Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen
topbuilder;4872390 I have watched the story unfold Down Under with great interest. The anti-gun often use your experience as a model. Minus many truths of course... In any society said:
I couldn't agree more. I know that I am "preaching to the converted", but the gun laws we have only affect the law abiding person. The bad guys still have a gun if they want one.

I believe that in the US, the 20th anniversary of the Port Arthur shootings in Tasmania was the excuse to celebrate the Howard government ban on all semi-auto and pump action rifles and shotguns in 1996. The community outrage was seen as a way of winning votes for the next election and resulted in law abiding people (including me) having to hand in legally owned firearms. It should have been directed at trying to stop in the future a very low IQ person with no gun licence from buying an AR10 and ammo.

Talk about eroding your quality of life - at that time I had two friends, brothers in their 70's. They were in tears because they had to hand in their Browning 12ga autos that they had been given by their father for their 21st birthdays. One is now dead, but they never had the heart to go out duck shooting again after that.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #12  
The forefathers of this country had the courage to make a declaration of independence and the unique biblical wisdom to come up with the constitution, and bill of rights, that's one reason why so many people want to come here rather than other countries, yes freedom is nice but not cheap.

I think it's too late for Australia to get back their gun rights, that's one problem with freedom, once you lose it it's gone, so might well enjoy what freedom you have left.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #13  
Here in Canada, we're not allowed to have firearms for self defence. Target shooting and hunting only.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #14  
Here in Canada, we're not allowed to have firearms for self defence. Target shooting and hunting only.

Are you allowed to "hunt" anyone that trespasses on your property with the intent of doing you harm? Seems like a good reason to also own a backhoe!
David from jax

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #15  
Hi James. I agree that we let it happen, but you have noted the big difference with your second amendment. As far as I can determine, gun ownership here has always been a privilege, not a right - and this is by the lawmakers, not just the politicians. This wasn't an issue many years ago when a higher percentage of the population had exposure to guns (farmers, returned servicemen from the wars, and country people in general), and most had no issue with the neighbour owning and using a gun. But now those people are in the minority, and their voice is drowned out.

I'm trying real hard to stay away from politics and the sad truth is that it wouldn't matter much which political party was in power here. As in so many other issues these days, the loudest voices are coming from those who are constantly "offended" by whoever has a different opinion to them on any issue. They demand that you be stopped from doing whatever it is, and no political party or government seems to have the will to resist that.

I suppose the point of my post was that, while there are different opinions on issues like wether you should open carry a handgun, you should all be grateful that you have the ability to decide these things and can continue to enjoy owning and using a wide range of firearms.

John, yes we are truly fortunate to be able to argue about open carry or concealed carry, and revolver vs Semi Auto and 9mm vs .45 ACP. Of course not all jurisdictions are gun friendly as here in the midwest. There are states up east and of course California (which wants to be another country) that hate guns. And the people that have them.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #16  

And why is that? And how did that happen? It wasn't always that way.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #17  

That's not to say we can't use firearms for self defense but the circumstances where we can are limited. We'd certainly be arrested if we did and even if we were found to be not guilty on all counts there's still other consequences such as stress and the cost of a legal defense. A good write up can be found here:

Canadian Self-Defense Law: Three Things You Absolutely Must Know

Last edited:
   / Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #18  
I have a different take on the gun issue. Police in the US always assume that you are armed, threat to them and shoots first. Cases that policeman is prosecuted for killing somebody are rare. Guns make you a target. As I see it, in the place I live in, I am more likely to be shot by police than criminal.
If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place.
I understand people want guns and have right to own them. I don't understand the need.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #19  
happened LAST WEEKEND>>A fella was coming home from his DEER HUNTING CLUB.. driving down a 2 lane road at nite.. big police cruiser looking car pulls in behind him. so close he couldn't see the headlites.. The guy taps the brakes to "tell them" to back off.. the car backs off..
THEN zooms up behind him again, so he taps the brakes again.. THIS TIME the car pass's him & shoots up his truck as they pass..
There was a gas station about a mile up the road, so the guy gets on the phone & calls police & pulls in the g. station.. WHATS SITTING IN the g. station?? The car that just shot up his truck w/ 3 "urban" passengers..
The guy is sitting there waiting on the police when the passenger gets out, GUN IN HAND & approaches the truck.. BIG MISTAKE.. the hunter grabs his shot gun & blows the guy across the parking lot.. dead..
The other 2 "wannabe gangsters" get out of the car & he sends both of then to the hospital w/ gunshot wounds..
The guy in the truck gets to leave the scene without even a ticket... self defense..

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #20  
"If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place."

Where would that be?

"I understand people want guns and have right to own them. I don't understand the need."

Then you apparently have never faced a potential life threatening situation from a person wishing to do you harm or even read a newspaper or watched the news. I personally have experienced the need as I'm sure have many other people on this forum. I'm not of the mindset that running away is the answer.