Comparison Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #1  

moodyda

Looked at both an drove both. The deere was a better ride, but the cub has everything including more HP, larger deck, tighter turn, sturdier frame, similar decks albiet the Cub is 50" to JD 42", and finally they both use a Kawasaki. Which to choose? JD about 3k and the CC at 2k.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050
Wondering about both trannies, and if either is worth the risk or should I look for a Garden Tractor?

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #3  
If you are just going to mow, and have a fairly flat yard, either will be fine. If you are going to try to pull some weight (say a cart filled with dirt or rocks) or have steep hills, get something more rugged.

If you are just going to mow, and have a fairly flat yard, either will be fine. If you are going to try to pull some weight (say a cart filled with dirt or rocks) or have steep hills, get something more rugged.

I will be cutting 1.3 acres of somewhat hilly and sloped land in rural West Palm Beach, FL. The hills are from the house built up on an ant hill, and the slope comes from the swale between the main road and my property. As far as lugging goes, I will be moving some dirt and mulch arround the property, and not that often. BTW some have recommended a ZTR, but at about 2-3k I believe that I would still be getting crap. Any thoughts?

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #5  
I'm no expert but I'm thinking you will get better long term durability from a good garden tractor. Perhaps something like a Ingersoll or a mid to late 90's Simplicity Sovereign. The only issue is the more rugged machines tend to cost more. It has been a long time since I priced a ingersoll but there are not cheap. I hope others here will offer suggestions. The JD 400 is supposed to be a good machine as well.

Another option is to find a nice used Kubota BX. Perhaps one of the little 18hp models like the 1860 or the earlier versions like the BX1500. But your budget is going up quite a bit compared to the $3k you had been planning on spending. I think Kubota still is offering 0% for 60months? But now I have you into a much heavier, larger, more expensive machine then a JD x300 lawn tractor. There is no question a little 18hp BX is a great value, its just a lot of money for someone who was looking to spend $2-3K for a mower.

Perhaps someone else can speak up and provide some info on the JD x500 series, if the tranny is decent.

With a $3k budget I think you are either going to have to go 10+ years old used or you are going to have to up the budget. Or get a cheep lawn mower and hope for the best. If it dies you are only?? out a few $k.

I don't know if a ZTR can pull a cart? I thought they generally are strictly mowers. Might not meet your needs.

Do you have a set budget?

It seems that I am stuck in the middle. I do not want to go the cheapo $1k Craftsman that I have now LT1000. But after reading other reports I feel that I did real well for my first purchase. I have put 350 hours on this 2001 model and I have been rough on it. It has a 42" cut a 17hp Kohler Pro and a Hydrostatic trannie that is just fine. But I am tired of repairing it, of which all I do myself, although they all have been many minor repairs with parts you can get readily online at sears.com. I don't mind the upkeep but it seems like thid tractor has had enough. I was hoping that spending a little more ie. The Cub Cadet LTX 1050 with its 9 gauge steel frame, 12 gauge 50" cutting deck, 12" turn radius, and 22HP Kawasaki engine that's what I would be getting. I do not know what type of trannie is in the Cub, but it comes with a 3 year full warranty and a 5 year Limited warranty. Ihave researched and it loooks that in order to truly get to the next level you need to spend $4k plus, which I find hard to do especially in these economic times. I definately against something use; just because! Should I just try to get another season out of my current unit?? I really would like to upgrade but at what cost? John Deere dealer has tried to convince me that the x300 is for me or the similarly priced ZTR 225 (but will not last as long), but I am really afraid of spending $3k on a tractor that may fail do to the inferior K46 trannie. They do come with a 4 year 300 hour "Limited Warranty". I guess I could go for the x320 which now pushes the $4k range and its K58 trannie.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #7  
The K58 seems like a safer bet to me. The beefier tranny would be worth it to me, but I'm a little gun shy having been burned before. The 48" deck is also probably a good idea with 1.3 acre of cutting. I used to cut that size lawn with a 44" and it took a little while. That K58 is also used on the bigger x360 I think there is a reason why the x320 is $1k more for a machine that looks similar to the x300. I think the money is inside the machine.

I would be careful of something that offers all the bells and whistles at a low price. They have taken the money out of somewhere to put in the bells and whistles (like the cub with the big deck, the Kawi motor, etc). My experience has been what seems like it does not offer much for the money is often the better value in the long run. I think that Ingersoll is a extreme example. I think the x320 would be a good long term choice for you. Just my 2 cents...

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #8  
Only 9 year from the one you have now ? did you buy it used? i have 30 years on the one i have now. eveyone i know gets 20- 30 years out of a lawn mower. but everyone i know had deere, allis, simplicity, or a cub. again they are all at least 15-30 y o a I have a Allis

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #9  
Only 9 year from the one you have now ? did you buy it used? i have 30 years on the one i have now. eveyone i know gets 20- 30 years out of a lawn mower. but everyone i know had deere, allis, simplicity, or a cub. again they are all at least 15-30 y o a I have a Allis

That is exactly why they last 20-30 years. The machines from 30 years ago are nothing like the mowers of today. The old machines were made like little tractors. There is no comparison between a 30 year old lawn mower and a new mower (be it JD, CC, Simplicity, etc). The ingersoll is the only mower I know of that is still made like the old machines.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #10  
In my opinion the 1050 is one heck of a tractor for the price. With the upgrades from the base 1000 series tractors to the 1050 I'm surprised the price diff. isn't more. I think you would be just fine with the Cub in your situation. Good Luck!