firewood pallets

/ firewood pallets #11  
Bob,

If your warehouse has a lot of idle wood pallets, some things to keep in mind. The following is from NFPA 13, 2002 edition which is the standard most fire departments use.

Idle pallet storage introduces a severe fire condition. Stacking idle pallets in piles is the best arrangement of combustibles to promote rapid spread of fire, heat release, and complete combustion. After pallets are used for a short time in warehouses, they dry out and edges become frayed and splintered. In this condition they are subject to easy ignition from a small ignition source. Again, high piling increases considerably both the challenge to sprinklers and the probability of involving a large number of pallets when fire occurs. Therefore, it is preferable to store pallets outdoors where possible.

A fire in stacks of idle plastic or wooden pallets is one of the greatest challenges to sprinklers. The undersides of the pallets create a dry area on which a fire can grow and expand to other dry or partially wet areas. This process of jumping to other dry, closely located, parallel, combustible surfaces continues until the fire bursts through the top of the stack. Once this happens, very little water is able to reach the base of the fire. The only practical method of stopping a fire in a large concentration of pallets with ceiling sprinklers is by means of prewetting. In high stacks, this cannot be done without abnormally high water supplies. The storage of empty wood pallets should not be permitted in an unsprinklered warehouse containing other storage.

If pallets are stored inside they should be limited to the following, unless the sprinkler system is designed for the height of storage of pallets.

1.Pallets shall be stored no higher than 6 ft (1.8 m).
2. Each pallet pile of no more than four stacks shall be separated from other pallet piles by at least 8 ft (1.4 m) of clear space or 25 ft (7.6 m) of commodity.

I have attached a table for how far wood pallets need to be stored away from a building.

If you have or are considering plastic pallets, review the info below:

12.1.9.2.2 Plastic pallets where stored indoors shall be protected as follows:
(1) Where stored in cutoff rooms the following shall apply:
(a) The cutoff rooms shall have at least one exterior wall.
(b) The plastic pallet storage shall be separated from the remainder of the building by 3 hour–rated fire walls.
(c) Sprinkler protection by one of the following:
i. The storage shall be protected by sprinklers designed to deliver 0.6 gpm/ft2 (24.5 mm/min) for the entire room or by high-expansion foam and sprinklers as indicated in 12.1.11.
ii. K-14 ESFR upright sprinklers when the storage is on floor and the system is designed to supply all sprinklers in the room at 50 psi (3.4 bar) for a maximum of 30 ft (9.1 m) ceiling or 75 psi (5.2 bar) for a maximum 35 ft (10.7 m) ceiling.
(d) The storage shall be piled no higher than 12 ft (3.7 m).
(e) Any steel columns shall be protected by 1-hour fireproofing or a sidewall sprinkler directed to one side of the column at the top or at the 15-ft (4.6-m) level, whichever is lower. Flow from these sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted from the sprinkler system demand for hydraulic calculations.
(2)Where stored without cutoffs from other storage the following shall apply:
(a) Plastic pallet storage shall be piled no higher than 4 ft (1.2 m).
(b) Sprinkler protection shall employ high temperature–rated sprinklers.
(c) Each pallet pile of no more than two stacks shall be separated from other pallet piles by at least 8 ft (2.4 m) of clear space or 25 ft (7.6 m) of stored commodity.

Attachments

• 554090-outside storage of pallets.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 428
   / firewood pallets #12  
Most of our pallets are are traded in & out when freight companies deliver goods to us. Damaged and substandard pallets are set outside, about 200' from our building, we have a service that comes and picks them up (and pays us) for those pallets.

Then we have the blue CHEP pallets that BillBill used. Nobody but CHEP will come pick those up. No traditional pallet exchange is allowed by the common carriers. So we also store those outside, again a couple hundred feet from the building. And they are kept away from the other pallets. Some of the stacks are probably as high as 12' tall, but most are in the 9' to 10' range. I hate those things because of the segregation issues. To be blunt, if they were to go up in flames 10 minutes before the truck came to collect them I would go get some sticks and marshmallows and if I was especially crabby that day I might even lock the property gates to slow down the fire department response! Chep is a PITA and they can keep their pallets! The less I have to deal with them, the less it costs me. If people want their goods delivered to stores cheaper, then they would not buy goods that are shipped on Chep pallets, but since the Chep pallet inventory ends at warehouses like mine, no consumer knows what items cost us more to handle and what cost us less.

/ firewood pallets #13  
Tom: that's a pretty thorough response there. Your attachment is the thing interesting me at the moment, it crashed my computer in a way I've never seen before. What is it? Maybe a link to NFPA? Might have a login involved. SteveV /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ firewood pallets #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Your attachment is the thing interesting me at the moment, it crashed my computer in a way I've never seen before. What is it? Maybe a link to NFPA? Might have a login involved. SteveV )</font>
Steve, it's just a simple PDF file that can be read if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it on your computer, click here to download.
Adobe Reader

/ firewood pallets #15  
Steve,

As John said it is just a pdf file. I hope you were able to recover all your files. The file is a table from NFPA as to how far wood pallets have to be from a building based on the construction of the building.

/ firewood pallets #16  
Looks great Bill.

How did a post on storing firewood turn into another unrelated saftey meeting? I am supposed to be on vacation!!

/ firewood pallets #17  
Thanks for the response; it is sssslightly possible I may be running the Mozzilla V9 just a little tooooo stripped down, but that was the reason I asked. Acro 5 probably didn't help either. Both at least one rev old. SteveV /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ firewood pallets #18  
Nice setup!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Definitely makes it easy to move wood closer to the house when needed...............J

/ firewood pallets
It works great for me, hopefully it will help some of you out too. The cut list will change with 1" lumber, you will need to gain 1-1/2" on the side pieces. Happy New Year to all!!!!!!

/ firewood pallets #20  
Hello All,

This is just what I was thinking of building this winter. I piled up firewood near my pole barn and would like to move it out away from the buildings. Then just bring it back with my Kubota when I need it.

I may just copy your design!

ksmmoto