Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #191  
well my friend I hope to inherit a simler situation when i sign on my property... hopefully in 2 weeks. I am looking at a hd 11 als dozer that would be interesting to see if we can get running again. it looks to be a project like yours. It will probably be a project a fiew years down the road but that depends on how my smithing/welding/machining progress. The wife will have to much fun tearing the engine appart for me to attempt that one.

as for "There are no special skills involved other than a desire to get the machine into working order" you said it perfectly. many have a project in mind with very clear scope and straight forward mission creep. yours fell at the opposet of that scale. many times it is much easier or cheaper to go with plan B. Stubornness to make it work doesnt often happen. I suspect you will appriciate this machine MUCH more now that you have about as intamate knolage of it as possible. that can easily be priceless as is the extensive practice you got on welding.

Though I have 0 welding knolage I could still appriciate the progression of this project. I wish I had been introduced to these areas much sooner in life.

btw one of my relitives told me dont waist time on a 3' cheeter go with a 16' ;) he works on any thing from his drag racer to freds tractor being a small town mech. I got to be the nutter swingin on the end of that piece before to... granted there were 4 of us swinging on it while he whacked away but being kids at the time we all enjoyed it while he went at the hard work.

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics
Kendrick said:
Though I have 0 welding knolage I could still appriciate the progression of this project. I wish I had been introduced to these areas much sooner in life.

Kendrick, One tip for ya. You say you nave no welding knowledge, so I assume you don't have a welder. The tip is to buy a good one. Mine is good, but doing it again, I would up model and get one like the ESAB my neighbor has. It does Mig, Stick and TIG. Nice machine.

You spend more, but a better tool actually does make better welds.

jb

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #193  
John,

What ever happened to your backhoe????????

I was thinking about it the other day and all th work you did on repairing it, not to mention all those great "Thingy" posts, and I can't remember seeing any pics of it completed. Did you finish it? Did I miss something?

Eddie

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #194  
I was looking too Eddie.:D

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #196  
I didn't read every word of this thread, but I did track the progress. Last time he really posted anything was in early June. I'd like to know if after multiple tanks of gas and who know how much welding wire/rod. Did it get back together and functioning? I'm very impressed that someone would take this on, unless they were a professional welder and did this for a living every day. Some things are just better farmed out, like cleaning septic tanks.
Please let us see a photo of the finished product someday John.

Wedge

Sorry to have not posted earlier.

This project has my blood boiling (still) from all of the machine shop errors. Paid lots of good hard (and very scarce) cash to get things done and they were nearly all screwed up. The machine shop is worthless and won't correct the errors. To keep out of prison, I don't talk to them. There would be blood....

Nearly every bushing was in one way or another messed up. Same with the pins. None of the bushings had the keeper slots cut, so the pins are not captured. They refuse to fix it as I "didn't tell them to add the slots" ----grrrr . They made the 4 bars that connect the swing post to the swing cylinders. Pin diameter and spacing is correct, but they didn't round off the corners so the swing post couldn't move if the bars could be placed (they couldn't until after I ground them painfully slowly down to fit. 4 corners on 4 1"x2" steel bars.

Don't really want to go over this too much as it just gets me too upset. :(

jb

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #198  
John,

Thanks for the update and sorry for bringing up a sore subjet.:)

Love to hear how it works out for you and some pics when you get it all back together.

Eddie

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #199  
Sorry to hear about the mess. I can tell by the disappointment in your post you are frustrated and upset to no end. PO'ed or ready to go postal would be a better description.
Too bad you weren't closer to me John. I would surely have helped you out there.

Wonder what the UPS rate is for overnighting a 3000# back hoe to California?