ford 1700

/ ford 1700 #11  
JC-jetro said:
I paid $3100 for it. is that a good price?

Thanks

Yes

I had a 1710 for many years and loved it. Stepped up to a 2120

Andy

/ ford 1700 #12  
AndyMA said:
Yes

I had a 1710 for many years and loved it. Stepped up to a 2120

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I have checked my hydraulic/ transmission fluid and it looks perfectly clean, no sign of condensation. Took a lighted scope inside the transmission from the oil fill hole, gears are in perfect shape and no sign of wear or damage. The owner manual and also repair manual recommends replacing the whole hydraulic fluid every 300 hrs. My tractor has 900 hours and I do not believe the Hydraulic fluid has ever been changed.

Have you ever changed the entire hydraulic/transmission fluid?

I'm aiming to do it, but need to clean the suction strainer in the rear housing. That requires removing suction piping from hydraulic pump driven off of crankshaft gear(live) to the rear end allowing removal of the strainer. Strainer is a stainless steel mesh drum that filter things out. It is a lot of work and I don't mind to do it, but just don't know if it is a normal procedure a lot of tractor owners do. I appreciate your opinion. Would encourage others to chime in. Ford 1700 is my very first tractor purchase.

Thanks

/ ford 1700 #13  
Hi all, just came across this forum and its great!

I bought my 1700 4x4 in 1986 from a landscaper. It came with a Ford frontloader and a Bradco backhoe. I added a 3 pt hitch and now use it mainly for mowing, but also have a tiller, post driver and rear blade.

The only major problem I've had was a broken front axle shortly after I bought it. I broke it doing something dumb with a load in the bucket, but suspect that the original owners had abused it too. I was able to find a replacement part in a local salvage yard, but that was over 20 years ago and I've not had any problems since. I do keep these as well as all other parts greased well.

I've put over 3000 hours on this tractor (3985 total hours) and am ashamed to say that I didn't know that the injector pump had oil in it, let alone that it needed changed periodically. Just looked again and still don't see a sight glass though. What type of oil do you use in these?

Mine also came with an aftermarket power steering cylinder (I'll have to pull it to see the name). The company that made these has long since gone out of business, but theirs was a very simple design consisting of a small sidemount cylinder that connected directly to the linkage. It still works great, but is starting to leak and I'll need to rebuild it this summer. Are any other companies making these?

Thanks and Have a Great Day!
Ron

/ ford 1700 #14  
ronhampe said:
Hi all, just came across this forum and its great!

I've put over 3000 hours on this tractor (3985 total hours) and am ashamed to say that I didn't know that the injector pump had oil in it, let alone that it needed changed periodically. Just looked again and still don't see a sight glass though. What type of oil do you use in these?

Thanks and Have a Great Day!
Ron

Ron,

I made a post in reference to F-1700 fuel injector oil. it is pretty simple to do. The injector oil is basically the same diesel grade oil you use for the engine. Please refer to the post below.:)

JC

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...52-injector-pump-oil.html?highlight=ford+1700

/ ford 1700 #15  
Hi JC and Thanks!

I'll take a look at it this weeknd and get it changed!

Have a Great Day!
Ron

/ ford 1700 #16  
I just bought my neighbours 1700 Ford. I looked after his tractor which he never used because he was and absentee landowner. I love this 2 cylinder 4 wheel drive machine. It was always parked inside the drive shed on his land and has no UV damage on the paint and tires. I changed all oils and am using it right now to split firewood. It came with bush hog, blade, splitter and a 3 point hitch crane. It has 700 hours on the clock and uses no oil and drips no oil. I am determined to keep the 1700 in mint shape. wolf (I have owners manual for it if you need a copy let me know.)

/ ford 1700 #17  
I just bought my neighbours 1700 Ford. I looked after his tractor which he never used because he was and absentee landowner. I love this 2 cylinder 4 wheel drive machine. It was always parked inside the drive shed on his land and has no UV damage on the paint and tires. I changed all oils and am using it right now to split firewood. It came with bush hog, blade, splitter and a 3 point hitch crane. It has 700 hours on the clock and uses no oil and drips no oil. I am determined to keep the 1700 in mint shape. wolf (I have owners manual for it if you need a copy let me know.)

/ ford 1700 #18  

Glad to hear that, 1700 is one sweet little mule. I would have been happy as a lark if i had, FWA, Power steering and FEL on my 1700... That's all :D:D:
I have whopping 950 hrs on it and it just getting broke in, I will get a another one probably brand new sometimes down the road with all the things I'm missing but have no plans to part with my 1700. I like the good design and simplicity of maintaining it.

JC,

/ ford 1700 #19  
I have a Ford 1700 that I have owne for two years and have changed the hydraulic/transmission oil on three times now. It turns a milky white and the hydraulics start acting goofy. Can anyone offer advice as to where the water might be getting in. I am assuming it is water. The last time I tarped it and still did it.

/ ford 1700 #20  
I have a Ford 1700 that I have owne for two years and have changed the hydraulic/transmission oil on three times now. It turns a milky white and the hydraulics start acting goofy. Can anyone offer advice as to where the water might be getting in. I am assuming it is water. The last time I tarped it and still did it.

It must be water. There is a breather cap behind the seat that might introduce a bit of water in to the rear differential. Do you have the breather cap in there?
There is rubber hand hole on the right side of the clutch housing, take it off and take a peek inside with the aid of a flash light. There should be no water there. If the transmission input shaft seal is bad and you have water in there then there is potential to get water r in the hyd system. How is your engine oil looks like? they are separate but through crankshaft oil seal you might also be getting water in to the engine oil.

3 times of oil change but are you sure you removed all the oil from your system? did you clean the inlet screen? did you drain the oil from the differential housing? you'll have more than couple of gallons oil in the differential left if you just drained oil from transmission housing.

Your answers might shed some light to solve the mystery.

JC,

By the way , welcome to TBN Blue:)