Buying Advice First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #1  

RiverHill

Tractor
None… yet
Hi All,

I’ve lurked around on this forum for quite some time, but the realistic possibility of being a tractor owner within the month prompted me to join and get some insight, and hopefully reinforce my thought process.

We moved onto 26 acres nearly three years ago now, but officially bought the house and property last year. Now that we own our little piece of ground, I am in need of my own tractor which leads me to you fine folks. Here are our needs:
  1. We have 3/4 mile long gravel road leading to the house, which despite being a township road is basically private and needs maintaining.
  2. We have a 10 acre field, and a 3 acre field which both need to be maintained. Father-in-law used them occasionally for pasture before he passed, but otherwise simply brush hogged them every year. This practice will continue until I can either pasture it more regularly (we don’t yet have any livestock) or I can put enough into the soil to improve the hay. It’s worth noting that the 3 acre field is very steep. I’m not sure I have the fortitude to brush hog it like my father-in-law did, so tractor stability will come into play.
  3. Ultimately, I would like to get livestock. We’ll likely either get a few horses, or a small beef cow herd, so I’d like a tractor with a loader that can safely move a reasonably sized round bale.
  4. I also want to have the ability to make hay, likely using a square baler, or if able a small round baler.
  5. Finally, I have a ton of small project ideas around the house that a tractor would help with including landscaping, minor dirt work, etc.
Based on that, I’ve made my tractor criteria:

1. 40+ horsepower
  2. 4 wheel drive (we’re in the mountains of PA)
  3. FEL
  4. Cab (this is admittedly a want)
To get those criteria, I cannot justify paying for a Deere or a Kubota. I’m a fan of both and would buy either if I find a deal, but new prices are astronomical and I have yet to find a good deal on a used one. My local Massey dealer is also way too expensive, and I had a very bad experience with the local LS dealer when they came to look at one of my late father-in-law’s tractors that we sold.

We have two TYM dealers within a reasonable drive. I like both and they have led me to the Branson 5520c. (I don’t like the layout of the TYM T’s.) There is an open house at one of the dealerships in two weeks, at which I expect to purchase.

We do have a local kioti dealer and I will check them out before pulling the trigger, but I like the thought of the kukje engine in the Branson with minimal electronics, and I’m partial to red.

My question for you all then, is whether this is a good fit, a good tractor, or if there are better alternatives to consider.

Thanks in advance!

TLDR.

Need to brush hog, maintain gravel road, and lift a round bale on 26 acres. Pick me a better tractor than a Branson 5520c.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #3  
What brand and models did your FIL have? They seemed to work well for him and should give an idea of what you need as far as weight and power.

The 5520C is a nice tractor but hard to say if it is the right one for your needs.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #4  
I think being in PA your gonna NEED a cab..
Trying to maintain a road in Dec./Jan. is not gonna be fun in an open station.!!!
Good luck with your searching..

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else?
What brand and models did your FIL have? They seemed to work well for him and should give an idea of what you need as far as weight and power.

The 5520C is a nice tractor but hard to say if it is the right one for your needs.
My mother-in-law, our only neighbor, still has quite a few cows and has my FIL’s JD 5525 and a diesel Ford 4000. Neither have a front end loader, but she also still has a 65hp skid steer.

Since we moved in I’ve been borrowing those to get things done over here as needed, but I’d prefer not to use those for my stuff.

The Ford was somewhat a base of my criteria decisions.

Trying to maintain a road in Dec./Jan. is not gonna be fun in an open station.!!!
Clearing the road with the JD 5525 back in January was rather chilly.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #7  
Why is that? I do it all the time. NWPA here.

/ First tractor for small family farm. Branson or something else? #8  
Everyone has different tolerances for operating in inclement weather... My tolerance tanked when I hit 50 years old.
I plow about 1 mile of residential driveways, and an open station tractor would not suit me at all.
Plus I like listening to my 60's - 80's tunes while I work!

I have yet to see anyone with a cab express regret about getting it. But I do wonder if stepping up in size to a comparably priced, but open station Branson 5835 might be a worthwhile tradeoff.

I’m hoping I’ve overestimated my needs with the 5520, but don’t want to shortly replace this tractor because I bought too small.