Finally decided on welding machine

/ Finally decided on welding machine #11  
that is one of the best welders you could have purchased. But get the gas cyl. and weld with gas shielded arc cause you will get less splatter. Believe me I know. retired welder( 30 yrs).

/ Finally decided on welding machine
Henro, I've spent some time on the Hobart site, and it is informative. Looks like a good place to spend time soaking in the info.

Deerlope, The machine is to be delivered tomorrow. The supplier quoted a 40cf cylinder with the other stuff, but since the machine, extra tips, wire, etc. ran a tad over $700 it looked like the cylinder could wait a week or two. What gas would you recommend? It seems like a lot of people use 75/25. I'll have to ask our shop guys what they use too. The shop foreman said they use .030 wire for almost everything. I'm not sure how applicable some of the info from our shop will be because they use real big machines............................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #13  
Chim,

Did you see this thread at the hobart site?

MM175 problem solved!

Dan is a pretty accomplished welder and posts a lot there, including a lot of pictures. Apparently he was having a problem with his MM175. Something to keep in mind, just in case... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Henro thanks for the note. I haven't been to the weld site much today. Spent a good part of the afternoon at a pistol match. There was a discussion where a tech was going to send Dan a circuit board to try. Looks like I'll need to check my spring tomorrow when the machine shows up....................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #15  
Chim, My company used what they call star gas. Its a combination of 3 different kinds of gas. works very well. But for the life of me I can not remember what the 3 kinds are. But I can find out.

/ Finally decided on welding machine #16  
As another retired welder, go with the gas shielded arc. I really don't know what the gas was where I worked as it was Fruehauf and they just filled then and didn't tell us with what. Of course I also welded aluminum, with another kind of gas, and then stick, so they furnished it so didn't ask. I don't like intershield, I have been certified on it, but I still don't like it, too much splatter.

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I have to wait another day to play - delivery didn't com in. Next purchase will be a full gas bottle.........................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #18  
Chim
I use something the welding shop calls steel mix. I'm pretty sure it's 75%CO2 and 25%Ar. The argon make the weld lay down flatter as I understand it. You can go with just CO2.

What size of bottle are you going to get? I think I paid about $125 for a 150lb bottle. I should have got the full size bottle. For most hobby uses the 150lb is fine but I don't live that close to the welding shop so getting gas is kind of a pain.
Eric

Eric, I don't have the info here at home (gotta use up some vacation time). I thought the supplier quoted something around $140 for a filled bottle that was 3 feet tall? I'll have to check - could be my "remembry" isn't 100%. That mix is one that gets frequent mention so it doesn't look like I could go wrong. Thanks.......................chim

/ Finally decided on welding machine #20  
Chim
Haun welding supply calls the star gas mix, mix 36
88% Argon
10% carbon dioxide
2% oxygen
The size of the tank does not matter. Its just how much that you weld and how often you have to get it refilled. If you do a lot of welding then you might want a big tank. Just remember that when you leave the shop after a welding project to shut the tank valve off cause they , the valve sometimes leak a little. It is possible to lost a whole tank of gas overnight. Good luck.