Tractor Sizing First Time Buyer - What Size?

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #31  
And then some of us old timers do know how to use a clutch and manual transmission, and have lots of experience with them, which is what makes us appreciate the HST in tractors and automatics in cars. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #32  
Where you live make sure to get a cab with mosquito netting! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Actually, just make sure to go a little bigger then you think because the price you pay will be long gone before your tractor wears out. I always recommend going with one of the big three. I like my Kubota L3010 and recommend you check out Kubota for sure.
I also own a JD-318 for around the house.
Some day I will own a NH!
Have fun!

/ First Time Buyer - What Size?
Yeah - no kidding on the mosquito netting!

Well, now I've gone & dunnit . . . I went to three local dealers and got prices after driving a total of four different tractors. I drove a NH class II Boomer, Kubota L3130, Kubota 3710, and a JD 4310. The 3130 & the JD had loaders on so I got to try them out - fun!

Now I am really not sure which way to go. I like the Boomer's ergonomics - very nice feel. I thought the Hydro could be smoother but, I love the styling and the smooth ride. It also seems to be the quietest of the group. I priced a TC33D w/FEL @ $17,500 but, have to add $600 to finance so, it's actually $18,100. They also quoted me a price for a JD 4310 w/FEL of $17,500 but, they did not have any compacts on hand.

The Kubota L3130 was very nice. The Hydro was silky smooth but, the turning radius was obviously larger. Easy to see that this tractor is just plain bigger than the Boomer and the Deere. Next I tried the 3710 because the salesman said I could by that for about the same price as the 3130. That thing felt huge by comparison - a real "man's tractor" (Insert Tim Taylor type grunts here). They both are nice but the 3710 has more noticable vibration in the deck and controls compared to the 3130. The engine note of the 3710's four cylinder is sweet. The 3710 is obviously the most "Beef" for the money but, I am concerned that I may find it's too big to manuever in tight places. Both of the Kubota's came in @ $18,300 w/FEL's.

Finally I went to the local Deere dealer and drove a 4310 w/FEL and it was nice but, noticably louder both in terms of engine note and Hydro. I like the Load Match feature and the obvious dealer support. They gave me a price w/420 Loader of $17,700.

Overall, I don't think any of the dealers stands out much above the other. They are like the tractors, they each have their strengths.

I am ready to make a decision but, I could use some help from all you TBN'ers with more experience. Perhaps you can offer some different perspective than my own about my adventure.

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #34  
TractorTruck,

Did the New Holland TC33D have the super-steer on it? If it did that is about an $1,200.00 dollar add. If you are going to do a lot of mowing around stuff the super-steer is nice. If not and most of your work is Loader stuff then don't get the super-steer. As far as the financing I thought New Holland had 0% for 1 year right now?

Just questioning
Murph

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #35  
2 different NH dealers told me they can match Kubotas 0% for 3 years (through April 30).

Yeah, NH does have a new finance option but, the salesman told me that their dealership is not participating in that and I would have to finance it through JD at a higher rate - not that big of a deal but, if I finance, I lose the $600 rebate through NH thus the $600 add-on. Unless I can find a better deal at another NH dealer - the TC just isn't gonna make the cut. If it was the lower priced tractor of the group I probably would have made the deal today.

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #37  
Tractortruck,

I would check around at different New Holland dealers if you have some nearby. One of your first post you said you really liked the New Holland. If your first impression was for the New Holland I would try and make that work if you can. First impressioins mean a lot to me. In my area the New Holland beat both Kubota and John Deere in price. But I also know that every area is different.

What it sounds like to me you are dealing with a multi brand dealer and he is trying to push the John Deere over the New Holland and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are sold on that dealer then I would go for the Deere. But again you may want to check around with other New Holland Dealers just to keep him honest.

murph

Yep, already done that and sure enough, the local dealer handles both NH & JD and I'd say he is yanking my chain on the loss of discount due to financing the purchase. Another NH dealer said that tactic is common and confirmed that the discount issue is BS. I don't think I want to do business with the local NH guy. I guess I'm kind of stuck on which brand to go with and I'm hoping someone can pull me out of the proverbial mud with a sweeter deal. It kind of makes it hard to get to sleep at night - at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #39  
<font color="blue">( ( I guess I'm kind of stuck on which brand to go with and I'm hoping someone can pull me out of the proverbial mud with a sweeter deal. It kind of makes it hard to get to sleep at night - at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )</font>

Tractortruck,

You can't let this get you down. When the right deal comes you will know it. Don't lose any sleep as buying the tractor has to be just as fun as driving it. If you feel the local guy is jerking you around then you just have to stay away from him. If he is a good sales person he will call you and ask if you have made a decision. That will be your chance to say, "well I wanted New Holland but felt the deal you gave wasn't as good as what you can get else where. I never did like dual dealers, when you ask them what they think is the best, they will tell you whatever is the best deal or money maker for them at the time. Your profile says you are in Central Wisconsin. I would think that there is local dealers of all brands all around you. Even if you just call around since you know what you want in each line to get pricing. Then you can go to the best deal and then get to know the dealer. Even if you have to go 30 or 40 miles out I would not be afraid. These tractors all are pretty good and usually most repairs can be done at service intervals. If it is something major then you just have to haul it in. My dealer charges me $50.00 for pickup and delivery which isn't much. He has to travel 25 miles. I also have a trailer so I can haul it in also. But don't rush, be patient and the right deal will come.

Just don't rush into something you will regret at a later time.

murph

/ First Time Buyer - What Size? #40  
i don't think it is a matter of which brand u choose, it should be about which tractor u like best. as far as the dealer, if u don't like his way of doing businnes now u ain't going to like anybetter down the road. my thinking is if u lie to me once or think i am stupid u made a mistake! i use this principal on ALL intended purchases.