fire wood splitter

/ fire wood splitter #21  
I looked at those units at NH. I don't care much for the design. They had the Powerhorse splitters on display alongside this machine, which made them look like toys. As to their functions, there is no auto return valve, so you have to place logs from both ends of the machine, or run the wedge back manually. They only handle 19" logs, which may be all you need, but the majority of splitters seemed to be designed for something a little bigger.

You would hook the unit up to the PTO QDs. You probably would not have to run the PT at full throttle.

/ fire wood splitter
SnowRidge,
Thanks for the input.
Would you have to do anything to the connections on the PT PTO QDs or on the Powerhouse splitter to make them go together?

/ fire wood splitter #23  
Here are a few.

I saw one like these bolted on to the rear wheel of a truck about 60 years ago.

My dad and I had one of these - exactly like the "STICKLER" in the picture - and used it a lot. I still have it in the back of one of the barns - I don't (and wouldn't) use it today, but it's great to show people and see the look on their face when I tell them what it does. We were always a little impatient - the idea was to let the truck idle and let the screw work its way through the log. Dad had me sit in the truck and goose the throttle a little to make the thing split faster. Picked the truck up one day and almost set it off the jack stand when we hit an extra tough log. Ahhhh, those were the days...

/ fire wood splitter #24  
SnowRidge,
Thanks for the input.
Would you have to do anything to the connections on the PT PTO QDs or on the Powerhouse splitter to make them go together?

You would have to fit matching QDs to 1/2 inch hydraulic hoses and connect those to the Powerhouse splitter. Any good hydraulic shop should be able to make them up for you.

/ fire wood splitter #25  
we are wanting to purchase areplacement screw auger of the same design on hibeams kioti log splitting attachment.

/ fire wood splitter #26  
Just an idea for a cheap log splitter that might do for lighter splitting. It would have more power than the screw types that I have seen.

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,549
   / fire wood splitter #27  
Just an idea for a cheap log splitter that might do for lighter splitting. It would have more power than the screw types that I have seen.

Using those figures. That makes that shaft size 1 in, and that is not a good thing. Bare minimums at best.

/ fire wood splitter #28  
Well there JJ. Explain that so these good people will know what you mean. It might be they can fugure it out but i can't.

/ fire wood splitter #29  
I think he's saying you need a larger cylinder as one with a 1" shaft is kind of tiny and could bend under that kind of load. And, if you increase the shaft size, your cycle time will slow down.

/ fire wood splitter #30  
Now this is starting to get plum silly. Bigger shaft= stronger cylinder yes but, shorter cycle time. Cause less area to fill on the return stroke. I can fill this going on and on so I will just say that my post was much more for an example than it was a blue print. I should have written a disclaimer.
For example only, Author not responsible for calculations, design or materials represented.
Also I must confess, guess I was fishing for one of those legendary responses from JJ. He will keep you on your toes. Got to love him,

Last edited: