First day of cutting hay

/ First day of cutting hay #21  
Hi,

I was looking around on sites about disc mowers, and alot of the companies specify a cabbbd tractor to run them? Is this realy the case? I know if you hit a rock some serious damage could be done. Does anyone have one with a platform tractor?

Thansk,

Will

/ First day of cutting hay #22  
I ran one for about 3.5 hours on an open station TN 65. I was fine but I did have stones come flying out of the cutter when I hit a ridge I didn't know was there. You can run an open station and probably never have a problem but it only takes one stone to destroy a perfectly good day. I was only trying one out when I used it and when I buy one it will be after I by my next tractor (which will be a cabbed tractor).

/ First day of cutting hay #24  
I run a disc with a utility cab tractor.

This has been discussed some where else on this board if memory serves, but the bottom line for me is:

The disc throws stuff more than any other implement I own. Small rocks can fly off at high speed. That is why they have covers. The cover on my vermeer gator is kevlar.
One day I hit a rock and it broke a blade mount. Threw the blade and blade holder. Something hit the side of the cab hard. I shut it down and one of the bolts was sticking half way through the side of the kevlar cover! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you never hit a rock and always maintain the mower very carefully maybe its ok to not have a cab. But I think I am not the only one that has had this type of experience and that is why the cab is suggested by some.
Even so that cover is important, since the glass windows of the cab can break to.

Fred

/ First day of cutting hay #25  
Hi,

After doing more reasearch, I will stick with the MF sickle mower, untill I buy a cabbed tractor. Not too mention after reading this post. Saw a pic on www.farmphoto.com of a New Holland with the back window smashed out from a rock.....................very scary!! I don't want to imagine the damage this may have caused with out a cab!!

Take care

Will

/ First day of cutting hay #26  
I ran a 9' Gehl discbine and the TN didn't have any trouble. I was able to click off a very good pace (twice as fast as the NH 489 haybine I currently use) but unless you have very smooth fields you are still limited because you hit a bump at a fast speed and you are doing your best to stay in the seat. I want a discbine but not till I get a cabbed tractor. I am able to get by with the 489 right now so I have my prioritys set right. Good luck to you and hopefully you have better luck with the weather then I am having.

/ First day of cutting hay #27  
We have been selling drum and disc mowers since 1980. Of the thousands of these mowers we have sold, 90% of them are used on non-cab tractors. Any piece of equipment is dangerous with the wrong operator. You just need to keep these mowers out of the rock piles. Check you mowers often for loose blade bolts and worn or damaged parts. DO NOT sharpen drum and disc mower blades because the heat generated in sharpening changes the temper of the steel in the blade.

/ First day of cutting hay #28  
Stones and woodchucks pop up in fields you don't expect and when you get hay on the field you don't always see these things. It only takes one stone to ruin your day and if you don't have a cabbed tractor then at least put up a shield on the rops to help protect you.

/ First day of cutting hay #29  
Robert

If you are really concerned about being hit with flying debris it wouldn’t be to hard to fix a lexan shield to the back of your ROPS. This would be much cheaper than a 6K cab although the AC and stereo wouldn’t work nearly a well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

/ First day of cutting hay #30  
That is what I said in my last post. However, my priority is a cab tractor with AC first then a discbine. Even then I will add a shield as the glass on these cabs is not cheap. The stereo doesn't bother me as I like to listen to it but while cutting I would rather listen to the tractor and cutter and do away with any other noise.