Filled tires or wheel weights?

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #21  
Somewhere I read that RimGuard can foam if pumped too quickly.
I probably didn't see it in terms of how many gallons per minute or hose size, but it might be something to consider.
I might have sub-consciously avoided having to hold a cordless drill and pump for ???
some number of tens of minutes, you might want to check on what sort of flow rate you are likely to get, i.e. the boasted flow de-rated for viscosity, head, etc.
The passage through the part of the fill adapter that passes into the valve is very small indeed and is likely the limiter.

I noticed on the rimguard website that it can foam if pumped too quickly. I am planning on trying to fill my own tires with rimguard and i am hoping i dont screw up .:D

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #22  
We use WW fluid around here. We made a 5 gallon bucket with a hose coming out of the bottom then a ball valve at the end near the hookup to the tire. Just park the tractor near a tree or in your pole barn and throw a rope over a limb or truss and hang the bucket 10' up or so. Get the valve stem at the 12 o-clock position and place the tractor on a jack stand, remove the schrader valve, and let it flow.

We like WW fluid because its the least toxic of them all. You tear a tire like my buddy did on his 8N with calcium and you will not have grass for 5 plus years. He finally had it dug out and 2 dump trucks of new top soil brought in to get grass back.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Filled tires or wheel weights? #23  
We use WW fluid around here. We made a 5 gallon bucket with a hose coming out of the bottom then a ball valve at the end near the hookup to the tire. Just park the tractor near a tree or in your pole barn and throw a rope over a limb or truss and hang the bucket 10' up or so. Get the valve stem at the 12 o-clock position and place the tractor on a jack stand, remove the schrader valve, and let it flow.

We like WW fluid because its the least toxic of them all. You tear a tire like my buddy did on his 8N with calcium and you will not have grass for 5 plus years. He finally had it dug out and 2 dump truck of new top soil brought in to get grass back.

Chris

Chris,
How do you determine when the fill level has reached "full"? I want to fill mine to about 1" over the wheels, wouldn't I turn the valve stem to 9 o clock or so? Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #24  
Is my part of the world the only place they use regular anti freeze mix just like in an engine?

KT my dealer used rv/marine antifreeze. It's biodegradable and non-toxic. A little better than regular green antifreeze if you spring a leak.

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #26  
Chris,
How do you determine when the fill level has reached "full"? I want to fill mine to about 1" over the wheels, wouldn't I turn the valve stem to 9 o clock or so? Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

I am sure that would work. What I did was search the net for a tire capacity chart. All you need to know the size of tire you want to fill. By the way WW fluid weighs 8.26#'s/gallon so its slightly heavier than water at 8#'s/gallon.

Here is a chart I just found. http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/publist/200series/210104-1.pdf

Chris

Last edited:
   / Filled tires or wheel weights? #27  
Is there an additive you can put in a fluid filled tire to stop a leak in case there's a puncture?

I am not sure if you could put slime in or not? Maybe oatmeal???? By the way WW fluid weighs 8.26#'s/gallon so its slightly heavier than water at 8#'s/gallon.

Here is slimes site. Maybe some info on there. http://www.slime.com/

Chris

Last edited:
   / Filled tires or wheel weights? #28  
The toxic effect of some of these fluids can be a problem if you slash a tire. My well is not that deep so I went with RimGuard. It's just sugar beet juice. If sugar did get into your well bacteria would eat it pretty quick.

After they squeeze the beets to get table sugar out they squeeze it some more. The extra squeeze changes the taste a bit so it is not usable for sugar.

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #29  
A comment on the comments about change in "ride".
Having loaded my tires, switched back to empty turfs and now back to loaded tires I guess I would now describe the empty tire ride as too bouncy - say like a 50s Cadillac with shocks that went out 100,000 miles ago. WAY too much spring, but no shocks. This should be no surprise, tractor tires are HUGE air bags.
By comparison the filled tires are less bouncy, not saying you stay down hard as in a sports car, but the lack of leaping around is generally better.
By no means is there a "solid wheels" ride, which I think some people expect with filled tires.

The only sealant product I could find that had any sort of claim to work with filled tires was a Prestone yellow product. I don't remember the name, but it was a LOT more expensive than the Prestone sealant sold in Walmart - even after taking Walmart pricing into account.

I havn't had a puncture - or maybe I have - how would I know ?
Seriously, I havn't found anything sticking out the tire with a yellow scab around it.
Absence of evidence not being evidence of absence, etc.

/ Filled tires or wheel weights? #30  
I am not sure if you could put slime in or not? Maybe oatmeal???? By the way WW fluid weighs 8.26#'s/gallon so its slightly heavier than water at 8#'s/gallon.

Here is slimes site. Maybe some info on there. SLIME Flat Tire Repair - Smart Solutions for Flat Tire Prevention: ATV, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Lawn Tractor

Chris

PREMIXED WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID

According to this, -20 WWF has a specific gravity of 0.908 or only 90% as dense as straight water. That makes sense as methanol is less dense than water and it is about 30% methanol.