Fence line trimmer

/ Fence line trimmer #21  
Very nice.

/ Fence line trimmer #22  
After running it for a few hours I made a couple of little changes then shot some paint and wired up the electric start.

So some photos of the end result, the last time it will be clean.

Looking again at your design, you have a vertical shaft around which the mower swings. I would have added a horizontal shaft that would allow the mower to move up and down to follow the ground contour. The weight of the engine would be enough to keep the small outboard wheels planted firmly on the ground.

Good luck.

/ Fence line trimmer #23  
Flusher, look closer - next to the vertical shaft there's another pivot point, that's how JW gets the whole thing over the tires to swing out - then there's 2 small wheels it rides on as you suggested, plus a "rebound" spring so it can retract when hitting a post.

VERY cool design JW... Steve

/ Fence line trimmer
Yes the vertical shaft is 1" and has bronze bushings for rotary motion the vertical movement is in the same part the 1x2 tubing is a clevis and polyu bushings I had.

/ Fence line trimmer #25  
I like your set up, does the cutter "slam" back when going around the post, first I do not have a 4 wheeler, or a small tractor, so I would need a little larger unit, but like the simplicity and lightness, of the design.

any problems with the little wheels digging into he dirt, I would think with my sandy soils they would be dug in to the dirt all the time,

/ Fence line trimmer #26  
It does, cut 19" and loop it around a link of chain, welded to the hub. The two I have use two strings but I welded 4 links to this one (only used two of them) to the head to see how it worked.

I have a video of it in action but its too large. This is an example of how far it will cut under an object, as you drive by.

I really wanted it on the front but it was less work to make it attach to the other things we have via 2" ball vs custom mounts on everything.

Upload the video to YouTube, then link it here. I would really like to see this in action.

/ Fence line trimmer
Here you go, a little too fast and I couldn't aim the camera and watch where I was going but you can get the idea.

/ Fence line trimmer #28  
That works perfect. Nice set up you've made!

/ Fence line trimmer #29  
Thanks for the video, it sure words good!!!!

/ Fence line trimmer #30  
JW,

That's really sweet. I'm going to build one using your design. How often do you have to replace the line?