Ford 4500 wont start with ether

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #11  
Wow, mentioning ether on here is like throwing red meat to the Piranhas.
While I didn't see your uncle while I was in Nam, could be we were in different ops. Yup works great on tires and also came with another of my diesels, the Unimog. Bent rods, holes, cracks and even melted pistons all horror stories for sure, some have merit lots are handed down by "real" mechanics.
Still most diesels will at least fire with ether...maybe only once before they blow up, but fire never the less. even if they aren't getting diesel. Guess I'm old school as not one of my owned diesels have had glow plugs, Freightliner, Mercedes, or this old Ford. When the weather gets cold up here in Alaska we do whatever it takes to start these old irons, I've even seen pilots start fires under the pan to get it warmed up.

Ok, enough of that. I will of course bleed the injectors as I have fuel up to that point, and thanks Roadworthy for the air suggestion. Appreciate the input.
Funny no one mentioned timing, is this model noted for timing issues?

Lets not Forget Ford offered Ether starting kits as factory options back when the 4500 was produced.
Ford also made sure the pistons had steel ring land inserts which made them much tougher than some other brands.
And No I don't use ether to start my diesels but the young man that previously owned my 550 definitely did on cold mornings.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #12  
Were the optional ether starting kits available for the diesel engines or the optional gas engine?

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #13  
Here is the page out of the parts book. Note that originally there was a reservoir (#1). Later versions did not use a reservoir, but just ran the leakoff line and primer line to meet close to the top of the fuel tank.
The power to activate it is supplied at the ignition switch. When the key is turned to start, there is a position to activate the starter and then an additional position to activate the starter with cold start. It could be wired to a pushbutton rather than ignition, but it is activated only when the engine is turning over, not before.
The cold start glow plug is available aftermarket. Part# C5NE9A436A

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715_075824_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_075824_Chrome.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230715_080342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_080342_Chrome.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 43
   / Ford 4500 wont start with ether #14  
Were the optional ether starting kits available for the diesel engines or the optional gas engine?
Ford did not install ether start on gas engines

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #15  
Here is the page out of the parts book. Note that originally there was a reservoir (#1). Later versions did not use a reservoir, but just ran the leakoff line and primer line to meet close to the top of the fuel tank.
The power to activate it is supplied at the ignition switch. When the key is turned to start, there is a position to activate the starter and then an additional position to activate the starter with cold start. It could be wired to a pushbutton rather than ignition, but it is activated only when the engine is turning over, not before.
The cold start glow plug is available aftermarket. Part# C5NE9A436A
Thank you great post. Of course I got every manual except for parts manual I know better that’s the one I use most from my other tractor. The guy that owned it before me used ether every time I want to get away from that and like you said, it shows ether as an option Yet everybody screams never use it. Confusing waiting on a new key start he’s with using a screwdriver for so long. I think this switch gave up the ghost so much to learn. I am new to Ford tractors or tractors really just couldn’t pass this up for $2000 running with backhoe , gonna use it to park out my 5 acres. Lots of under brush.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #20  
In Ga.the Winter Temps. are in the 30's at night. I use a Diesel Yanmar. 15+Yrs.. 77 2Cyl. so it's far from new. I've only had to use a starting aid a couple times. Never going to use the Ether Unless I have no choice knowing what the risk is. What it uses is a Thermal Start. Heating Element that drips Diesel fuel on an Elec. Igniter in the Air Intake. The warm air helps the combustion. I've heard of other ways Block Heater. Even using a Hair Dryer. So may want to look into all the options. Or a few being in Alaska.
The Yanmar only gets used in grass cutting weather so it's not a problem. I'm working on a NTM Ford 2000. Gas. With a FEL on it. I plan to use it mostly in the winter clearing my wooded land. Doing good so far But Reverse has Quit.
"Again" SMDH... Pitiful how it happened!... I know how it happened for sure this time. I Did it.
1689454281659.png
Inside the Air cleaner.

My quick setup for when I have to use it.

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 171