Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ?

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #11  
... My implements are more of a challenge. Even though the pressure is relieved after disconnecting, it always builds again due to temperature changes, cylinder bleed down or movement of the implement itself. Most of the time, I have to loosen one or both of the hose fittings to bleed the pressure off when connecting again. To me, this is a PIA and defeats the purpose of the leak free coupler design.

Am I missing something here? Do other users of flat faced couplers have similar problems?
I actuate the control valve as I am attempting to insert/connect the fitting (SS/FF couplers)

Works for me every time.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ?
I've tried those connect under pressure flat face couplers available from Discount Hydraulics. I just used them actually last week. The truth is, is that I haven't noticed anything different, it was still difficult to connect, and I had to relieve the pressure from third function with the tractor off. Another thing, maybe I got a bad set from Discount Hydraulics, but they leaked right from the get go. I noticed they said "made in china" on the side...Maybe that has something to do with the leaking problem? I was a certainly disappointed once they constantly seeped while in use, since I paid $90 bucks to my door for the set.

4HTF4-P-SET | Set of 1/2" Connect-Under-Pressure ISO 16028 Quick Disconnects

Thanks for the info on the connect under pressure flat face fittings. My dealer doesn't think much of them either. Before spending that kind of money, I'd invest in one of these tools:

Amazon.com: Flush Face Coupling - Hydraulic Pressure Relief Tool - use with 1/2 inch male coupling: Home Improvement

For flat face.

Amazon.com: Poppet Check Coupling - Hydraulic Pressure Release Tool - use with 1/2 inch male coupling: Home Improvement

For Pioneer.

On a couple of my implements, relieving the pressure on one hose doesn't do it on the other. It isn't clear how either of these tools deal with depressurizing the female coulper.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #13  
Has anyone tried the new M62 MULTI-COUPLER SYSTEM?

multicoupler.jpg

My solution has been to power off the tractor and leave the hydraulic remotes on float to relieve the pressure in the implements. The biggest problem I find is when the implement has been sitting outside in the sun especially if I disconnected it earlier in the morning when it was cool out.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #14  
Some of these solutions look like more work than just loosing the line.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #15  
I use dozens of the FF couplers and hate them. Always having to shut off the machine and relieve pressure. They are supposed to be coupled or uncoupled under pressure, but this seems to be nonsense.

An implement sitting unattached that has been subjected to temperature changes can also get locked up. You must break a line and spill fluid to remedy this.

The couplers are also very subject to damage from dropping on concrete. Sometimes you can't even see any damage, but they are garbage.

Also, you can't go anywhere below freezing without carrying a propane torch. Any little frozen moisture, will prevent them from operating.

Also, some brands don't work as well with some other brands.

Did I mention, I hate them?,

I put a male and female on each implement and on the tractor.
By hooking the implements hoses together when off the tractor, I haven't had to fight that connection anymore.
I used to just leave the tractor side loose but after using the aforementioned practice of smacking the ball of the fitting to relieve pressure, I find that the fitting will leak fluid on the garage floor overnight.
So now those two lines also get looped together also which gives an advantage of keeping the internals of the QDs clean.

When using this procedure, I find it's sometimes difficult or impossible to separate the male and female FF QD's on a pressure bound implement that has been stored for a time. On the rare occasion I am able to get them apart, there is often enough residual pressure in the lines to prevent connection to the tractor. This just doubles the frustration for me anyway.

I guess it depends on individual conditions though and if it works for you, then you've found a solution. Thanks for posting!

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #18  
I was thinking of making up extra hoses so they could be connected to the implement during storage as in creating a jumper hose. This way the fluid could move freely between each end of the cylinder when implement is stored. There would still be fluid loss (what's inside the jumper hose), but it would prevent having to crack the fittings.

Do you think this would work?

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #19  
I was thinking of making up extra hoses so they could be connected to the implement during storage as in creating a jumper hose. This way the fluid could move freely between each end of the cylinder when implement is stored. There would still be fluid loss (what's inside the jumper hose), but it would prevent having to crack the fittings.

Do you think this would work?
If you had a stubby hose with a male & female flat face at each end it would leave you in a similar place. Unless you put in a small valve on that hose you could crack to drain off a little pressure/fluid. In which case that would likely do the trick.

/ Fix for Pressure Bound Hydraulic Couplers ? #20  
I use dozens of the FF couplers and hate them. Always having to shut off the machine and relieve pressure. They are supposed to be coupled or uncoupled under pressure, but this seems to be nonsense.

An implement sitting unattached that has been subjected to temperature changes can also get locked up. You must break a line and spill fluid to remedy this.

The couplers are also very subject to damage from dropping on concrete. Sometimes you can't even see any damage, but they are garbage.

Also, you can't go anywhere below freezing without carrying a propane torch. Any little frozen moisture, will prevent them from operating.

Also, some brands don't work as well with some other brands.

Did I mention, I hate them?,
But do any other style of couplings generate less hate?