Flies- everywhere!

/ Flies- everywhere!
I have used Fly Eliminator from Arbico for the past three years with good results. That, combined with Blue Dixie Cups with Sticky stuff for the biting flies (horse/Deer/Yellow), seems to be keeping them down pretty well. I've added three additional horses since I started using them, so there is actually more manure than before.

Doesn't do anything for the mosquito's, but with the amount of rain we've had this year, thats to be expected.
This looks interesting as we would prefer to stay a little more "organic" since we have 2 young kids and several animals running around. How fast did you see results?

/ Flies- everywhere!
This stuff is very sweet and palatable. a friends dog got some and was dead pretty quick. I wouldn't have it around. It's not worth the risk.

That is exactly what made me hesitant. We do have a "patrol" dog, roams our 40 acres and eats everything. She is great at security but does have a taste for everything...she would get into this unfortunately. I do hear the stuff works well though.

/ Flies- everywhere! #33  
This looks interesting as we would prefer to stay a little more "organic" since we have 2 young kids and several animals running around. How fast did you see results?

It took about two months the first go-round. You basically put it out in high fly areas (translate that - put it on the poop) and it attacks the fly larvae.

/ Flies- everywhere! #34  
every dog in the neighborhood is over feasting on the horse leftovers and never have had any ill effects
horses are fine as well

we just throw it down around the stalls and outside where the horses like to go and within months you can tell a big difference
it does help to start at the beginning of the year (April here) and they send out more every month if your on there maintenance plan
I think it's quite inexpensive for the results when you have 5 manure makers (I think one is part elephant)

/ Flies- everywhere! #35  
My wife and I have been battling pest flys for a couple weeks now. We live in Louisiana, just below the Mississippi line and have never had flies this bad. Are any of you having them in excess like us? What do you do to control them? We are not dirty people, live in a very rural area so critters are not uncommon, especially flies. We have never had them this bad- we kill 10-15 a day in our house. We were wondering if it is a bad year for them...or us for that matter.

We've noticed the increase in fly population here also. Increased bathing to twice a week, but still no help :(

/ Flies- everywhere! #36  
How would you kill flies with Diatomaceous earth?

Pour a small mound of diatomaceous earth, use a small spoon to form a hole at the top of the mound. Place the fly in the depression and cover with more earth. He'll be dead within an hour.

as always, glad to help . . .

bumper

/ Flies- everywhere! #37  
Pour a small mound of diatomaceous earth, use a small spoon to form a hole at the top of the mound. Place the fly in the depression and cover with more earth. He'll be dead within an hour. as always, glad to help . . . bumper
Will have to give it a try. ;-)

/ Flies- everywhere!
One thing we found works is a 70/30 vinegar/water solution. We spray them and it seems to knock them down long enough for us to swat them and they won't land on anything that has been sprayed.

/ Flies- everywhere! #39  
Traps like Boggen described in post #8 work very well during high fly infestations. They are very safe around people or pets and can be extremely easy and cheap to make.

Just get some empty 2 liter coke bottles. Cut the top off the bottle at the top of the bottle before it starts to make the cone. Turn the cone top upside down and tape it back to the bottle. Stand it up wherever flys are present and insert some stinking rotten food and watch the flys trap themselves.