First Snake of the year

/ First Snake of the year #21  
the copperhead bite is rarely fatal. mostly because it is the only poisonous snake that regularly gives a dry bite. no vemon at all. all venomous snakes can do this; but the copperhead does it often.
with something that it plans to eat, likely not. but a warning, or a defensive bite will likely be dry.
course it wouldn't be a good idea to press the issue from there. jeff.

/ First Snake of the year #22  
the copperhead bite is rarely fatal. mostly because it is the only poisonous snake that regularly gives a dry bite. no vemon at all. all venomous snakes can do this; but the copperhead does it often.
with something that it plans to eat, likely not. but a warning, or a defensive bite will likely be dry.
course it wouldn't be a good idea to press the issue from there. jeff.

We must have uninformed copperheads around here that did not get that memo. My two cousins who were hospitalized and swelled up like a balloon and my dogs snout that got to be the size of a mellon (3 times) after being bit are mad that memo was not passed on.

That is right rarely fatal but they can tell you it is very painful.

/ First Snake of the year #23  
My grandson was out with his momma for an evening walk wearing flip flops last summer. Car was coming so they stepped off the edge of the road into the grass. All of a sudden he started screaming. They took him to the neighbors to take a look at the welt on his foot (she was a nurse). They were thinking ground wasp. They could see two faint little pricks on his foot. He ended up being bit by a baby copper head. He spent 4 days at the childrens hospital with a total of 17 doses of antivenom.

/ First Snake of the year #24  
Sorry, not the first snake of this year, but a picture of the last snakes killed last fall.
A guy helping me around the barn picked up piece of tin laying on the ground, and this mama rattler and her 15-18" babies were all underneath.

We won.

IMG_20140908_111358.jpg

/ First Snake of the year #25  
Anybody that would kiss a poisoness (sp) snake certainly is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

/ First Snake of the year #26  
Glad I live where there are no snakes. A few were found on the other side of the island a couple of years ago. Just garter snakes, I think they were all destroyed. The ocean makes a pretty good barrier to these types of things.

/ First Snake of the year #30  
I saw this fellow in the yard a couple of weeks ago in a home I'm building in Florida. I did avoid him just in case but found out it was a harmless Corn snake. I would guess it was about 4' long.

Attachments

• image-2599688844.jpg
    image-2599688844.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 246