Finding that car again!

/ Finding that car again! #31  
Hurst made shifthers, which were OEM on a lot of cars made by the big three.

/ Finding that car again! #33  
Hurst did a couple things. For older transmissions that used external linkage and shifter, they made a nicer version than the factory(ie Ford, Chevy). And, they made various versions; short throw ect.

Hurst is also an important company; they were huge in development of the Hurst too. That tool was developed to help get race car drivers out of wrecked cars. Now, Hurst tools, and their variants are found on fire engines around the worl; the "Jaws of Life".

This "Hurst", is it a specific type of shifting, or a transmission ?

/ Finding that car again! #34  
Lots of found memories driving from SF to Vancouver Canada at age 16 in a 71 Mustang Convertible with 351 Cleavland and Hurst Shifter... I had forgotten about the Rim-Blow horn on the steering wheel...

Drove it for two years and sold it for a little more than I had paid...

My GTO had the Hurst shifter. My brother's Pantera had the Cleavland.

/ Finding that car again! #36  
   / Finding that car again! #38  
Hurst Tool:
About Us
Browse Products

Hurst is also an important company; they were huge in development of the Hurst too. That tool was developed to help get race car drivers out of wrecked cars. Now, Hurst tools, and their variants are found on fire engines around the worl; the "Jaws of Life".

/ Finding that car again! #39  

May be a bit late here, but for many years the now departed Oldsmobile line of cars had special edition Hurst models, mostly Cutlass 4-4-2's-- many converted by an aftermarket company in Lansing, Michigan. Also, for a few years, Hurst offered it's own brand of aftermarket custom wheels. I remember their ads featuring them on mid-60's cars like the GTO and Chevelle SS 396.

/ Finding that car again! #40  
My GTO had the Hurst shifter. My brother's Pantera had the Cleavland.

I've only driven a Pantera a few times... I did like the way they drove and the mid engine set up.

I was not used to the shifting "Gate"... it took some getting used to because each gear had a slot for the shifter.