Comparison Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #21  
Most of the property is low lying (this time of year somewhat under water). I am originally from a rural area in NJ that was in the mountains and this is nowhere the same. It is hilly due to the fact that the house is built up on an anthill which creates short but somewhat steep inclines in areas arround the house (the builder did me no justice), but it is what it is. I believe that the Cub Cadet 1050 can handle it, I just want the thing arround 15 to 20 years:D

I'm not really sure it is reasonable to expect 15-20 years from any entry level lawn tractor, be it a CC, JD, Simplicity, Toro, you name it. I really am not trying to put down the JD LX, CC 10 series, Simplicity Regent, etc but for a manufacturer to retail a machine around $2k means they have severely cut costs everywhere possible. They are trying to get the majority of units sold to outlast the warranty period. They can not deliver a 20 year machine for $2000 retail. I don't think it is possible. If you are seriously thinking long term I think a step from entry level is essential. Then go fairly easy on it and be fanatical with the maintenance. It will be cheaper in the long run...

One recent data point I can add. My neighbor bought a JD LT (133 I think) three years ago from the local JD dealer. His entire yard is steep slopes, about 2/3 acre total mowing. He went through three trannies in the first summer of mowing, all under warranty. When the second replacement died, the dealer delivered a x300 replacement. I don't know how the money worked out, I didn't ask. This x300 has seen two summers of use and so far seems to be holding up. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
   / Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #22  
The J.D. mower site lists the transmission type for a X324 as a K58.

thanks. the k58 seems to get pretty good reviews?

id love to see a list with all the big brands models, engines and trans listed, plus all known weak points,,,,i guess i can dream:D

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #23  
Most of the property is low lying (this time of year somewhat under water). I am originally from a rural area in NJ that was in the mountains and this is nowhere the same. It is hilly due to the fact that the house is built up on an anthill which creates short but somewhat steep inclines in areas arround the house (the builder did me no justice), but it is what it is. I believe that the Cub Cadet 1050 can handle it, I just want the thing arround 15 to 20 years:D

How tall is this 'ant hill' above the surrounding property, and what kind of inclines (approximate degrees of slope or run/rise or percent) are you talking about.

I agree with other posters that if you want something that's going to last 15 - 20 years, you'll need to spend more money.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050
Pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a new Cub Cadet LTX 1050 and it runs and cuts great. This thing doesn't break a sweat, almost seems like too much machine, compared to my old LT 1000. I really enjoy the foot pedal drive as opposed to the hand lever. The 50" inch deck makes a huge difference, but it is a little weird getting used to the sheer size of this beast. And all I can say for the 22 HP Kawasaki engine is "WOW", you hardly even can tell it is working. It seems like there should be more throttle as this thing just hums. The only weird thing is that when you engage the PTO it changes its tone a little bit, but then it is back to its nonchalant and effortless sound as it mows through the thickest stuff. I guess I am just not used to it. The only negative is the whine the tranny makes when it hits a hill, hope this is no indicator.
I guess if I get lucky and get 6-10 years out of it and the tranny is the only thing to go, I could then get a k58, or whatever is good then, and slap it on for about $1k and get another 10 or 20 out of that. Then that will be my $3k 20 year tractor:)

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #25  
Congrats on the new tractor. Everything should work out for you. The whining you are hearing when you hit the hills is a normal noise the the tractor takes on a load. It should quiet down once you get your momentum going again though.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050
Congrats on the new tractor. Everything should work out for you. The whining you are hearing when you hit the hills is a normal noise the the tractor takes on a load. It should quiet down once you get your momentum going again though.

It does, thanks.