Finally, new work lights II

/ Finally, new work lights II #1  

Lockport

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT235
Lets try this again::D

After much gathering of parts and switch selection (not to mention finding the time) I have finally finished my lights.

I ran a pair of aft facing halogens, fore facing halogens, and allocated provisions for a flashing amber I intend to mount on the ROPS as soon as I find an LED that suits. I also attempted to switch the rear power tap under the seat that I have connected a marine grade cigarette outlet to but that intereferred with the fuel solonoid at shutdown so will have to run wires from the outlet to the switch and back again.

One of the most interesting upgrades was, I changed over the fusebox to a ten circuit, dust proof box I acquired that I will secure to the orange tracter frame pilar on the right and in front of the rad.

attachment.php

I grounded the lights under the seat and will give it a shot of grey paint, later.

attachment.php

For brackets I had some plates made that were cold welded to the ROPs with my previous lights, but I decided to have some U bolts shortened and threaded at the same machine shop and drill my old plates to accomodate the new setup. The lights are particukarly suited as they have big rubber isolation bushings that bo right through the holes. The wires have a steel braid protecting them and each is a 100 watt Halogen H3 bilb. If the tractor is idling at 1140 RPM, it will drop to 1100 when you turn on one pair. Adding the rear will only drop to 1090 RPM.

attachment.php

Herer are the lights from a distance. I will find black wire ties as the whites are just too hard on the eyes!:D

attachment.php

This project box is just a little too small and I will need to shop around to find something more suitable. I had to drill out the screw receivers to get the dust proof, weather resistant switches to fit. I like the fact they illuminate.

attachment.php

I was under the impression that if I tapped into the circuit by the starter the circuits would be switched. Unfortunantly, this was an incorrect assumption on my part and wanted to get the project done so I tapped into here anyway. I put a similar tap on the frame just opposite for ground.

attachment.php

Finally, getting the nod of approval of my supervisor.

attachment.php

The lights powered up!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81025&d=1184127670

Attachments

• Fuse Box.jpg
    Fuse Box.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5,379
  • Ground.jpg
    Ground.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 981
  • Brackets.jpg
    Brackets.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 865
  • Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 802
  • Power_Tap.jpg
    Power_Tap.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 650
  • Switches.jpg
    Switches.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 883
  • Sprite2.jpg
    Sprite2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 703
  • Lights_on.jpg
    Lights_on.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 382
   / Finally, new work lights II #2  
That's hot. Lots of light fore and aft with independent control. Love the clean switches mounted to the FEL control. Looks like you have the 4-way that stays with the tractor when the FEL is removed...nice. Mine goes away, which is nice in some ways, but a bummer in others. Imperative for your snowblower, I guess.

Very nice. Something to aspire to.

/ Finally, new work lights II #3  
BX2230_Lockport said:
...and each is a 100 watt Halogen H3 bilb. If the tractor is idling at 1140 RPM, it will drop to 1100 when you turn on one pair. Adding the rear will only drop to 1090 RPM.
Not to be Major Buzzkill here, but... Do you have a HD alternator? Even so, you're probably still overloading the charging system. I think the stock work light kit is a single 35W bulb (3 amps). Each of your bulbs draws 8.3 amps at peak output, 4 of them require 33 amps. In reality you're probably not getting anywhere close to 100W out of them (you would notice them dim as you turn each one on) because the system can't supply it and the losses are too great. I have 100W H3s for driving lights on one of my cars...when they're getting the power they need, they project about a half-mile away.
On a happier note, your install looks real clean. I especially like the switches.

/ Finally, new work lights II
DiezNutz said:
Not to be Major Buzzkill here, but... Do you have a HD alternator?

I do. I believe it generates 40 amps:D

DiezNutz said:
Even so, you're probably still overloading the charging system. I think the stock work light kit is a single 35W bulb (3 amps). Each of your bulbs draws 8.3 amps at peak output, 4 of them require 33 amps. In reality you're probably not getting anywhere close to 100W out of them (you would notice them dim as you turn each one on) because the system can't supply it and the losses are too great.

Actually, I had both fore and afts on last night AND the regular headlights while bushhogging until 11:00 PM and I don't notice any dimming at all. In fact, I was overwhelmed at how bright they are. I have video on my camcorder but I can't copy it from the mini disc to the computer until it is finalized and I don't want to lose my clips.

DiezNutz said:
I have 100W H3s for driving lights on one of my cars...when they're getting the power they need, they project about a half-mile away.

It is over a 1/4 mile to the end of my street in front and I drove up to it while returning to the garage, last night. A car was down at the end by the stop sign and as I turned in a circle on the road you could see its reflectors illuminate as the beam traversed its path.

DiezNutz said:
On a happier note, your install looks real clean. I especially like the switches.

I'll post the video when I finish that side of the mini disc. I was astounded at how well they did work. They were no indications, whatsever, of a lack of available electrical power.

Attachments

• Night_Hog.jpg
    Night_Hog.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 239
   / Finally, new work lights II
OK, Check it out. This is a video. This is with both pairs of 100w H3 fore and aft AND the regular headlights on. Check it out. Its about 10:30 at night. (obviously):D

Night Hogging

/ Finally, new work lights II #7  
BX2230_Lockport said:
OK, Check it out. This is a video. This is with both pairs of 100w H3 fore and aft AND the regular headlights on. Check it out. Its about 10:30 at night. (obviously):D

Night Hogging

Awesome!!!

I'd Like to do something like that in my 3030 when it arrives on friday!

Thanks for the movies........
Swmpbgy1

/ Finally, new work lights II #8  
Nice video, but you are working way past my bedtime!:D

/ Finally, new work lights II #9  
HOLY GEEZ!!! :eek:

You could be off-roading with those lights! :D

/ Finally, new work lights II #10  
Nice job! Thanks for sharing your project. Looks like those light cans will serve as extra counter-weight for loader work too. ;) They seem a little large in relation to the size of the tractor. Do you think that maybe they need to be aimed a little lower? In the video it looked like the beam was focused pretty high in the trees.

I've been planning on mounting some work lights on my tractor too, hopefully your post will motivate me to get that done.