First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #11  
Before Id consider an RK unit, look at TYM, since TYM is the manufacturer of the RK unit. Also, TYM offers a non ECM engine option which is probably a good option to choose. RK does not offer this.
This brings up an important consideration. When company A makes a private label tractor for company B, there can be situations where neither A nor B really want to support that tractor later if companies A and B part ways in the future.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #12  
This brings up an important consideration. When company A makes a private label tractor for company B, there can be situations where neither A nor B really want to support that tractor later if companies A and B part ways in the future.
And I’ve read a lot of accounts of RK not having a functioning service dept.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements
To answer some of the questions that have been posed to me.

Yes, I rechecked and I had accidentally picked a larger model JD in comparison. The comparable JD is still more expensive but only about $2500 more than the Kubota and they are offering 60 months at 0% as well.

My ground is flat, generally a max of about 2% slope, just like about everything in central Indiana, but it is hard. It was really poorly managed and the higher areas have very little organic matter so they get really hard.

As far as mower size, I think a 5' should be sufficient. I would mainly be using it to mow off cover crops I'm using to try to raise my organic matter. And I want it to be 3PH

I feel competent to do basic maintenance on my own, fluid changes, filter changes, etc. I could tackle something more than that, but don't have the time or desire.

I would love to be able to go with the mid 20s hp models, but I wouldn't think it would handle tall thick grass with a 5' mower. I mean my 42" zero turn has 19 HP and it slows down with anything over 6” tall. I realize rotary cutters and mowers are different animals, but still...

I also find it hard to believe they would handle a 5' tiller very well. I realize this was 50 years ago, but my dad still talks about how they always figured you needed 1 HP for every inch of tillage equipment. I realize most people now figure 5 PTO HP per foot which seems reasonable to me but I don't want to skimp on the HP and regret it later.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #14  
It depends on the tillage equipment.

A bottom plow...1hp per inch is about right. But I can assure you, you don't need a 84hp tractor for a 7' disc.

The larger frame compacts that are sub-25hp....like the bota L2501 or Deere 3025 will both handle a 5' tiller and 5' rotary cutter just fine.

I used to run a 6' cutter on an L of the same size but a little more lower.

The beauty of the HST is you can slow down easily if the engine starts laboring.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #15  
I would love to be able to go with the mid 20s hp models, but I wouldn't think it would handle tall thick grass with a 5' mower. I mean my 42" zero turn has 19 HP and it slows down with anything over 6” tall. I realize rotary cutters and mowers are different animals, but still...
Can't speak to the tiller situation, but my 25hp diesel tractors will cut my fields with a 5' cutter without issue where a gas ZTR will choke. Some of it has to do with a rough cut mower being more open to throw out material instead of trying to fine cut it like a lawn mower deck.

A hydrostat will eat up some of your cutting power; however, the hydrostat also makes it easy to adjust ground speed to cutting conditions.

The local county government put a nice looking Kubota L3200 HST and loader with 560 hours out for auction. It sold today for $12,000 as I recall. 30 HP. Stealership would have priced it a lot higher.

edit: Depending on how thick your vegetation is, a 35hp tractor would handle a 6' cutter which would speed up cutting.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #16  
From the uses you described you'll put more than a hundred hours a year on it.

Get something with at least 30 PTO horsepower. I would stay away from rural King for now.

You haven't told us what your budget is.

Where is the nearest Yanmar dealer from you? Take a trip and look at them

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #18  
Branson is owned by TYM. No more new Branson.

/ First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #19  
I have about 10 acres and am planting it out in Christmas trees.

My anticipated use is 50-100 hours a year split between mowing, running a 4'-5' rototiller, pulling my single seat transplanter, and some FEL work spreading gravel, mulch, etc.

The rototiller and transplanter are only used about 2 days a year when I plant the trees.

My ground is flat, generally a max of about 2% slope, but it is hard.
It was really poorly managed and the higher areas have very little organic matter so they get really hard.

As far as mower size, I think a 5' should be sufficient. I would mainly be using it to mow off cover crops I'm using to try to raise my organic matter. And I want it to be 3PH

I would love to be able to go with a <26-hp model, but I wouldn't think it would handle tall thick grass with a 5' mower.

I also find it hard to believe they would handle a 5' tiller very well.

My anticipated use is 50-100 hours a year.
This is the operating hour range when emission control equipment may be cranky.

Using a <26-horsepower tractor you might have to occasionally cut a partial swathe, say 50", in tall, dry grass with a five foot rotary cutter but not very burdensome on ten acres, mostly occupied by trees.

A 5' Roto-Tiller will be within the capacity of an <26-horsepower tractor to power tilling MOIST soil. Consider a Middlebuster or a Bucket Spade in lieu of other attachments for tree planting. A Middlebuster is also a good tool for breaking very hard ground when a breaking plow is not wanted.

FEL work spreading gravel, mulch, etc.

Kubota L2501 Attachments

Kubota LA525 Loader
Height (to pin):94.3 inches
239 cm
Lift to full height (at pin):1131 lbs
513 kg
Lift to 1.5m (at pin):1490 lbs
675 kg
Lift to 1.5m (at 500mm):1182 lbs
536 kg

Normally I preach BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR, but as your land is flat, stability will not be a major issue. Consider the benefits of a HST tractor without Tier IV emissions paraphernalia.

Last edited:
   / First time buyer 35-50 hp and implements #20  
My buddy does his 4' rotary cutter with a 25hp kubota gear'd between his Xmas trees in 3' grass quite fast. He has a new turbo one so it holds rpm pretty well. He also used to run a "stump smasher" kind of a HD 2' rotary cutter, but it breaks PTO shafts in the tractor eventually.