Ford 2N - 1945

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #21  
I cant really add any info on your 2n issue, and it seems you are on top of it, but I am interested in hearing about the 8n.

If it is just the wiring messed up, you can get a whole new harness for like $20:thumbsup:

Do you know what year it is?
Side mount distributor is a newer one

Does it have a sherman? That would be a lever on the side of the transmission just forward of the clutch pedal. It is a pretty desirable option:thumbsup:

And one more thing to add, if ya didnt know, the N's had a transmission driven PTO, so you need an over-running-coupler on the PTO. Otherwise, when you are mowing along and hit the clutch to stop, the momentum of the bushhog blades will continue to drive the tractor because the PTO is connected to the transmission. All the clutch does is disconnect the engine.

Good luck with your tractors, and we like pics too:thumbsup:

I never had an over running clutch on my 8N, the "push" was part of the charm of that tractor, and the "challenge" not to get yourself in trouble because of it!

:D
:thumbsup:
:laughing:

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #22  
I never had an over running clutch on my 8N, the "push" was part of the charm of that tractor, and the "challenge" not to get yourself in trouble because of it!

:D
:thumbsup:
:laughing:

Not sure challenge is the term I'd use.

An $80 ORC is pretty cheap insurance not to push you over that big rock or stump that you didnt see till the last minute and needed to stop in a hurry.:confused2:

Or to keep from running over the stupid family dog that just darted in front of you:laughing:

Or if it is your first rodeo, to keep you from driving through the neighbors fence, destroying it, maybe giving you a flat, and wrapping up a bunch of fencing in the hog.

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #23  
or hitting a parked car or a light post.. :) get the orc for sure!

too bad the lift cover is damaged.. you can swap an 8n pump and lift cover (together ) to a 2n, and vis a vis

can't mix and match though.. 8n cover goes with pump.. fits 8/9/2 center.. same with the 2n / 9n

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #24  
Not sure challenge is the term I'd use.

An $80 ORC is pretty cheap insurance not to push you over that big rock or stump that you didnt see till the last minute and needed to stop in a hurry.:confused2:

Or to keep from running over the stupid family dog that just darted in front of you:laughing:

Or if it is your first rodeo, to keep you from driving through the neighbors fence, destroying it, maybe giving you a flat, and wrapping up a bunch of fencing in the hog.

yeah, I was either good, or good and lucky, never had any real issue in 12 years with it and put a lot of hours building my place with that old 8N, but an old timer came along and offered me more than I thought she was worth, he was going to restore her, so I gave it up and put a little cash with that money and got the Bobcat.

I probably had more fun with that 8N than I ever will with the Bobcat, but I was a lot younger n full of piss n vinegar then

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #25  
yeah, I was either good, or good and lucky, never had any real issue in 12 years with it and put a lot of hours building my place with that old 8N, but an old timer came along and offered me more than I thought she was worth, he was going to restore her, so I gave it up and put a little cash with that money and got the Bobcat.

I probably had more fun with that 8N than I ever will with the Bobcat, but I was a lot younger n full of piss n vinegar then

You do much bushhogging with it??

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #26  
You do much bushhogging with it??

kept about 8 acres under control for about 6 years before I got it all planted as lawn

Used it more with the back box for shaping the land and getting it ready to plant the lawn, and also dug my walk out basement with it, only needed a loader for half a day to clean out the corners

/ Ford 2N - 1945
The 9N/2N lift cover has an external plug on each side under the cylinder. Thought they might be for bleeding, but I tried the allen/hex screws and they wouldn't move, even after heating, etc. The 8N cover doesn't have the screws. Must not be needed.

The 8N has other issues besides the wiring. The lift cover is damaged by the draft control. There is a dirt-dobber nest inside the hydraulic area. I'll plan to get a photo. Took the 8N hyd pump apart and the pistons look better than the 2N. It doesn't have a Sherman. The PTO shaft has an over-running-coupler and the larger spline. Could swap it to the 2N, but my bush hog uses the smaller spline.

New control valve and gaskets haven't arrived yet.

Picture of the damaged 9N control valve, attached, maybe...

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    773.1 KB · Views: 277
   / Ford 2N - 1945
The 8N serial number is 8N427375 so I guess that makes it a 1951 model. I got it for $400. Took the better bumper off, the hyd dipstick, the oil cap. It has better tires than the 2N. Got two adjustable top links. It was supposedly running before the ladies boyfriend attempted a 12V conversion and messed it up. She said she got rid of the boyfriend, and now she has gotten rid of the tractor, too. But externally, it looks older than the 2N. Must not have seen much of a shed or a grease gun. Lot of play in the steering. After I get the 2N lift working and finish clearing some brush, etc, I may try to start it using stuff from the 2N.

Cleon

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #29  
different points and coil and generator i'm afraid, between a front and side mount.

starter will swap. lift cover and pump will swap.. front hubs will swap.

/ Ford 2N - 1945 #30  
Got a good deal on that 8N. If the lift works and the engines got compression, would be worth repairing. Side mounts always sold well. No question, that their is demand for them. Use to reman. few units a winter. Never had any trouble selling for a good buck.