Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics
Eddie, It's sort of funny, but it's really not over whelming. It's no where near the same "lost" in the pit of the stomach that the old 4140 gave when looking at all the parts strewn across the floor.

shopstitchedsmaller.jpg

This is just a "do-it" project as my copious free time allows. Probably would have gotten more on it, but spent the last few days finding and fixing heat leaks in the house. Nearly all from the construction 30 years ago. Today I was way up a ladder putting sofit vents in and found that 1/2 the house had roll insulation stuffed in the edges under the rafters blocking air flow. No wonder there has been so little flow out the ridge vent! Also found the wood burner chimney had 3-6" gaps around it where it went thru the ceiling. The stack only gets warm on the exterior, but there was a good flow coming around it! (It's in a 3' floor to ceiling box near to an exterior wall. Why that way? Main level has an overhang so the basement ext wall is under the living room by about 4foot.) For the record, being up on a ladder that is on ice, in a stiff breeze, when the temps are 6F WC -20, reaching in thru a jagged hole trying to snag insulation rolls with the end of a straightened coat hanger bare handed is not nearly as much fun as it sounds. At least it's a "dry cold". Hope the NY Giants enjoy it as much as I did.

jb

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #212  
lol jb atleast you went with the 10 pack rather then oops! i hope that beauty starts fitting together like a charm for you.

I know the fealing with the insulation bit. my whole house is a gap ;) as for the vents just think you could be stuck pruning apple trees in that wether. :D

Funny you should mention apple trees. I have about 50 of them in the back of the house. I don't mind pruning them in the winter. All the bending and dragging of cut limbs keeps ya warm. (And I don't have to climb up on a rickety ladder!)

I did slide out and put the bucket cylinder onto the dipper stick. Just the top pin and connected the hoses. The one nut went to a pass thru that transitions hard line to soft line for the bucket. I have been turning the shop heat OFF to save $$. MAN, holding onto a cold cylinder is a bear! After about 10 seconds your fingers start to burn. No fun. But paying for a hugh heating bill is not fun either! I need to run out and get a dozen or so grease fittings too. Many of the ones I took off were not sealing with the little ball and spitting out grease.

jb

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #214  
Wow after reading this thread I now realize why these BH's hold their value so well. Maintenance is killer. Sorry JB. Me and many others wish you luck and hope to see this thing up and running on '08.

Wedge

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #215  
John,

Now that is a picture of a shop that knows what it's like to do some work in it!!!!!

My secret to dealing with the cold is to drink a hot cup of coffee, surf the net and wait for it to warm up outside. If it takes a month, so be it. LOL

Eddie

FYI - I went for a walk around the property yesterday (14.6 acres) and by the time I got back my coffee was frozen in the bottom of the insulated cup. Solid.

Did you know that when it gets below about 0F the snow starts to squeek when you walk on it? About -15F it gets to be a pitch that is reminicent of fingernails on a chalk board. (Shudder) Of all the "issues" living up north, that is the only one that really bugs me.

Don't forget, a few of the less hardy types may perish from the cold every winter, but 100x more die from the heat every summer.

Gotta go stoke the fire....

jb

FYI - I went for a walk around the property yesterday (14.6 acres) and by the time I got back my coffee was frozen in the bottom of the insulated cup. Solid.

Did you know that when it gets below about 0F the snow starts to squeak when you walk on it? About -15F it gets to be a pitch that is reminiscent of fingernails on a chalk board. (Shudder) Of all the "issues" living up north, that is the only one that really bugs me.

Don't forget, a few of the less hardy types may perish from the cold every winter, but 100x more die from the heat every summer.

Gotta go stoke the fire....

jb

/ Fixing Cracks in a Backhoe - Big ! with pics #218  
john_bud said:
Eddie, Hope the NY Giants enjoy it as much as I did.

jb
Looks like the Giants didn't mind the Cold last night. :D

Oh ya. Ever try and explain "dry cold" to someone?

Wedge

wedge40 said:
Looks like the Giants didn't mind the Cold last night. :D

Oh ya. Ever try and explain "dry cold" to someone?

Wedge

Yeah - {sigh} - the Pack didn't quite get it done. It was a good game. Couple of mental mistakes by the Pack and a very strong run defense by the Giants.

I think the Pack should have been wearing sleeves. Muscles get cold and respond slower - looked like they were cold and miserable by the 4th qtr.

Still, for a team that the pundants all thought were going to be 4-12, they done good. Congratuations Packers on a great season!

jb