First Snake of the year

/ First Snake of the year #11  
We are seeing them daily here - most are just rat snakes that are mostly left alone (except when grandma catches them in with the Chickens and Ducks). Unfortunately my son's dog, who lives on the next property brought a Coral Snake offering into the house last week. The dog ended up at the UF Veterinary hospital for shots and an overnight stay. That was not cheap.

Amazing the dog lived! I just spent some time in fl and we had a lot of cotton mouths, luckily they're pretty calm so the dog didn't get bit even after sniffing ones tail.dogs and snakes are a bad combo!

/ First Snake of the year #12  
Amazing the dog lived! I just spent some time in fl and we had a lot of cotton mouths, luckily they're pretty calm so the dog didn't get bit even after sniffing ones tail.dogs and snakes are a bad combo!

Don't know if it got bit- my guess is it didn't as Coral Snakes almost have to chew on you. When my Daughter in Law said she had taken the dog up there, my thought was it was either a dead dog or a waste of time. and money. Dog is home now, just as stupid as before. This one was "given" to them after her sister had to deal with the dog continually chewing on bricks and rocks. It would be a close contest between it and a rock for what was more intelligent.

/ First Snake of the year #13  
Don't know if it got bit- my guess is it didn't as Coral Snakes almost have to chew on you. When my Daughter in Law said she had taken the dog up there, my thought was it was either a dead dog or a waste of time. and money. Dog is home now, just as stupid as before. This one was "given" to them after her sister had to deal with the dog continually chewing on bricks and rocks. It would be a close contest between it and a rock for what was more intelligent.

That gave me a good laugh!:)

The only snakes I have seen up here are Copper Belly Water Snakes (they like to get into the dug well) and Garter Snakes. The Copper Bellies get quite aggressive, more than the Garters.

/ First Snake of the year #14  
I have dealt with many copperheads. That is not one.
But this snake with my pepper plant is.

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 421
   / First Snake of the year
Looks to be a brown snake....

Storeria dekayi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Found him under a 55 gal drum on my gravel pathway...
Considering his diet... he was in a great place.... just shocked the chit out of me when I picked up the drum to put it into the FEL, and here is a snake moving towards me...
I reacted and a shovel was close at hand... dropped drum grab shovel and de-head the snake.... (normal procedure for anything other than black snakes)
poor little guy was just having lunch...

/ First Snake of the year #16  
I think TXDon is right. That snake doesn't look anything like the copperhead I killed on March 30, which was the first snake I've seen this year.

/ First Snake of the year #17  
"A Florida teenager is recovering after being bitten in the face by a water moccasin.

The bite happened last Saturday, according to investigators with Florida Fish and Wildlife, two days after Austin Hatfield, 18, captured it in his girlfriend's yard in Wimauma."
snake_bite_pic.jpg

/ First Snake of the year #18  
"A Florida teenager is recovering after being bitten in the face by a water moccasin.

The bite happened last Saturday, according to investigators with Florida Fish and Wildlife, two days after Austin Hatfield, 18, captured it in his girlfriend's yard in Wimauma."
snake_bite_pic.jpg

Maybe he would like a nice dog that sounds like a perfect match....