First time buyer questions

/ First time buyer questions #1  

SonomaJoe

Tractor
Working on buying one now
Finally making my plans and buying my first backhoe, have 6.5 acres And a ton of tree work, grading, septic, etc. in that order

For starters what tools would I need beside a socket set, grease gun and all my standard handyman tools that can bleed over? Would building a PVC custom greenhouse type structure and using a tarp instead of greenhouse plastic like a carport have any issue for storage?

Also for my home would I want to be staying away from a tier 4 engine and stick with something from the early 2000壮-2013? Have been looking at Case 580M series 2 and Volvo BL70痴 a lot.

My plan is to resell it unless I can round up enough work to justify keeping it after 400-500+hours. Trying to keep my budget at 40K for machine, tools, storage and maintenance over that period. Is this a realistic goal?

/ First time buyer questions #2  
Finally making plans to buy my first backhoe for tree work, grading and septic, in that order. I have 6.5 acres.

For starters what tools would I need beside a socket set, grease gun and all my standard handyman tools that can bleed over?

Would building a PVC custom greenhouse type structure and using a tarp instead of greenhouse plastic like a carport have any issue for storage?

My plan is to sell it after 400-500 hours.

For the construction applications you foresee consider a Skid Steer prior to a tractor. Rear-engine Skid Steers are much more stable lifting loads than rear-engine tractors, therefore Skid Steers are fitted with more capable Loaders for machines of the same weight.

Some Skid Steers / tractors are metric, some inch standard, some mixed.

If the machine you buy has been stored outside, it is pointless to store it inside as the second or third owner.

Tractor and Skid Steer mechanic time is $120 per hour in California.

MORE (2): skid steer vs tractor - Google Search

track loader vs tractor - Google Search

Last edited:
   / First time buyer questions #3  
Here's a link to comparison between the Case and a BL60. We have the Case at work and everyone likes it. Tried out a new CAT a couple years ago and operators were complaining about the boom being hard to see around.

Compare Case 58M and Volvo BL6. What's Better?

/ First time buyer questions #4  
For the construction applications you foresee consider a Skid Steer prior to a tractor. Rear-engine Skid Steers are much more stable lifting loads than rear-engine tractors, therefore Skid Steers are fitted with more capable Loaders for machines of the same weight.

Some Skid Steers / tractors are metric, some inch standard, some mixed.

If the machine you buy has been stored outside, it is pointless to store it inside as the second or third owner.

Tractor and Skid Steer mechanic time is $120 per hour in California.

MORE (2): skid steer vs tractor - Google Search

track loader vs tractor - Google Search

A skid steer is fine for moving dirt from place to place, but it should NOT be equated to a backhoe!

"stored outside, it is pointless to store it inside as second or third owner".

My L48 TLB was stored outside for 13 years, in Maine, by the original owner.
I repainted the 4 wheels and the 2 fenders (faded), plus some minor touch-up, and some compounding.
One year later: I would not expect anyone to look it over, and assume prior outside storage...... It will be stored inside by me, every day that I continue to own it.
I store ALL machinery/equipment inside my 2 closed/locked buildings!

/ First time buyer questions #5  
Most construction equipment is stored outside just look at all the job sites.....Homeowner construction equipment now that's different ... All my tractors are inside also...

/ First time buyer questions #6  
Most construction equipment is stored outside just look at all the job sites.....Homeowner construction equipment now that's different ... All my tractors are inside also...

True....but.....
Contractors often put many hours per year on machinery, write it off. and then buy new again!
Homeowners frequently keep machinery for long periods, and usually like to protect their investment!

More than 75 years ago my mother taught me to put my toys away at night.
She is long gone......but I learned, ...and still do as taught!

/ First time buyer questions
I agree I should have prefaced as it’s almost all landscaping, septic and road. I already have 5 preexisting homes on site. The land had 65 years of neglect and I’ve been cleaning it by hand until I hit a wall and finally sucked it up and am buying a tractor ������

/ First time buyer questions #8  
A backhoe is not a grading machine, and it sure isn't a clearing machine. they will dig ditches and a septic tank hole, but a excavator would be better and if has steel tracks and a blade it will do anything....... Sitting out side is the norm for them..... jim

/ First time buyer questions #9  
A backhoe is not a grading machine, and it sure isn't a clearing machine. they will dig ditches and a septic tank hole, but a excavator would be better and if has steel tracks and a blade it will do anything....... Sitting out side is the norm for them..... jim
In principle..I agree. However, in practical terms with limited funding and competing interests - a backhoe is a capable clearing machine - especially when equipped with a hydraulic thumb. As well, it is paramount to appreciate the limitations of any equipment and go about the job at hand with thinking cap in place - looking for problems and ginning up workarounds when necessary.
I’ve cleared some rough acres and leveled up a number of building sites with a small, tractor-loader-backhoe. A little time and persistence.. and when absolutely necessary; renting a half-dozen different sized excavators and a dozer or two.
But, a TLB will get you a lot farther along than either a tractor or skid-steer or an excavator by themselves.
Under cover is a cost-saving practice for any equipment - IMO. Rain, snow, ice are slow destroyers of switches, valves and mechanical linkages. And neither of those factors are computer and wiring harness friendly.
Sunlight is hard on hyd hoses and tires as well as seats and plastic surfaces. 3-sided sheds are simple to build and used to be fairly cheap. ‘Course after all the fires and hurricanes - building materials ain’t cheap!

/ First time buyer questions #10  
In principle..I agree. However, in practical terms with limited funding and competing interests - a backhoe is a capable clearing machine - especially when equipped with a hydraulic thumb. As well, it is paramount to appreciate the limitations of any equipment and go about the job at hand with thinking cap in place - looking for problems and ginning up workarounds when necessary.
I’ve cleared some rough acres and leveled up a number of building sites with a small, tractor-loader-backhoe. A little time and persistence.. and when absolutely necessary; renting a half-dozen different sized excavators and a dozer or two.
But, a TLB will get you a lot farther along than either a tractor or skid-steer or an excavator by themselves.
Under cover is a cost-saving practice for any equipment - IMO. Rain, snow, ice are slow destroyers of switches, valves and mechanical linkages. And neither of those factors are computer and wiring harness friendly.
Sunlight is hard on hyd hoses and tires as well as seats and plastic surfaces. 3-sided sheds are simple to build and used to be fairly cheap. ‘Course after all the fires and hurricanes - building materials ain’t cheap!

As has so often been said: A backhoe is the Swiss army knife of earth moving equipment.