Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts

/ Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts #21  
You may want to try pushing 4" pipe in the ground with your loader bucket. I used it for corner posts. I don't have a problem pushing metal posts in with the loader bucket, it is fast and easy.

/ Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts #22  
It is interesting to hear all the recommendations on fencing. It varies somewhat but the general principles are similar. It sort of depends on location, weather, purpose, how much work involved and cost. Here in Nebr., the ground is relatively rock free and drier than many other locations. For cattle, I use 5" wood creosote posts, augered in the ground and tamped in place. 6" or larger posts, braced in the corners and for longer runs, posts braced in the fence row. Occasionally, will use alternating wood and steel T posts. Creosote posts in our area will last 30-40+ years. Cattle can be abusive and push on fences even with barb wire. Horses will certainly push on smooth wire fences but an electric wire keeps the horses off the fence but the electric fence needs to be charged and maintained.
T posts have the potential to cut/injure horses much more than wood posts due to sharp top end. I used to be a veternarian and have treated my share of horse injuries due to T posts. I would not use T posts for an enclosure or smaller pen with horses.

/ Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts #23  
Absolutely right.... horses and T post pen won't work... pasture fencing is OK, particularly if electrified.

Also, old timey cresote posts did last a long time... my experience with modern treated pine posts (not cresote) is that they are a waste of money.

/ Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts #24  
This thread has been very educational for me. I know nothing about fencing. However, I do know that many power companies are going back to good ole cresote power poles after being disappointed with pressure treated poles. The treated poles were not holding up nearly as long.

/ Fencing question: Wood posts vs Metal t-posts #25  
banjopkr said:
The 3" diameter H-sections. Do you buy them or are you welding them up yourselves? I know there are many ways to do the corners & bracing, the metal will surely not rot!
Thanks to everyone for all your input!

I'll weld them up myself. If I can't get enough out of my shop-size Hobart stick welder I can borrow a neighbor's big Lincoln.