Spreader Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200???

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #61  
Oh, and just one other thing, keep your fangles, hands, body parts, cloths, ropes, chains etc away from a PTO shaft or you will be very sorry--never touch a shaft when the tractor is running even if the PTO is disengaged--just like never pointing a gun--never--never touch it. J

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200???
JR,

Thanks so much for taking the time to take the measurements. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #63  
Theboman,

I went looking for one and was set on the Herd. The dealer was all set to order it up when I mentioned spreading lime in addition to the seed and fertilizer. He didn't think it would so after a few calls to Herd and their other location the 750 was recommended (or another brand - Befco) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So after much searching I didn't come to a solution for one unit to spread seed, fertilizer, and lime pellets well (well being the key word). Seems you can get good metering for spreading seed or good spread of pelletized lime but they are at different ends of the spectrum.

I would like to hear if any of the Herd M-96 owners have had success spreading the pelletized lime.

And if any of the Befco, LandPride, FarmStar, Cosmo, KingKutter, etc. cone unit owners would like to comment on spreading seed please feel free.

Thanks,
Michael

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #64  
Michael,

I have the Herd spreeder but have never used it for lime. I am not familiar with the pelletized lime but would thinkif it is pelletizedit should work. Maybe try sending an email to the people at herdseeder and ask them.

murph

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #65  
Murph,

Thanks for the reply. We did call Herd and they said to use the model 750 for lime and the M-96 for seed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I was just wondering if anyone with a M-96 actually tried it with lime. It would be nice if it would suffice for the occasional lime application instead of buying two units.

Thanks,
Michael

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #66  
Michael,

To me buying two units would not be worth it. I wonder if I could find some pelletized lime and see what it looks like. You can open the port on the M-96 pretty far. I mean like at least an inch or so. I would think as long as it is not a powder it would go through ok, you just might have some trouble with correct coverage but I don't think lime is really that important if you get too much on. How soon are you looking to get one, maybe I could go out tonight or tomorrow and look around some. Also where abouts in Wisconsin are you?

murph

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200???
Well after placing my order for the M96 TODAY, I guess I will see how well it spreads lime. I would be more concerned for spreading fertilizer then lime. As someone said, lime application is not as critical as the fertilizer application. So guys, it does a good job of spreading seed and fertilizer???

If not,tell me now so I can cancel the order in the morning. Anyone know if the Landpride unit is any better, dealer said I could get either one for the same price.

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #68  
Pellatized lime and pellitized gypsum are widely avaialble. I have used both.I have also use Ironex (is that right) and various fertilizers. The lime and gypsum throw great. The fertilizers except for the powdered chemical type like Scotts work great also. Seeds???--heck yes, the M96 throws all kinds of seads fron tinsy little clover to bermuda to Fescue to Broam. You have to, of course, learn the settings for each type of material and your preference in coverage and density. I have also broadcast some pellatized insectisides when mixed with fertilizer such as Diazonon etc. Powdered materials, sand, salt etc are not what the M96 was intended for though I imagine it would throw salt I think it would rust the unit out quickly. J

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #69  
Murph, If the port opens to an inch I would think pelletized lime should work fine. It is just lime in a small pellet rather than powder that bridges and sticks with any moisture.

Tom, It sounds like we're talking to the same dealer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Mine made me the same offer, Herd or LandPride for the same amount. He stocks the LandPride units and they look big and strong. I think they would throw the fertilizer and lime just fine but won't have the fine settings needed for grass seed. I also think they are Italian made units (Cosmo?) rebadged for LP. The Cosmo unit rebadged for KingKutter are on sale for $100 less at the local Mill's Fleet Farm and the FarmStar clone is $20 less than that at Blain's Farm & Fleet (both sold out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). The Herd is a very nice unit though, better fit and finish throughout.

TresCrows, Thanks for the info, sounds like it covers all the bases. I don't want to go for the salt/sand route as that makes for a short life. Most of those units are stainless or poly around here. Here being NW WI between the Twin Cities of MN and Eau Claire, WI.

Thanks all!
Michael

/ Fertilizer Spreader BX 2200??? #70  
This just in. At Davis Farm Equipment in Ashland, Ky I seen a very cool tow behind broadcast spreader. It looks to be nearly the size of one that mounts on the 3pt hitch, but it works off its axle instead of a PTO. It hooks up via a clevis hitch (I think that's what it's called) that looks like this ]
I think the price was around $320 but I wasn't looking just noticed those numbers on a tag and that could have been an ID or something.

The wheels looked to be about 8-10" tall, 3" wide and an ag type design.
There was a nice adjustment scale on the speader's throw adjustment.

I wouldn't mind having one of these speaders that can easily be towed my a tractor or ATV or lawn tractor for those with serious yards (ballfields) mainenance.