Flail Mower flail mowers-how are they holding up?

/ flail mowers-how are they holding up? #51  
can someone tell me the diff. in a brush hog and a flail mower plz?

About flail and rotary cutters.

The Flail Mower/Crop Shredder operates on the Verticut method of
cutting grass, brush and crop residue.

The rotary cutter operates using a right angle one to one transfer gear box gearbox to provide the energy required to rotate the spindle which carrys the mower blades and or stump jumper which is the round machined disc that many mowers have to protect the spindle when the mower encounters unseen stumps or hidden rocks.

A rotary cutter only uses one blade at time to cut/shear material with the following blade shearing slashing the brush or grass. Using the the 48 inch rotary cutter as an example it has only 48 inches of cutting surface available to shear brush and heavy grass and leave the material cut only once.

A four foot wide finish cut flail mower(in my case) slices the grass or brush across the entire width of the mower where the rotary cutter only presents 24 inches of cutting edge to slash material with the rear blade following to cut behind the first blade.

In my flail finish mower I have 4 rows of side slicers, with 16 stations per row, two knives per station providing 64 side slicers to slice grass and brush
at one time per revolution of the finish flail mower drum. Each side slicer has 1.5 inches of cutting edge exposed to work at any time, 3 inches of cutting edge per station. this provides the end user with 96 inches of cutting edge to do the same job. and slice the grass or brush into tiny clippings which degrade quickly. The side slice also has a second cutting edge on the opposite side of the individual side slicer doubling its available cutting edge to
192 inches by simply flipping the knives if needed during the season.

A flail mower may have two, three or four rows of side slicers or hammers to mow grass and brush.

A flailmower is also much less likely to scalp good turf due to its rear roller which also acts as a lawn striper at no extra charge.

I can provide you with much more information, which is also posted here on the forum as well in several hundred pages of responses and questions.