Buying Advice Finding the right tractor.

/ Finding the right tractor.
Do you know how long Kabota make parts for there tractors? It looks like all the Japan tractors after 15 to 20 years have problems with parts. Or am I wrong?

/ Finding the right tractor. #22  
any tractor.. if used.. will need repair.

models made for the domestic market usually fair better with parts.. and models with large production runs.

small production run models.. and low replace parts like front end and some cranks on some samller jap imports are getting darn hard to find..

/ Finding the right tractor. #23  
Going through the process right now. I've driven the Max 25 and 28, the JD 1026R and a used 2305. Kioti Ck20 HST, Bobcat CT122. I've decided after being on them a bit that my long term needs put mowing at a premium. That said I ruled out the Mahindra 28 Max...just really too big to be a yard mower. The Max 25 is borderline and as much grief as Don87 takes on this site I'd have to agree that the Max models are in a different category than the BX and JD 1 series. They are definitely more tractor and less mower while I see the BX, MF GC2400/2600, 1023E/1026R and Kioti CS2410 as true subcompacts...more mower than tractor.

The one that stands out IMO is the 1026R...the deck is the clincher. The problem is the price. You can get a nice Tractor/FEL plus a nice ZT Mower for the price of the 1026R. I can get a Bobcat CT122 (same as Kioti CK20 HST) for 10,200 brand new 2011. Add 6K on a Badboy 60" mower and you've got a lot of equipment for the money. That said, the 1026R is tempting with its flexibility and size...and depending on property size and needs, may be the best choice for me.

/ Finding the right tractor. #24  
7Pilks said:
Going through the process right now. I've driven the Max 25 and 28, the JD 1026R and a used 2305. Kioti Ck20 HST, Bobcat CT122. I've decided after being on them a bit that my long term needs put mowing at a premium. That said I ruled out the Mahindra 28 Max...just really too big to be a yard mower. The Max 25 is borderline and as much grief as Don87 takes on this site I'd have to agree that the Max models are in a different category than the BX and JD 1 series. They are definitely more tractor and less mower while I see the BX, MF GC2400/2600, 1023E/1026R and Kioti CS2410 as true subcompacts...more mower than tractor.

The one that stands out IMO is the 1026R...the deck is the clincher. The problem is the price. You can get a nice Tractor/FEL plus a nice ZT Mower for the price of the 1026R. I can get a Bobcat CT122 (same as Kioti CK20 HST) for 10,200 brand new 2011. Add 6K on a Badboy 60" mower and you've got a lot of equipment for the money. That said, the 1026R is tempting with its flexibility and size...and depending on property size and needs, may be the best choice for me.

If you got with the 1026r you will have 1 machine that does it all. There will be only 1 machine to maintain and store. Once you run a subcompact you will see that they are really a tractor.

/ Finding the right tractor. #25  
If you got with the 1026r you will have 1 machine that does it all. There will be only 1 machine to maintain and store. Once you run a subcompact you will see that they are really a tractor.

Yep...that's the tug of war in my case. I used to own 10 acres...had a 62" Zero Turn which I beat to death. I had a MF135 w/o loader...fairly limited use other than box blade and brush hog. I ended up with my 345 and really like the HST and the low maintenance. Our new property is 4 acres with 2.5 acres of mowing (about an acre of real yard). The balance is unimproved timber and fairly steep slopes so I don't see much happening in the woods other than cutting firewood and hiking.

/ Finding the right tractor. #26  
7Pilks said:
Yep...that's the tug of war in my case. I used to own 10 acres...had a 62" Zero Turn which I beat to death. I had a MF135 w/o loader...fairly limited use other than box blade and brush hog. I ended up with my 345 and really like the HST and the low maintenance. Our new property is 4 acres with 2.5 acres of mowing (about an acre of real yard). The balance is unimproved timber and fairly steep slopes so I don't see much happening in the woods other than cutting firewood and hiking.

