Flowing Ground Water what to do.

/ Flowing Ground Water what to do.
I was surprised that the underground flow doesn't freeze in winter even though the pipes are above frost level.

But then when I thought about it, in order for the old pre-piped flow to make an ice patch below the house, there had to be liquid water coming there from some place where the water was above freezing. So maybe confining the flow in the pipes allowed it to stay warmer than the surrounding soil. I think that is it. Just keeping the water flowing and deep enough to be away from the cold air is enough to prevent it from icing. I also think that the geotex and gravel don't transfer heat as well as saturated soil does. So the pipes are to some extent insulated from the frozen soil.

A similar thing happens in the creek that flows past our place. Our frost line is about 4 to 5 feet depth. The creek is not that deep; it is at most 3 feet deep. But it flows during the winter just fine beneath a solid surface sheet of ice. My guess is that the ice on top insulates the flowing creek from the cold air.
Yes, the water has to be warm enough to come out of the Ground unfrozen, in fact the Neighbours former 4' diameter Casing, Ice Cold Water could be had in it all winter 2-3' below Ground Level, Lift the Lid, Water on tap.

But as mentioned, His Flow was 10-15' from Shore, so the Ice Jam was unnoticeable. Other than the Frozen Bay being Slush Covered most Winters.

I don't think I can stop the Ice Jam from occurring, but I can divert it from the Yard. At the same time, if the Flow is the same Flow the Neighbour had, the Water was Clear and Clean, this Tap is higher than any Outhouse Holes, and might just be Usable Spring Water, so a Casing, and Down Hill Waterline might be usable. Rather than 12v Water Pumped up from the Lake, which is Drinkable all but Aug/Sept timeframe due to Water Temp Bacteria.

So a Casing, with a Drain Off, would cause any Ground warmth to be dissipated, then the Jamming would start again.

/ Flowing Ground Water what to do. #12  
Wish I had that problem. I'd excavate it, dam it and install a small hydroelectric plant and take advantage of it instead of trying to mitigate it.

/ Flowing Ground Water what to do. #13  
sounds like no cheap / easy fix.

IMHO a suitable sized retention pond with an outlet pipe below frost is likely a right fix but not cheap unless you have the equipment to do it yourself???

I real project for sure but I could imagine it would add a lot of value to your property.

Around my place a couple of days of excavator work and a little piping would fix that problem up and no one would care. But in populated or governed areas I wonder if changing water flows like that would require permits / inspections or whatever.

/ Flowing Ground Water what to do. #14  
Yes below Frost Level to not freeze, however this will need an an Above Ground Exit so that will freeze anyway. Blocking any flow
Make the exit under a pond formed downstream. The pond freezes over but the water under the ice will continue on.

There is a 360 sq/mile "Pond" 125' from the flow, no real need for another Pond. No need for permits either

1711162643833.jpg
The flow would hit the Lake about 40' to the right of the dock

1711162892681.png
Right about the marked area