fire wood splitter

/ fire wood splitter #11  
Is that piece of PVC tied to the ROP some sort of safety?

/ fire wood splitter #13  
   / fire wood splitter #14  
Is that piece of PVC tied to the ROP some sort of safety?

Yep, it is attached to the PTO lever to try and disengage it in the event of a mishap. It gets used when a log starts spinning wildly or when I feel myslef get caught which hasn't happened yet. Bloody dangerous contraption, bad things would happen fast. Made only slightly better with the PVC shutoff.

/ fire wood splitter #15  
Here are a few.

I saw one like these bolted on to the rear wheel of a truck about 60 years ago.

Yep!

I remember that they were available to fit Ford, GM or Chysler rear wheels.
The idea was you'd jack up one wheel and replace the wheel with this deadly contraption.
Engage the clutch in 1st gear and split away.

If long enough a piece of wood it would spin once hit the ground and voila!
Generally you'd mash a fender within a short time or if the wood was too short you'd have one h--l of a time remouving it.

When I saw it, one look and I walked away real fast as I did not wish to do the 'ambulance driver' thing!

/ fire wood splitter
I don't think I would want to use one of these on a vehicles wheel hub.

But something like "highbeam" has, or something similar on the front of the PT, I would give a go at in a heart beat (of course dirtbike racing, police officer, OH journeyman linemen, etc. has made me lead the "exciting" life more than a few times).

I can see the possible danger, but I don't hear or see any stats from many of the people denouncing this little device, that shows it is a proven hazard.

If I was mechanically inclined (and I am not, I can barely spell the word) I would design something for the PT. It looks like it would be a lot cheaper and less work than the standard "log splitters".

Now that I think about it, maybe welding something together that the mower deck motor and coupler could attach to...just a thought.

/ fire wood splitter #17  
I don't think I would want to use one of these on a vehicles wheel hub.

But something like "highbeam" has, or something similar on the front of the PT, I would give a go at in a heart beat (of course dirtbike racing, police officer, OH journeyman linemen, etc. has made me lead the "exciting" life more than a few times).

I can see the possible danger, but I don't hear or see any stats from many of the people denouncing this little device, that shows it is a proven hazard.

If I was mechanically inclined (and I am not, I can barely spell the word) I would design something for the PT. It looks like it would be a lot cheaper and less work than the standard "log splitters".

Now that I think about it, maybe welding something together that the mower deck motor and coupler could attach to...just a thought.

Well, Highbeam has one, and he himself called it a "bloody dangerous contraption." Seems to me that in itself is a pretty good confirmation that they really are dangerous.

I doubt anyone keeps separate mayhem stats on this type of log splitter.

/ fire wood splitter #18  
Hmmm, really frightening. No safety equipment, hands right next to the rotating screw, no guards on anything. Don't have the equivalent of our OHSA over in Old Blighty, then?

Who's the fugitive from the Bundeswehr? ;)
ye its a bit scary... and i must admit it really hurts when it grabs a log and spins it over smacking you on the knukels.

actually there is a lot of health and saftey issues over here, but seen as though its an old bit of kit and not being used by people we employ, basicly its just family use, they dont really care.