I think bigger tractor like a b2620 kubota or a 2520 JD or larger may be better if you want to use it in the woods cutting firewood but I understamd you don't want something too big for mowing.

/ Finding the right tractor. #27  
Don87,
You keep bringing this up on threads but I don't get your point? These are the same weight, length, width and abilities as other so called subcompacts. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see. I haven't seen where any of these categories are carved in stone, and don't see anything misleading with Mahindra selling these as subcompact tractors. Maybe we should call all of these 3/4 ton tractors or little bity tractors or super riding mowers.:confused3:
Actually, they are longer, wider, taller and have stronger hydraulics. It's all in the specs.

I don't begrudge anyone that buys one, don't get me wrong.

My beef is that Mahindra used the exact design of their previous CUT(which couldn't compete in the real world), put smaller tires on it, and now claim they are the best subcompact made. JD, Massey, Kubota, or Kioti could do the same thing if they wanted to 'mislead' buyers.

I guess it's just the .............'code of ehics'........... that Mahindra has violated that gets me the most.

To 94BULLIT and 7Pilks. Thank you...........I had to go back on the road and couldn't answer in a timely fashion.

/ Finding the right tractor. #28  
I just bought a 1026r. Waiting for two implements to arrive so I haven't even taken delivery yet but I can tell you why I went with the Deere. Comfort and convenience. It is plush in comparison to the others and is simply a cut above the rest feature wise. In the end it was between the 1026 and a bx2660 which brings me to the price. In this area, south eastern corner of Michigan, the prices between Kubota and Deere were virtually identical. In fact the Deere was $82.00 cheaper. And there have also been enough of them sold around these parts to get a feel for what people think of them and other than some who wish they had gone bigger, no one I've spoken to is disappointed with their choice.

Plastics. I am a project manager in the construction industry and I have watched the evolution of high strength composites. While there were some problems early on they are now, in the applications where they are used, superior to the metals they have replaced. They are stronger and lighter and they don't deteriorate. Properly used plastics are a positive--not a liability. You can bet those who tout their use of steel over plastics are doing so while they develop plans to incorporate them in their future products. It is simply inevitable.

In the end, once you decide what size you need and acknowledging that there will always be someone with a bad experience with something you're considering, I don't think there is a dime's worth of difference between the major players in terms of reliability. There really aren't any bad choices. Get the one that "fits" you best.

/ Finding the right tractor. #29  
MarkChambers said:
I just bought a 1026r. Waiting for two implements to arrive so I haven't even taken delivery yet but I can tell you why I went with the Deere. Comfort and convenience. It is plush in comparison to the others and is simply a cut above the rest feature wise. In the end it was between the 1026 and a bx2660 which brings me to the price. In this area, south eastern corner of Michigan, the prices between Kubota and Deere were virtually identical. In fact the Deere was $82.00 cheaper. And there have also been enough of them sold around these parts to get a feel for what people think of them and other than some who wish they had gone bigger, no one I've spoken to is disappointed with their choice.

Plastics. I am a project manager in the construction industry and I have watched the evolution of high strength composites. While there were some problems early on they are now, in the applications where they are used, superior to the metals they have replaced. They are stronger and lighter and they don't deteriorate. Properly used plastics are a positive--not a liability. You can bet those who tout their use of steel over plastics are doing so while they develop plans to incorporate them in their future products. It is simply inevitable.

In the end, once you decide what size you need and acknowledging that there will always be someone with a bad experience with something you're considering, I don't think there is a dime's worth of difference between the major players in terms of reliability. There really aren't any bad choices. Get the one that "fits" you best.

You are really going to like that imatch for it. Plastic doesnt bother me, it may actually help insulate some of the noise of the engine. They are like anything else, they have pro's and con's.

/ Finding the right tractor. #30  
Kubota has a BX70-series right around the corner with several nice improvments. you may want to wait a month or two for that to roll out.