First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice
I have about decided rehabbing old iron is a suckers game most of the time. My shop does a lot getting old tractors back out in the field. They are quite common for pulling the big round balers so the tractor gets very little use but it has the white and the power to keep the wheel spinning in the bells falling out.

Other than the points mentioned above my problem with old iron is the lack of front-wheel drive and a tractor with a front end loader without front wheel drive is limited where it can go around our country especially in Winter and wet.

People that borrow money to buy hobby tractors maybe sad puppies the way things are currently going if they're not financially independent. Especially if they're retired.
I have about decided rehabbing old iron is a suckers game most of the time. My shop does a lot getting old tractors back out in the field. They are quite common for pulling the big round balers so the tractor gets very little use but it has the white and the power to keep the wheel spinning in the bells falling out.

Other than the points mentioned above my problem with old iron is the lack of front-wheel drive and a tractor with a front end loader without front wheel drive is limited where it can go around our country especially in Winter and wet.

People that borrow money to buy hobby tractors maybe sad puppies the way things are currently going if they're not financially independent. Especially if they're retired.
I’m an ok mechanic and I like working on old machines but I feel like I have too many projects already so I should be careful to only buy a machine that’s going to save me a lot more time than what I spend working on it.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #52  
I’m an ok mechanic and I like working on old machines but I feel like I have too many projects already so I should be careful to only buy a machine that’s going to save me a lot more time than what I spend working on it.
Both our 3000 and 3600 Ford's came with oiled brake shoes due inter and outer oil seals failure and after 50 years the bearings need replacing. This kind of task requires specific knowledge,;skills, tools and parts if one wants dry brake shoes 50 years down the road.

My diesel mechanic uses Bootheel to repair or remanufacture a tractor's OEM injector pump. To remanufacture the MF was $900+, the Ford 3600 was $1000 and for JD it is around $1400 based on his experience. I am thinking about going ahead and get the 3000 injector pump remanufactured based on what it did for the power on the 3600.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #53  
Looking around, I saw your barn project and that you had the LS so thanks for adding your thoughts. Even though the LS website states that the MT225-235 come with the LL3301 loader, the machines I've seen for sale locally have the LL3302 loader which adds about 500Lbs capacity, not sure if that's something the local dealers are choosing or something LS is doing to keep up with Branson and just haven't gotten around to updating the website. It seems like if you're happy with the size and capability and just wish for a little more loader capacity, this might be a good option for me. It's hard to spot a difference between the loaders so I'm not sure what they're doing to increase the capacity, maybe the cylinders are just slightly larger.

Buying/building a log arch is on my wish list but I built a shed over my mill and it's stationary so I probably won't be able to use it for loading.
As someone else mentioned... 2wd or 4wd, lifting and driving Max loads is very tough on the Ag. Tractors.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #54  
I’m looking to make my first tractor purchase and I could use a little advice. We have 10 acres which is about half trees, half garden and field, somewhat hilly. Here’s what I’m looking to do with the tractor:

-loading logs on the sawmill
-moving cut beams, lumber stacks etc.
-running a woodchipper (bought a used bearcat 70554 already, requires 25HP PTO
-maintaining 0.25mile driveway, needs grading and some more gravel
-construction projects
-Cutting 2 acre field that’s too rough for lawn mower.
-Skidding logs
-moving firewood
-moving woodchips, mulch, compost etc.

I started thinking that for all the loader work I should look for something with HST but looking at used tractors there’s really nothing that makes sense, all the used HST tractors are almost as much a new and many of them have very weak loaders that won’t pickup much of a log. Then I started looking at a new Kioti CK3510H which has a respectable 1800Lb loader capacity and noticed the same dealer also has a LS MT235E HST with an LL3302 loader rated for 2150Lbs. Next I started looking at the Branson 3015H which has a 2200Lb loader capacity. I probably would have bought the Branson already but nobody near me has one in stock which sent me back to looking at used again and I noticed a low hour MF 135 with an MF 34 loader that’s rated for a whopping 5000Lbs and also a MF 235 with a big loader nearby.

So I’m wondering if one of these old Massy Ferguson machines would be good for my situation or if the 2WD and clutch would be too irritating with all the loader/forklift work I’d like to do (plus no quick attach.) I also don’t have time for another project so whatever I buy needs to spend a lot more time working than being worked on. The compact tractors might get a little tippy with long logs on them but I don’t need to lift them very high so worst cast I’d probably just bump one end of the log against the ground right?

I’d like to spend about 10K cash or 25K financed so I can keep more money in the bank for some building projects. What machine makes the most sense for my situation?
My Massey 1760 is both an HST with Lift Capacity to Full Height @ Pivot Pin: 2,570 lb, unfortunately I doubt you'd find one at less than $25K. Be interesting to see what you end up with.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #55  
A few comments:
1) Old is relative. Great value exists in tractors with less than 1000 hrs that have not been beaten to death. The OP says he has some mech ability and with his budget that is where he needs to go. HOWEVER, it is going to be tough to find a decent tractor of the size he needs in that budget range...
2) 4WD is a necessity as many have said and that leaves out the old 9Ns and MF 65 etc. You just do not have good loaders on those OLD machines.
3) But he is only on 10 acres ... his log moving job is really the main challenge. He should have a grapple on a FEL rated for a ton or so.
... and lookout for long logs as they will tip your rig unless well balanced ... and of course keep the load as low as possible.
4) Look for something used and close enough to you that you can go play with it and test drive it.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #56  
I’m looking to make my first tractor purchase and I could use a little advice. We have 10 acres which is about half trees, half garden and field, somewhat hilly. Here’s what I’m looking to do with the tractor:

-loading logs on the sawmill
-moving cut beams, lumber stacks etc.
-running a woodchipper (bought a used bearcat 70554 already, requires 25HP PTO
-maintaining 0.25mile driveway, needs grading and some more gravel
-construction projects
-Cutting 2 acre field that’s too rough for lawn mower.
-Skidding logs
-moving firewood
-moving woodchips, mulch, compost etc.

