Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #21  
Very timely information. I've been looking at several brands, new and used, but the Turf Vent caught my attention based on price.

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #22  
connor77 said:
Great stuff Wrooster. I'm considering the same aerator but read about some issues with top link and the opening being too narrow for top link "eyeball". Did your aerator require any modifications like removing top link eyeball or were you able to attach it without any difficulties?

I just got my turf vent 3ph 48" aerator in and u can not attach a cat1 center bar to it. I can not believe they have not fixed this!! I have a welder and I can fix it, but that is not the point. They could easily make a modification that would accommodate a cat0 or cat1 on the same setup. I will post pics after I fix it and post the design change since Feldman does not know how to design this properly. It seems like good unit but I will confirm that after I can actually use it.

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project
I just got my turf vent 3ph 48" aerator in and u can not attach a cat1 center bar to it. I can not believe they have not fixed this!! I have a welder and I can fix it, but that is not the point. They could easily make a modification that would accommodate a cat0 or cat1 on the same setup. I will post pics after I fix it and post the design change since Feldman does not know how to design this properly. It seems like good unit but I will confirm that after I can actually use it.
This issue, and the easy "washers + sleeve" fix, is covered on page one of this thread... :)

Wrooster

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #24  
Thinking that I'm going to order the 48" 3PH model soon... For the money, it looks like a solid unit, even if it still needs to washers and sleeve fix to be able to attach the top link. They have a really nice 52" caster aerator, but it's a little pricey at over $2,100 for a homeowner. :) If I had the money, I would surely buy that one as it would be nice to be able to turn as needed without lifting the unit, but nothing wrong with making the 3PH work a bit!

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #25  
I bought this aerator. So far, not a good story. Hitch arrived days ahead of tine/frame assembly. When frame assembly arrived, the box was beat to crap and taped back together all over. Opened the box and no hardware! Contacted the reseller and the mfr. Five days later I get a package with a few #10 bolts for a muffler assembly (Do you know of any unpowered 3pt hitch aerators that have mufflers?). Contacted them again. Two days later, got a package of hardware for the 3 point hitch. I already had that hardware and made it very clear what hardware was missing in my communications with them. So, contacted both again today. Promised to have me hardware on this Tuesday. Throughout this process, there was virtually no visibility into what was going on either. I got no response to my emails. Both the reseller and the manufacturer customer service reps were trying. But, it was clear they had no clue about the product. Nor did either take the initiative to see to it that the parts were right; nor did they do anything to expedite fulfillment or shipping. Sent the wrong parts the cheapest, slowest way they could. No real regard for my time, as I see it.

If the hardware weren't so expensive (~$35), I would have simply bought my own! I've now missed two weekends where I could've been working with it and it continues to occupy my shop in pieces all over the place. I also plan to weld on some stands and would like to get this little project out of my shop. Geez! Man I hope I don't have warranty problems. Will update once (if) I get my hardware.

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #26  
Sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having... :( Sounds like their customer service is seriously lacking, but hopefully the product is solid once you can put it together. I was thinking of ordering the aerator from Gempler's as I hear they are an excellent company to deal with. Any reason that you didn't take the issue up with the shipper? Were you around to accept the package?

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #27  
Sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having... :( Sounds like their customer service is seriously lacking, but hopefully the product is solid once you can put it together. I was thinking of ordering the aerator from Gempler's as I hear they are an excellent company to deal with. Any reason that you didn't take the issue up with the shipper? Were you around to accept the package?

I ordered from Gempler's, even though there were some slightly cheaper places to buy from, thinking they would give me better service and support. No I was not home when it was delivered. UPS originally used the weather as an excuse for the late delivery. When I called them about the tracking status, they said they had to tape it up before delivering. Really, everyone has failed me: Feldmann, Gempler's, and UPS.

As I said the girls at both Gemplers and Feldmann were polite and tried to help. But, I think that this is a fundamental failure of their systems and lack of emphasis on accuracy and timeliness at making a sale right; plus they are ignorant about the products they represent. If the ladies knew what they were selling and had access to inventories, say via computer of all things (imagine that), they could have done better, even ordered and shipped the hardware kit in real time.

As for UPS, they clearly manhandled the shipment. I find they are the worst of the carriers. Express mail seems to do best. I don't know why more businesses don't use USPS. For these kinds of items, they are just as fast. And FedEx is better too, but this may have been too heavy for FedEx. Nonetheless Feldmann should have designed a more robust package for something so heavy. The weight/thickness of the cardboard is marginal. And had Feldmann packaged the hardware better, say in a sealed bag, it probably would have stayed with the shipment. The box contained an empty, unstapled, unsealed plastic bag and had holes large enough for individual hardware to escape. Once the hardware was out of the bag, with the holes, it clearly was going to get lost. It was clear the bag was never secured shut (no signs of staples, no tearing of plastic, no evidence of thermal seals).

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #28  
Well, they are trying. I sent them an email this AM reminding them to ship for overnight, and reinforced what parts I needed once again. Got an email this afternoon with tracking number for delivery tomorrow. We'll see what I get this time. Hopefully all will be good in the end. Next step then: put it together, weld on some stand legs, and try it out.

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #29  
Well, they finally sent me the correct parts. I put it together tonight and it went together pretty easily. Seems well built, at least for home owner use. Perfect size for my GT. I expect it to serve me well for many years to come.

Both Gemplers and Feldmann really worked hard to make the sale right, and I appreciate that. But, they could have worked half as hard and kept me from such consternation had they done a better job to begin with, mainly better packaging. They need to understand that something this heavy must have serious packaging to withstand UPS.

Anyway, all I have left to do is weld on the stand legs and repaint the welds. Some grease and it's ready to go. Now I'm ready for the snow to go.

/ Feldmann Turf Vent aerator + stand project #30  
Nice work with the spacer and the stand. I just ordered the 32" wide model to use with my BX24. I will follow your advice.

Thanks, Peter

from the lower Columbia River.