FELs and digging

/ FELs and digging #51  
I just carved out a rock hillside with a light weight flat tooth bucket on a koyker 80. Went real slow and used the rippers when I could. Had very little space so bucket did most of the work.

Went slow but job is getting done. Just pushing along the top of the rock scraping a few inches at a time.

Might as well use it. If it breaks just fix it.
20230103_165716.jpg
20230103_165803.jpg

/ FELs and digging #52  
When loaders (FEL) were first made most were very crude pieces. Some were mounted on the back of a tractor, some were mounted on the front with cylinders and cables to lift them, some were mounted on a tractor and basically that was all the tractor could be used for. Most of these has lift only with no down pressure and a manual trip bucket and the buckets were very narrow. Many after market manufacturers sprung up and when their gadgets failed they disappeared.

Most agriculture companies then started building Manure Loaders these were built for of course loading manure into a spreader, handling grain, fertilizer, snow and other light jobs around the farm. Most should not be used for earth moving as they were light construction and would break, bend, or fail. Even today they are still no meant for digging. Most of the time you can tell by how they are mounted. Are the frames heavy, are they full length of the tractor, or are they bolted to weak parts of the frame, do they take the stress off the tractor frame?

Construction equipment manufacturers found these to light for digging and companies started building heavier frame loaders that mounted under the rear axle and solidly on the front of the tractor. Some manufacturers made the loader and tractor as a package to get the strength required for digging and lifting heavy loads of soil high enough to put it on a truck. Get a chance go look at one, notice most now are built as a complete package and frames are heavy and strong. Most will have enough force to lift the tractor high off the ground.

Now with that said I'm not saying most "homeowner" grade loaders can't dig in the earth, but you are risking broken frames, mounts, and possible damage to the tractor to do so.
A backhoe is a specialized tool made for digging trenches. Again there are "homeowner" grade and industrial grade. A small one can do the job usually if the soil isn't too hard, but it will take longer to do the same job.

An example of that years ago our neighbor had a water line leaking and wanted to replace it. He called my father who took a JD 400 with a Brantly backhoe and attempted to dig up the pipe. A few hours later, after barely scratching the surface, he called me and asked if I could borrow a 580 Case TBL. I went over which took longer than digging the pipe out.

So in summing it all up go ahead it is your tractor, your investment, Use it as you see fit but when and if it fails don't blame the manufacturer for building a poor product unless they stated it can be used for excavation.

/ FELs and digging #53  
My point is, you buy what you need to do a job correctly. Not on price but on capacity and you don't have that because you bought with your wallet.

The loader on your tractor was put there for loading hay bales not digging ponds. They built dirt pans and dozers for doing that.

/ FELs and digging #54  
I just carved out a rock hillside with a light weight flat tooth bucket on a koyker 80. Went real slow and used the rippers when I could. Had very little space so bucket did most of the work.

Went slow but job is getting done. Just pushing along the top of the rock scraping a few inches at a time.

Might as well use it. If it breaks just fix it.
View attachment 778428View attachment 778429
Not sure on the Koyker 80, but on the K2 K3 and 200 +series FELs they designed the FEL to Tie into the rear axle with heavy supports, a large cross support in the middle where the FEL uprights are and then forward running supports that mount at the front of the tractor.
At least with This style of mounting, much of the stress/force is transferred to the rear axle and is spread out. These new tractors mostly ditched the design and mount mainly to engine side supports.
Koyker's older design May not be Pretty and limits engine access a bit, but if you are going to dig with a non industrial CUT chance of success is probably improved.

/ FELs and digging #55  
The loader on your tractor was put there for loading hay bales not digging ponds. They built dirt pans and dozers for doing that.
The loader on either of my tractors (using the HD excavation bucket) is certainly capable of dirt work. Considering what they weigh it's a non issue. I don't do much however. No need to.

Never dug a pond anyway. Not in my wheelhouse.

/ FELs and digging #56  
Even the flimsyest loader is still going to dig faster than a shovel. Just have to work within its limits.

Rip up a few inches at a time, then scoop it up with the loader. Might take a while but will certainly get done.

I dont care what size the digging machine or intended use is. It will break if not used within its limits.

/ FELs and digging #57  
Often farmers, especially hobby farmers, use what they have. Back in the 70s Dad had a David Brown 990 with a fel. A friend asked if Dad would bring it over and bury a dead cow in his pasture while he was at work. I watched. At about 2 feet deep, progress got real slow. Dad rolled the cow into the bucket, took it to the edge of the field which happened to be the edge of a brushy canyon and dumped it. Then he filled the hole. I think he told his friend. I still have that 990. I also now have a 3 pt. backhoe for it. In the last 15 years or so we've had to bury 4 horses. Using the hoe to dig, and the loader to "fill" makes a hard job easier.

/ FELs and digging #58  
I kind of think "front end loader" means an implement on the front end for picking up and moving loads, from a pile. I fear my little CUT bucket (with a straight edge) isn't meant for cutting into the earth, and if I try to do that, I should go easy, because I'm pushing it out of its intended comfort zone.

But I also think a "backhoe loader" that has teeth on the backhoe bucket and ALSO the front end loader bucket is indeed meant for cutting into the earth. So, it's heavier as well as having teeth.

These seem contradictory. So, how do you tell if a bucket on the front is intended for actual digging? Is it the teeth? Is it the fact that there's also a backhoe on the other end? Putting a tooth bar on my bucket could be taking a bit of a chance with it, right?

Enlighten me please? Thanks!
Look at the following image. On construction (read earth engaging equipment) machines the pins and pin bosses are oversized and frequently use replaceable bronze bushings. The bossess will be 1+ inch thick with gusseting. Now look at your tractor bosses. The are only 1/4 inch thick without gussets and light duty. Using your AG or residential quality tractor will result in premature wear and equipment damage like the image below. Your tractor isn't designed to handle the loads created in earth engaging work.

Attachments

• AD497E78-6640-447B-91E4-FA7AD06DB3F2.jpeg
    AD497E78-6640-447B-91E4-FA7AD06DB3F2.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 84
   / FELs and digging #59  
Look at the following image. On construction (read earth engaging equipment) machines the pins and pin bosses are oversized and frequently use replaceable bronze bushings. The bossess will be 1+ inch thick with gusseting. Now look at your tractor bosses. The are only 1/4 inch thick without gussets and light duty. Using your AG or residential quality tractor will result in premature wear and equipment damage like the image below. Your tractor isn't designed to handle the loads created in earth engaging work.
That looks like more of poor maintenance than anything else. Not an issue with either of my units as I re-machined all the pivots and trunnions and fitted them with Thompson Linear roller bearings and alemite fittings. Even on my 2002, 6000 hour unit, all the pivots are tight with no slop. Neglecting equipment always has a price. On fact, both my tractors get greased every 10 meter hours. Grease is the cheapest commodity you can buy. Use it. Same applies to all my vehicles. Oil changes, filters and fluids get changed regularly and often.

Like I said, I don't dig ponds anyway. I do however load round bales on tractor trailers in the growing season but always with my double bottom excavation bucket and they weigh in the excess of 1000 pounds per.

/ FELs and digging #60  
A loader is what the name implies. If it has teeth then it can be used for for both. If you have sandy soil you can get by with more.