Grapple First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple

/ First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple #31  
FWIW, I agree with the poster who bluntly stated the possible limitations of the design. He could have done a better presentation of his opinion, for sure. IMHO, many seem to make a bucket/grapple when in reality it ends up being good at neither. Not to say it won't work but a foot is not a hand. They both have their uses and each is better at some things then the other but I don't try to make my hand be a foot or vise versa.
Ideally a backhoe is suited to digging out stumps; and I have a specially designed ripper tooth, for just that purpose, (from Michigan Iron & Equipment), which attaches to my hoe to do just that, more easily then a standard bucket.
I also have a grapple designed to be a grapple and nothing else. It is a model GR-20 Igland log grapple. It doesn't claim, nor is it designed to dig out stumps, but it's great at doing log grappling. Both items can be found online, if one wants to see how they're constructed.

P.S. it's not OK to tell someone their wife is ugly?:laughing:

Last edited:
   / First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple #32  
I believe I'm going to like this thing

View attachment 257924

As clean as it will ever be!

Man that is nasty looking! I like it:thumbsup:! But curiously just how long did it take the get that thing out? Surly it wasn't a scoop clamp and pop out, but it really doesn't seem from the picture and the tire tracks that it took all that long. I want a grapple so after I have dug around and losened it with the backhoe I can go over and just pick it up! Without a thumb on the hoe picking it up is the hardest part!:confused3:

/ First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple #33  
Man that is nasty looking! I like it:thumbsup:! But curiously just how long did it take the get that thing out? Surly it wasn't a scoop clamp and pop out, but it really doesn't seem from the picture and the tire tracks that it took all that long. I want a grapple so after I have dug around and losened it with the backhoe I can go over and just pick it up! Without a thumb on the hoe picking it up is the hardest part!:confused3:

You can check out the video of one in use on our Wicked Stump Grapple Page.

/ First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple #34  
Guesseral are you referring to the stump in my post or actual attachment 257924? if its the picture I posted it took about 3 hours. we had to get under some of the side roots and cut them with a chainsaw, I had no idea the darn tap root was so big!! But the Rhino did in fact get under it with the manurefork/grapple, and in the end pop it out. heres a picture of the first hour, pulled the top of the stump in half with the Rhino oops-- then dug around it with a ford 3000 loader. I have to agree with some posters there are easier ways to remove larger stumps- like a 30,000 lb.+ excavator,or even dozer but sometimes its use what you got and take your time and do your best to not break your equipment. Anyway it looks like the wicked grapple is a pretty slick unit. If your question wasn't for me OOps stump large- 002.jpg

/ First day with the Wicked Stump Grapple #35