First welding project ever (waterer for livestock)

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello everybody, after long hours (due to this being my very first fab job and very first welding project) I finally completed my waterer for my horses.

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #2  
Nice Job, those radius corners and fluting it looks professional:thumbsup:

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock)
tungularafishcamp said:
Nice Job, those radius corners and fluting it looks professional:thumbsup:

Thank you, my neighbor who is a master fabricator taught me a couple things and I have been applying them to the project. The biggest problems I had was using the torch to cut the metal, no matter what I did the flame would always pop and go out and the metal would spray back at the torch instead of out and away. The second was I used flux cored wire to do the welds and they took a lot to get cleaned up (really considering the $200 to get a bottle of mix gas)

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #4  
Can't really tell by the pics but it looks pretty good, considering what water weighs though, I would put some diagonal bracing down to the lower legs. It wouldn't take much of an impact to fold one of those supports up.

Again can't see by the pics but I would think bracing would be needed also to support the weight when you lift it from that point ???

JB.

JB4310 said:
Can't really tell by the pics but it looks pretty good, considering what water weighs though, I would put some diagonal bracing down to the lower legs. It wouldn't take much of an impact to fold one of those supports up.

Again can't see by the pics but I would think bracing would be needed also to support the weight when you lift it from that point ???

JB.

That's a good idea, I know it has been tested and will hold 375lbs with no problems and that tank will be half full at most, but yeah I don't need the legs collapsing.
I've thought about bracing for the lift pins to make it stronger but am not sure how to do it for support, I will take more detailed pics when I get home and post them.

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #6  
Looks good but have to agree with JB. Just a couple braces on each side is plenty like the red part I added to your picture. I think the way it is, all it would take is a bounce to brake it in the top left section. Water is heavy and the weight moves around a bunch. The angle on the picture I added is just a thought, it could be more of a 45 degrees if wanted but I put it to where the lift arms attach for good distribution to the platform.

Attachments

• waterer.JPG
    waterer.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 269
   / First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #7  
I agree with the previous posters. I'm sure it is quite stout when the legs are on the ground but your tractor will bounce that 300-400lbs as easily as you would toss around 25lbs. Weld the braces on and get years of service out of that. Half the fun is making stuff anyway. Welcome to backyard welding. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, here is more pics to show the different details. The one thing that sucks is all I have to work with is a ton of square tubing and no angle iron (have to be very creative on my inventions)

/ First welding project ever (waterer for livestock) #9  
Right now you have a good looking table with basically 2 supports.

Your attempting to lift it from just one of those supports, I'm surprised it didn't fold up just from the weight of the water. you want to create a box or cube effect with the diagonal bracing, and square bracing between those supports.

The connection between the larger square tubing and the smaller tubing is still unclear by the pics but may need some reinforcement as well.

Nothing wrong with square tubing to work with.

JB.

JB4310 said:
Right now you have a good looking table with basically 2 supports.

Your attempting to lift it from just one of those supports, I'm surprised it didn't fold up just from the weight of the water. you want to create a box or cube effect with the diagonal bracing, and square bracing between those supports.

The connection between the larger square tubing and the smaller tubing is still unclear by the pics but may need some reinforcement as well.

Nothing wrong with square tubing to work with.

JB.

I'm going to be adding the support system that was shown earlier on one of my pics to get it beefed up, as for the connections anywhere two pieces of metal are meeting is welded, not just a little tack or weld here or there but every little space is fully welded together sometimes with thee passes.