Fence line trimmer

/ Fence line trimmer
JW,

That's really sweet. I'm going to build one using your design. How often do you have to replace the line?

I just put new ones on each time I get it out and hook it up, might be a waste of line but at least I don't have to mess with it once I get going.

/ Fence line trimmer #35  
I really like the action of that one but it looks like your fence would have to be 16" or so off the ground, maybe it was built for horse tracks?

Well it wasnt built for wire mesh fences... Its used for cow and horse rasters.

/ Fence line trimmer #36  
Hi jwmorris,

What an awesome build and very ingenious! It looks like you may have used an actual mower deck spindle for the pulley and cutter? If so, did you have that laying around too or did you purchase it?

I may build one of these using your design. I doubt it could be improved upon. You did a nice job!

/ Fence line trimmer
I used a spindle, pulley and cut the blade down so I had drive splines that connected to the shaft. All of those came off an old MTD riding mower deck I had at the farm. The "cutter" is just a round disk with bent chain links welled to it and then welded to the "keyed" section of mower blade.

/ Fence line trimmer #38  
Am I the only one who just rides the line a couple times a year with a sprayer?

/ Fence line trimmer #40  
I was trimming around trees along the edge of my property today with my walk behind trimmer. It uses the same kind of hangers and line that the above mentioned trimmer uses. I went through five pieces of the four sided .155 nylon line trimming weeds and grass about one foot tall around about 35 trees. Is that normal or is my trimmer line too soft?