First Compact Tractor Recommendation's?

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #11  
While you're looking around check out the Korean Tractors too. Often more bang for the buck compared to the major brands. It's the Koreans that forced these longer warranties we are now seeing more and more of. I'd think about rethinking the mid mount mower myself. They are a pain unless you'll leave it on all the time.

Last edited:
   / First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #12  
I just finished going through the same decision process. I have 2.5 acres, of which about 1 acre is grass. The balance is in a rough state with a creek and undulating elevations. I finally ended up with the Massey Ferguson 1528, FEL, Back Blade and 5' Bush cutter. The size of the tractor is medium framed and should allow for closer quarter work. So far the 28 horsepower has been good. I have moved a lot of dirt in trying to cut a driveway towards my horsebarn and it has done everything I have asked of it. Good seat time, convenient controls, etc. If you have a dealer in your area, this may be worth considering. The closed dealer of any brand in my area is 30 miles away. Good luck on your decision. :)

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's?
daTeacha said:
Brent -- Where are you in Michigan? Are you in real Michigan or in the Southeast corner? I used to live about 50 miles north of Grand Rapids on the edge of the Muskegon/Lake Michigan snow region and managed the snow duties with an 8N Ford (27 hp) and a back blade.

I would think the B-7800 would be a good choice, but with only 2 acres one of the BX series might be a little better for the lawn duties and such. The 7800 is kind of a small Ag type tractor while the BX series are kind of lawn tractors on steroids. Ground clearance is probably not an issue for you, but if you are planting trees and thinking into the future overall height might be.

The JDs are good machines, too, but since the Kubota dealer is only 4 miles away and you see orange everywhere you look, I would guess that dealership is a good one. If it wasn't, you would see more green. For that matter, though, if you like your JD, look at their large size lawn machines -- the 500 series is pretty serious and very capable of handling a lot of attachments.

I ended up with a Case DX29, which is essentially as the TC series from New Holland, but the 24 size machine from CNH might fit your needs very well, too.

I am in the Lapeer area...East of Flint and about 1 hour north of Detroit. We do not get the snow that you are familiar with on the north west side, but we do get on average a little more than the Detroit Metro area.

One thing that I forgot to tell everyone is that I may in the near future buy a cabin with land in the Mancelona area, and I would be trailering the tractor up there for work as well. As of now, I plan on staying at my primary residence of 2 acres, but I may move on a bigger lot someday...I would guess a minimum of 10 acres. The more I think about it, I will need to take these things into consideration as well when I make this purchase.

Ok...More questions...I test drove and screwed around on a 2305, 2320 and 790 today at the JD dealer. I really liked the 2305 but I am concerned about the size. It just felt little, but I am thinking maybe this could end up being an advantage around trees and such. Will the FEL dig up hard compacted clay and gravel? What does the "Limited" category 1 hitch really mean?

The 2320 was also very impresive, but I am wondering if it is worth the extra money if they both perform the same. The 2320 did not have the FEL or MMM installed on it, so I could not mess around with those attachments. It did feel more stable to me than the 2305, and the turning radius was surprisingly tight for how big it was. The controls seemed more ergonomically friendly as well. I also liked being higher up.

With no disrespect to the series, all it took was to sit on the 790 and decided it just wasn't for me. To confined compared to the Twenty series...no HST.

The price of the 2305 is very attractive, but for me I felt more comfortable on the 2320. Not sure if the comfort zone is worth the $$ though.

This is what the dealer came up with:

2320 W/200CX FEL & 62D MMM - $16,300 + tax
2305 w/200CX FEL & 62 MMM - $14,000 + tax

Or

USED 2305 W/200CX FEL & 62 MMM - 12,500 +tax
This machine looks like new with only 20 HRS. 2 years left on warranty.
We are talking almost $4000 from the 2320. When I test drove this one and turned hard right all the way in a circle, I heard a clunking sound....is this just a normal over stearing sound ?

From JD, I went to Kubota DL afterwards but they were closed. I will try again tomorrow.

Price's sound reasonable?

Thanks, Brent

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #15  
The John Deere dealers I looked at gave anywhere from 18-20% off list in my part of Michigan when I bought a couple of months ago. This was with regional incentives for my area from John Deere. This was for a 3520 with hoe and loader.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #16  
I have a 2305 so I can talk about it... The limited cat 1 hitch means it doesn't lift as high as a normal cat 1. So things like post hole diggers with a big auger won't hit the ground level. All (most?) other cat 1 implements will be fine. It's smaller size and hyd flow somewhat restricts the lift capacities and speed, but I've dug through hard packed clay in VA and can drive into crushed stone piles all day without a loader toothbar. Put a toothbar on it and you'll be set. I also have turf tires, but would recommend R4's if you're not worried about tearing up a new (soft) lawn, like I am. I haven't had any problems with stability, and my land will be hillier than yours in Lapeer (grew up in Saginaw, know that area well). The mowing deck will cut through anything without bogging - and fast, as fast as you can stand the ride. Remove the fel and you'll be surprised at how easy and sharp it turns.

The differences in the 2305 and 2320 are hyd flow and 3pth position control - both of which favor the 2320. For you're property, the 2305 will be plenty of machine, and that used one is the way to go. The 'clunking' you heard might be from the MFWD if it was engaged (I would expect to hear/feel it), that's worth checking it again.

All that said, the 2305 is a small machine that can do a lot of things well, nothing great (except mowing). If you have time to work slow it will handle anything you throw at it. But if you want a pallet moved now, or a yard of stone in two runs, or a field bushogged in 20 minutes... Well, get something bigger.

Thanks VA Blue....that helps with my decision making process.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #18  
Bro,

You need a John Deere 2305 tractor loader mower. It will do all your work and not break your bank. Easy to use, plenty of power. A lot of Tractor Loader Mower for under $13000:D

J Dalman

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #19  
BrentP said:
Thanks VA Blue....that helps with my decision making process.
You'll know what you will end up with tomorrow after your Kubota test drive... Take your check book. :D

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #20  
I went through all this decision making stuff last year. My decision was made based on the various dealer's interest in selling me a tractor.

I finally bought the Massey Ferguson CG2300 with a FEL and 4' tiller. Has side pistons on the FEL - not just a center single one. No plastic for a floor board. Has a rocker pedal on the HST - makes FEL work easy.

It has become my family's best friend - no more back aches from lifting and carrying, made tilling the garden easy, turned a 3-day mulching job into 3 hours. I don't mow with it - but I sure do dig and lift. Lots of fun and a great worker.

Am going to get a PHD and a boom pole next. Probably from Tractor Supply.

I have a great dealer - and without that, it won't matter what color you buy. You are out in the cold all by yourself.

I just finished doing my 50 hour service. Learn to as much work on your tractor as you can. It will save you money in the long run. My dealer recommends it.