FEL mounted tree limb trimmer

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #11  
   / FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #12  
"I was looking into the idea of running multiple circular saw blades mounted vertically on top of one another with a hydraulic motor used to power them."

There was a thread on here a year or two back on exactly that - guy built it using 10" or 12" saw blades, hydraulic motor, chain driven - I tried a search using several different terms yesterday, could NOT find it to save my sorry a** - maybe someone else remembers it? The guy did a really nice job of it, can't believe I didn't bookmark it... Steve

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #13  
If I could weld and wire and fab hahaha I would take my old 42" Honda pull behind bush hog and make it where it could attach to my fel someway. With forks or a hay roll needle thing possibly?? Then just extend the ignition and kill switch to the driver. Possibly just wire a plug running down fel arms to attach to when I attached the mower. Could even use for other created implements like a circular saw blade pole saw extension.... ??? Ahh if only I could weld fab and do electrical.

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer
Xfaxman: Yes I meant Lane Shark. I must have mistyped. Sorry to lead everyone in the wrong direction. I have a need to trim 7+ miles of treelines with oak trees nearly identical in size to the one in the picture you posted (from 6" to 12" DBH). For that reason I must be able to do it quickly unless I want to quit my job and trim trees full time.

Bukit: I would like to see that thread if you ever find it. That was my original plan, and I believe circular blades may be even more effective than traditional mower blades. For my purposes though, I believe the Lane Shark might be perfect.

I have spoken with one of the guys at Lane Shark and intend to get one before this summer. For the cost (I think it will be around $3,100 total) I haven't seen another product that comes close to it. I don't think it says on their website, but the rep told me that they could make the SSQA version compatible with my JD loader quick attach specs. That means I can remove it for transport or to replace with my bucket in a matter of seconds.

I will keep this group up to date on how it goes. I know there must be quite a large number of people on this forum and reading as guests who are looking for a similar piece of equipment in this price range. Expect some photos and videos hopefully by mid-June.

Thanks for the help.

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #17  
Here is what I done, works great. Note the saw must be spring loaded so you don't put to much down pressure on it and brake it. I also have it spring loaded to one side.

This is actually pretty darn ingenious haha
I like it!!

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #18  
Do you have a chopper?

I can see a Tim the tool man accident episode in the making. Hahaha That thing is awesome.

1) I can see things going awry very quickly with that thing. Kill switch or not, anytime a blade contacts something capable of getting wrapped up it's a literally a wrap haha. Now add being over a 100 feet up in the air in a chopper!?

2) that guy pulling the limb out ..... HUGE. BALLS.

3) as if pilots needed more of a reason to schedule a cranium deflation. Now they can add actually working to their resumé Flying and getting at the same time.

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #19  
I would suggest that you contact your highway department. They are likely to have the type of branch cutter you want or refer you to their contractor.
Here in new zealand there is a contractor who does this type of work. The tractor is about 130hp and runs a 6" cutter head made of either a 4 or 5 disk head that will reach up to 20". It will do your size job in a 1/2 a day comfortably. It runs with a 2nd tractor to clear the road and mulch the branches.
A contractor will save you the expences of a seldom used machine.

/ FEL mounted tree limb trimmer #20  
I have searched this forum and seen a few people who seem to be searching for the same type of equipment. I am looking for some type of saw, mower, or rotary mulcher that attaches to the FEL and can trim tree limbs that are encroaching on roads and shooting lanes. We have a large amount of acreage planted to 20 year old oak trees. Our roads and shooting lanes were fine for years, but now that the trees have gotten bigger, the limbs have grown together from both sides making mowing grass miserable as well as shooting a rifle down these lanes impossible.

I have seen the limbinator and similar pole-mounted chainsaws. This is not necessarily what I am looking for given that I would be cutting max 3" diameter limbs and needing to do it constantly down the length of these roads. I have also looked at google earth and added up that I have more than 7 miles of these roads and shooting lanes to trim on both sides so doing this manually is just not feasible.

Does anyone have any ideas about a piece of equipment that might do this job? I have seen the limb beaver, but at $9k I think I can come up with something better and a whole lot cheaper.

I was looking into the idea of running multiple circular saw blades mounted vertically on top of one another with a hydraulic motor used to power them. I'm trying to figure out some pointers from this group as to what may be the best way to get this built. It seems I could make it simply enough mounting rotors to 1/4" plate steel with a chain or belt running the blades from the hydraulic motor. My biggest concern is that if it sounds too good to be true and nobody already makes it, its probably either much harder than expected or extremely dangerous.

Thanks for the help. I know this group thinks way outside the box on these problems and thats what I'm looking for to solve the problem.

Are you still looking for a brush cutter?
I have built one that works great. It is hydraulic driven and uses the hydraulic pressure from the prime mover. It will fit any prime mover with a quick attach front end loader. If you are interested, I can send you some photos and details.