should just push right back in. The Main Pump shaft splines are worn and so are the Steering pump splines. I will have to see what I can find for the pump replacements.

Thanks again.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #58  
All the factory manuals for the T603 are available for download here:

Jordan Sales, in Post Falls Idaho, seems to have the largest stock of spares of any of the dealers, and will drop ship to you if they need to order from TYM. At least they did when I ordered he rear hydraulics kit for my tractor from them.

The TYM part number for things from outside sources, at least on my T233, is the subsystem manufacturers part number with some numbers on the front. I‘m guessing it is similar to the old Sears scheme. Where the manufacture code was the first three characters, and the rest of the part number was the actual manufacturer’s number for the part. Example, the Craftsam Table saws were made by Emerson Electric, whose manufacturer code for Sears was 103. So all the part numbers for the saws started with 103.

If I drop the first three numbers from the TYM part number for things related to the Mitsubishi engine in mine, I can successfully find the Mitsubishi parts online. Typically for less than the TYM Dealers want, if they can get them.

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #59  
Glad you found the problem. Sad that this was it.

You'll have to replace the worn shafts or pumps. If you reassemble a new gear on the worn shafts it won't last long.

Thanks for the updates!!!

/ FEL Hydraulics Just Died #60  
Thanks for the ideas!

After more testing... it appears the hydraulic pump may have died.

The backhoe hydraulics are also dead.

Thanks again!
Most likely blew the seals, can be rebuilt.