Flail mower question

/ Flail mower question #1  

nestorint

Tractor
Kubota ZL1-205
Hello. I contemplating to buy a flail mower, similar to the one attached on photo (chinese made) My tractor has only 20 hp with FEL, so I can't go too big.
Will it helps me to deal with this type of grass (on attached photo) and small trees (1-1.5 inches diam.) ?
Can you share your techniques with dealing with such a bushes?

Thank you

Attachments

• KF flail mower3.jpg
    KF flail mower3.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 259
  • 67574061_2728931743806023_6690531703875698688_o.jpg
    67574061_2728931743806023_6690531703875698688_o.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 351
   / Flail mower question #2  
That is a bit too tall for a flail. Flails do a good job of basically mulching the grass to small bits, but it takes a lot of power. For grass that tall and thick, I don’t think any flail will handle it well. Not to mention, you would have to drive the tractor over the grass first. Flails do not work worth a darn moving backward.

I have a commercial Italian ditch and bank flail behind a 70 horsepower tractor, and I don’t think it would handle the grass in that picture without stalling the engine of the tractor.

/ Flail mower question #3  
That is a bit too tall for a flail. Flails do a good job of basically mulching the grass to small bits, but it takes a lot of power. For grass that tall and thick, I don’t think any flail will handle it well. Not to mention, you would have to drive the tractor over the grass first. Flails do not work worth a darn moving backward.

I have a commercial Italian ditch and bank flail behind a 70 horsepower tractor, and I don’t think it would handle the grass in that picture without stalling the engine of the tractor.

:thumbsup: . . . I agree that is some tall and thick vegetation . . . no way 20hp is going to cut it.

/ Flail mower question #4  
I never had much luck with Tall LUSH vegetation using any variety of flails. I would wait for the vegetation to dry out, and cut it in the fall.

/ Flail mower question #5  
I never had much luck with Tall LUSH vegetation using any variety of flails. I would wait for the vegetation to dry out, and cut it in the fall.

Did you notice their location . . . ;)

/ Flail mower question #6  
I have one location on the property, going around a pond, that does look much like that. I used to have a friend with a walk behind sickle mower cut it first. Now, I find, my Cushman ten foot wing mower will go through it after all. Sometimes you have to go back and forth, but seldom.

/ Flail mower question #7  
Taiwan . . . is what I was getting at . . . not too much "fall" happening. Vegetation keeps growing, add to that there is a very humid rainy season.

/ Flail mower question
Taiwan . . . is what I was getting at . . . not too much "fall" happening. Vegetation keeps growing, add to that there is a very humid rainy season.

Correct. it's never dries out and I am at 600 m elevation, so often clouds have their gathering up there, fog, and drizzle rain especially in the winter.
What would you recommend to deal with such grass?
So far I will be using FEL to dug it out and push it to the side

/ Flail mower question #9  
Bush hog, rotary cutter. I've got a Kubota B7800 that I first used to tame some Reed Canary grass, grass that I'd measured stalks at 10 1/5' (yes, TEN and a Half FEET). Very slow going, but one can get the job done if patient. Once somewhat under control one can then use other cutters to maintain: I still rely on my rotary cutters (5' and 6') to do my mowing as I continue to do brush clearing work- one day hope to switch to using flails (for at least one of my tractors). A 4' cutter is about all you're going to be able to run on that tractor; back in to the grass/brush (if only grass then one can go forward over it: no potential harm to tractor).

/ Flail mower question #10  
Correct. it's never dries out and I am at 600 m elevation, so often clouds have their gathering up there, fog, and drizzle rain especially in the winter.
What would you recommend to deal with such grass?
So far I will be using FEL to dug it out and push it to the side

It's going to be tough going at first (I spent some time there years ago, more so in SEA, Vietnam) . . . bulldozer at first, if you want to get it cleared fast . . . and then maintaining with your tractor. How many acres are we talking about? You're in the highlands then . . . things grow like some kind of aliens there . . . :eek: