First day of cutting hay

/ First day of cutting hay #41  
I bought a drum mower from you and it will not clog up,best money I have ever spent.

/ First day of cutting hay #42  

Mark, I have hand-filed the blades (each pair equally for balance) on my NH 1411, is that OK? By the mention of heat you seem to have been referring to grinding them on a wheel. My minor maintenance (on-machine, no removing) seems to improve cutting by getting back a bit of an edge for each blade, some of which obviously have taken a beating. My 1411 is about a year old, BTW.

Not sure if anyone is still hitting this thread but I was impressed that anyone could use a discbine at 15 mph. I have worked my way to 5+ mph on our rolling terrain and felt pleased! NH recommends a max of 6.

I've been warned by several people to beware the long-distance javelin abilities of a DB. One of my service guys told me he'd heard one of the major mfrs had an early experience with a farmer killed when a blade got loose from a newly sold discbine and was fired thru the rear of his seat into his back/chest. Moral of the story, use a torque wrench and locktite on certain bolts/nuts.

Always appreciate your contributions!

Jim

/ First day of cutting hay
I've found the haybine doesn't like going more than 4-5 mph in our fields. I'm sure the normal guys running a discbine at high speed have really clean rock free fields.