First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #41  
First time buyers will always by the tractor they think they need within their abilities, and I bet 99.5% of the time that's not the optimal tractor for them. Sometimes it's what you don't know, sometimes it's a new task, sometimes it's local dealers, ability to transport it with their current vehicle/trailer combo, weight, hp, attachments....But I bet the most common is budget.
Like I always say, 'ain't no romance in the finance'...lol

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #42  
Besides front end shimmy, diesel flowing out of injection pump and the right rear wheel locking up if the right brake was tapped it was Okay for a $5000 tractor.

Apply that same reasoning to a car, a piece of land, repair a house, and fix a tractor.... & it explains how some previous generatons did just fine before today's financing wasn't available.

Then add in all the interest not paid out...and maybe that's why they ended up rich!

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #43  
I have a Case 580 CK backhoe/loader from the mid 70s. Even though it was beat up when I bought it I have used it for tons of stuff. One great feature is the Shuttle Shift. This allows going from forward to reverse and back again without using the clutch. I cannot stress enough how useful this feature is. I also have a Yanmar YM2310. It has the Power Shift feature which is similar to the Shuttle Shift in that it doesn't require using the clutch to go from forward to reverse and back again. It also allows shifting to 3 forward speeds without clutching. The main 5 speed tranny feeds the Power Shift, so there are 15 forward speeds and 5 reverse speeds. Any tractor you get should have some sort of way to go from forward to reverse and back without stepping on the clutch.
Eric

So what can the OP expect to pay to get a similar 580 Case? And will it handle a 1600 lb 12 foot log?
Not much doubt it will move firewood, mulch, and do construction projects. Shuttle shift is fine, but what about a PTO to run the woodchipper?

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #44  
Think of it like this, if you where going to be pulling 10,000 pounds 5 days a week would you want a F-150 that has the max tow rating of 10,000 pounds or step up to the F-250 Super Duty that is designed for that purpose (just guessing at towing numbers here). These specs are MAX specs they are putting in these brochures. Keep that in mind. It is there to get your attention.
That's a good point. However, the opposite could be true also. The manufacturers could be under rating the lift capacities to keep from getting sued. I don't know the answer to this but if anyone does I would like to hear their experience with it.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #45  
Budget now for sure , Tractor prices here are as much as 5to7 thousand more than two yrs ago, My buddy and i have same Hp tractors of similar size but his will lift and move way more weight than mine .We have tested them side by side on several projects and i was very surprised at what his could do.If you can afford it buy bigger,
What make and model tractor does your buddy have?

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #46  
Apply that same reasoning to a car, a piece of land, repair a house, and fix a tractor.... & it explains how some previous generatons did just fine before today's financing wasn't available.

Then add in all the interest not paid out...and maybe that's why they ended up rich!
I did not grow up in a wealthy family so I do not really know what you're talking about. My Dad paid the interest for everything that he bought as a farmer.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #47  
So what can the OP expect to pay to get a similar 580 Case? And will it handle a 1600 lb 12 foot log?
Not much doubt it will move firewood, mulch, and do construction projects. Shuttle shift is fine, but what about a PTO to run the woodchipper?
I was just commenting on the Shuttle Shift. Though a PTO is available on the 580 CK I do not know what a 580 CK costs these days and how easy it would be to remove the backhoe. I mentioned that two of my tractors had shifting without clutching and that was my point. I guess I shoulda made that clear. In any case (or yanmar) it is now. I also have a Ford 9N. It needs to be stopped before shifting. I guess I could double clutch it but I'm not good at that. Besides, it will move from a standstill in every gear. In my opinion not needing to use a clutch to go from forward to reverse is a huge advantage. I only know of 3 ways to do this, HST, Shuttle Shift, and Power Shift. I own 2 tractors that employ the last two methods and I find this feature very helpful, convenient, and time saving. If I ever buy another tractor it will not be one that requires clutching when changing direction.
Eric

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #49  

I did not grow up in a wealthy family so I do not really know what you're talking about. My Dad paid the interest for everything that he bought as a farmer.

Gale, I am talking about taking something that is used but can be made serviceable with some work, and then putting the required work into fixing it up It's just a different technique for coping with an unfavorable economy. Judging by the machinery you have listed you do it yourself.

I am just making the general comment that rebuilding something is less popular today than financing a new purchase, but that doesn't mean it is any less valuable.

And if things go the way some expect, fixing things up will again be how a generation copes with a financial downturn.
I am kind of surprised that we haven't seen it yet.

rScotty

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #50  
Gale, I am talking about taking something that is used but can be made serviceable with some work, and then putting the required work into fixing it up It's just a different technique for coping with an unfavorable economy. Judging by the machinery you have listed you do it yourself.

I am just making the general comment that rebuilding something is less popular today than financing a new purchase, but that doesn't mean it is any less valuable.

And if things go the way some expect, fixing things up will again be how a generation copes with a financial downturn.
I am kind of surprised that we haven't seen it yet.

rScotty
I have about decided rehabbing old iron is a suckers game most of the time. My shop does a lot getting old tractors back out in the field. They are quite common for pulling the big round balers so the tractor gets very little use but it has the white and the power to keep the wheel spinning in the bells falling out.

Other than the points mentioned above my problem with old iron is the lack of front-wheel drive and a tractor with a front end loader without front wheel drive is limited where it can go around our country especially in Winter and wet.

People that borrow money to buy hobby tractors maybe sad puppies the way things are currently going if they're not financially independent. Especially if they're retired.