Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #21  
I have a different take on the gun issue. Police in the US always assume that you are armed, threat to them and shoots first. Cases that policeman is prosecuted for killing somebody are rare. Guns make you a target. As I see it, in the place I live in, I am more likely to be shot by police than criminal.
If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place.
I understand people want guns and have right to own them. I don't understand the need.

Your post is highly offensive to the many men and women in law enforcement who put their lives on the line everyday for you and others!

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #22  
happened LAST WEEKEND>>A fella was coming home from his DEER HUNTING CLUB.. driving down a 2 lane road at nite.. big police cruiser looking car pulls in behind him. so close he couldn't see the headlites.. The guy taps the brakes to "tell them" to back off.. the car backs off..
THEN zooms up behind him again, so he taps the brakes again.. THIS TIME the car pass's him & shoots up his truck as they pass..
There was a gas station about a mile up the road, so the guy gets on the phone & calls police & pulls in the g. station.. WHATS SITTING IN the g. station?? The car that just shot up his truck w/ 3 "urban" passengers..
The guy is sitting there waiting on the police when the passenger gets out, GUN IN HAND & approaches the truck.. BIG MISTAKE.. the hunter grabs his shot gun & blows the guy across the parking lot.. dead..
The other 2 "wannabe gangsters" get out of the car & he sends both of then to the hospital w/ gunshot wounds..
The guy in the truck gets to leave the scene without even a ticket... self defense..

Justice served.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #23  
I have a different take on the gun issue. Police in the US always assume that you are armed, threat to them and shoots first. Cases that policeman is prosecuted for killing somebody are rare. Guns make you a target. As I see it, in the place I live in, I am more likely to be shot by police than criminal.
If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place.
I understand people want guns and have right to own them. I don't understand the need.
Utter BS! And who do you want to protect you since you have no confidence in the police in the US? Where are you headed next... Utopia?

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #24  
Your post is highly offensive to the many men and women in law enforcement who put their lives on the line everyday for you and others!

Or, he was just saying that he is fortunate enough to live in an area with low gun-crime ? Albeit in a back-handed fashion.....

Norms vary a lot depending where you are. I remember a co-worker talking about police pulling guns on him in Florida, back in the '80s. His "crime" was that he had driven his car down from Canada that night, and one low-beam headlight had died a few hours earlier. (At the time, he and I were working at jobs that required very high level security clearance, so there is absolutely no chance that he or the car he was driving was flagged for anything).

"Normal" practice at the time in that FL beach town/city was that LEO stops (at least at night) were always done with guns already drawn. Locals would have been used to that, tourists, not so much.

Rgds, D.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #25  
"If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place."

Where would that be?

"I understand people want guns and have right to own them. I don't understand the need."

Then you apparently have never faced a potential life threatening situation from a person wishing to do you harm or even read a newspaper or watched the news. I personally have experienced the need as I'm sure have many other people on this forum. I'm not of the mindset that running away is the answer.

Exactly. When you need a firearm, nothing else will really do.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #26  

You really don't have a different take on the gun issue. We know your views well. We see them parroted every day.
"I am more likely to be shot by police than criminal" There are about 1,000 police shootings in this country every year. The vast majority of which are duly earned. There are over 450,000 crimes committed with guns. I don't think I need to do the math on this one...
If rural Iowa ever gets to scary, where do you go? North Dakota?

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #27  
"If I have to live in fear and have guns to protect myself I would sell the house and move to a safe place."

Where would that be?

I heard Australia is wonderful safe place to live, the police will protect you 23/6..........

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #28  
Utter BS! And who do you want to protect you since you have no confidence in the police in the US? Where are you headed next... Utopia?

Well, he could be headed to Australia, New Zealand or Canada... places where you don't feel like you can't live without being armed all the time.

/ Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #29  
   / Firearm laws in Australia - what can happen #30  
Am I correct that the guy with the knife didn't break into the house but was banging on the door? How dumb to go outside with an unloaded gun against a knife. Even with a loaded gun I would stay inside and call the cops. Someone with a knife outside isn't a serious threat until they break in. If they break in, then you're justified in using force to defend yourself. At least that's how I understand the law here. It may be different other places.