I started thinking that for all the loader work I should look for something with HST but looking at used tractors there’s really nothing that makes sense, all the used HST tractors are almost as much a new and many of them have very weak loaders that won’t pickup much of a log. Then I started looking at a new Kioti CK3510H which has a respectable 1800Lb loader capacity and noticed the same dealer also has a LS MT235E HST with an LL3302 loader rated for 2150Lbs. Next I started looking at the Branson 3015H which has a 2200Lb loader capacity. I probably would have bought the Branson already but nobody near me has one in stock which sent me back to looking at used again and I noticed a low hour MF 135 with an MF 34 loader that’s rated for a whopping 5000Lbs and also a MF 235 with a big loader nearby.

So I’m wondering if one of these old Massy Ferguson machines would be good for my situation or if the 2WD and clutch would be too irritating with all the loader/forklift work I’d like to do (plus no quick attach.) I also don’t have time for another project so whatever I buy needs to spend a lot more time working than being worked on. The compact tractors might get a little tippy with long logs on them but I don’t need to lift them very high so worst cast I’d probably just bump one end of the log against the ground right?

I’d like to spend about 10K cash or 25K financed so I can keep more money in the bank for some building projects. What machine makes the most sense for my situation?
Hi Dalton: Our needs were similar to yours when we were looking for a tractor. We have 32 acres of rough woods, with ponderosa and sugar pine trees and good solid manzanita brush. We needed to carry logs up to 18" diameter, maybe 24 inches, and around 12 feed long. We had large brush, too. We studied everything we could find and asked the timber management people we knew for advice. They said, "Figure out what maximum HP you need for the engine, the weight you're going to lift with the FEL, and the GPM rating for the hydraulic pump. Then, get the next higher rated tractor."

We wound up buying a new (there weren't any used equivalents! at almost any run hours!) Massey-Ferguson 2706E with the HST, a backhoe, and a grapple on the bucket. We are able to transfer those soft pine logs with bucket forks fairly easily, and you can even use the grapple if you are very, very careful to balance them. The grapple is essential for brush transfers, we have found. The backhoe works well in our rocky soil, but it is slow compared to other machines, because you have to get off, get on the other seat, and move with the trench you're digging.

We did not like the front end of the smaller tractors we looked at. These had the tie rods sticking out in front of the axle housing. We were worried about running into stumps and damaging the front end. The steering mechanism of the 2706 is behind the front axle housing, which was a real positive point for us. If you're doing a lot of forestry work, the the HST is almost essential. You are going forward, stopping, backing up, turning around, almost all the time.

This machine also had simple pollution control devices. All in all, it was the simplest, most powerful tractor/backhoe we could find. The local salesman was good to work with--a seemingly minor point, but we had others that did not call us back. When we serviced it for first fluid changes, the mechanic said that it was an ideal choice for the application we had in mind.

Hope this helps. Good luck! --Ron

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #57  
In my situation I have many acres of hardwoods I would like to extract fallen or stricken trees just to see what I can do with them. Better than letting it rot in place. Am guessing a relatively small tractor to fit between trees to pull the trunk out. No need for fancy grapple, drag it out. Winch, long cables.

Then the remaining 200 acres needs something comfortable with a heated and air conditioned cab to mow.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #58  
I have a 25 acre farm and all I can say is go bigger with the loader than minimum. I move logs, mow fields and run a chipper and cord wood saw. I maintain a 1000' foot road regularly moving recycled process and load/ move horse manure . I had a used Ford 2110 that did this work for 18 years. I went shopping about 10 years ago for a new machine and found a lightly used repo'd John Deere 5055e. I am used to and have no problems with the manual trans. My first advice is to buy a machine that you can get parts for easily. I was looking at Mahindra at the time and the dealer that sold them as a sideline closed up a year after i bought my JD. I liked my Ford/NH but it was a PIA to get parts for. The local dealer charged a special order fee if the order missed the Monday stock order deadline. The other brands were a hour or more away. JD's cost a premium, but I save in downtime and time spent chasing parts. Get to know the local dealers of the brand you're considering and ask around about their parts/support. In my area many of the smaller brands are sold by places like tack stores, lawn and garden stores, and a car repair shop. I'd avoid buying a machine that is sold/supported by places like this.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #59  
After just scanning the world news finding deals on about anything may be just around the corner if panic set in.

I remember in the 80's there was some major farm equipment sales as inflation and interest rates shot up. It could be another good time to be sitting on a wad of cash.

/ First Tractor Purchase - Looking for advice #60  
As someone else mentioned... 2wd or 4wd, lifting and driving Max loads is very tough on the Ag. Tractors.
Why? We do it all the time. As long as you don’t exceed max loads (which unfortunately we sometimes do) it shouldn’t be a problem.
It’s when you see someone lifting beyond the capacity of the loader, then driving it over rough terrain that the problems occur. Then they come onto equipment websites and complain their tractor broke. Don’t buy a bucket bigger than your tractor is speced-out for.

Its the same with anything else, right? Drive an overloaded truck over rough terrain and you‘ll be fixing bearings, springs or worse-broken axles.

Don’t overload your loader. If you do lift a lot, drive slowly for your own safety and the life of your front axle bearings.