Flail Mower flail mowers-how are they holding up?

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #1  

skipperbrown

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota b2650, bx2200, L3940 (gone), New Holland FWD TN85, RTV 900
I've been following the 60+ page thread on flail mowers and decided that I want one, but I want one of the economical units which appear to be the Caroni for about $2400 or so and the chinese Betstco sold on ebay for about $1350.

Locally I've found the alamo and other brands to be about $4000.

Several of you said you were going to buy these models and I'd just like to check in after a few hours of cutting to see how they were holding up and if you have had any warranty/repair issues.

Thanks.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #2  
I bought the betstco in July of this past year and used it all the way till the first snow fall(November). In that time period I have been 100% satisfied with this mower. I have cut everything from the grass around my house to thick brush and bushes with it. For the money I would have to say it is a great deal. After hitting many rocks, stumps, and mowing thick material I haven't had to replace any of the knifes. My feeling is that the betstco flail can cut everything any other flail mower relative in size/HP rating can cut. The only time I have ever had to stop the tractor and do any type of work on the mower was when I managed to find a piece of old wire fence in some tall grass, and in under 2 minutes I had the wire unwrapped from the rotor and was back to mowing with absolutely no damage at all to the mower or the knifes. Well that's my 2 cents on the betstco flail, If you are looking for a good deal I would definitely go with the betstco.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #3  
I run a Bush Hog FH-188. Its a 88" cut and will cut from soft bermuda grass to heavy brush up to 1" with no problems. I was sold on nothing but a finish mower for a good quality cut. Once I had a chance to mow with a flail mower and I saw how well it would cut and how it used less HP, I bought the biggest one I could run behind my tractor and sold my Land Pride finish mower the next day. Yes, there are pros and cons to flail mowers, but I would run a flail any day over a finish mower hands down.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #4  
I also have the betstco flail. Mowed 12 acres 3 times and brushed 3 acres several times. It worked well. A couple of bolts came loose, 9 blades needed replaced, and it took about 2 hours to repair at the end of the season. Oh yeah, I managed to wrap up lots of fence wire, found more than 10 pieces of metal in the field, and attempted to brush stuff that might have been a little large (> 2") :eek: Best item for the price.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #5  
I've been following the 60+ page thread on flail mowers and decided that I want one, but I want one of the economical units which appear to be the Caroni for about $2400 or so and the chinese Betstco sold on ebay for about $1350.

Locally I've found the alamo and other brands to be about $4000.

Several of you said you were going to buy these models and I'd just like to check in after a few hours of cutting to see how they were holding up and if you have had any warranty/repair issues.

Thanks.

$2400 seems high for the caroni. Agrisuppy shows the 75" for $2100 on the website with shipping, and for less than $1789 in their newest catalog, without shipping. Also, if I remember right, another poster got a cheaper shipping rate by calling to order rather and buying on the website.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #6  
I also have the betstco flail. Mowed 12 acres 3 times and brushed 3 acres several times. It worked well. A couple of bolts came loose, 9 blades needed replaced, and it took about 2 hours to repair at the end of the season. Oh yeah, I managed to wrap up lots of fence wire, found more than 10 pieces of metal in the field, and attempted to brush stuff that might have been a little large (> 2") :eek: Best item for the price.
Im surprised you can use a flail at anything above a crawl on a BX-24. About 10HP per foot is what it takes to really use one at a reasonable speed if youre in anything but sparse stuff. Ive tried 6HP/ft on my Rears and its barely adequate.
larry

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #7  
Im surprised you can use a flail at anything above a crawl on a BX-24. About 10HP per foot is what it takes to really use one at a reasonable speed if youre in anything but sparse stuff. Ive tried 6HP/ft on my Rears and its barely adequate.
larry

hmmm, it worked good for me. 5' flail, knee high brush, low range, push pedal to the floor, and hold on tight. :)

Some areas of very thick grass require slowing down and occasionally going over the are twice.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #8  
10hp per foot? I guess it depends on the mower. I run a 6' on a Ford 3910 in 3L. I only drop to 2L in brush and/or thick grass over a foot. I've got an old 3-belt model that overdrives the drum almost 3x PTO speed. I forget the manufacturer but it's called a Barracuda and was made in Corpus Christi, Texas. I picked it up at an auction a few years ago for $35. :D I use it more than the Ford 954 rotory because it cuts better.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #9  
Some of the folks here had belts torn up on new Caroni's. Agri shipped out new ones without problems.

Did you read the caroni belt failure thread?

After I finish my wood floor project, I want to reverse the blades on my flail to be ready for spring cutting.

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #10  
"About 10HP per foot is what it takes to really use one at a reasonable speed if youre in anything but sparse stuff."

WOW!
I run a 6 ft rears with 25 pto hp and I cut anything I want withing reason of course. I've never felt underpowered or felt I had to move too slow.

I posted a side by side comparison thread here awhile back about some mowing my Brother in Law did together.

Here it is
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/125875-third-attemp-post-thread-about.html