Ford 4500 wont start with ether

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #21  
In Ga.the Winter Temps. are in the 30's at night. I use a Diesel Yanmar. 15+Yrs.. 77 2Cyl. so it's far from new. I've only had to use a starting aid a couple times. Never going to use the Ether Unless I have no choice knowing what the risk is. What it uses is a Thermal Start. Heating Element that drips Diesel fuel on an Elec. Igniter in the Air Intake. The warm air helps the combustion. I've heard of other ways Block Heater. Even using a Hair Dryer. So may want to look into all the options. Or a few being in Alaska.
The Yanmar only gets used in grass cutting weather so it's not a problem. I'm working on a NTM Ford 2000. Gas. With a FEL on it. I plan to use it mostly in the winter clearing my wooded land. Doing good so far But Reverse has Quit.
"Again" SMDH... Pitiful how it happened!... I know how it happened for sure this time. I Did it. View attachment 811330 Inside the Air cleaner.

My quick setup for when I have to use it.

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 171
Thanks my temperature is about the same in the Pacific Northwest sometimes it gets in the teens. I want to install the thermastart. I’ve ordered a five position key start for that purpose and there’s a lot of drawings on the thermastart application but none of them show me exactly where to put the thermal start element, do you know thanks again

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #22  
The Blk rubber ball is how I fill it with Diesel. Only need a very small drop or two. Twelve Volts to the Ignition switch. Which you turn my key backwards and hold it to get power to it. When it gets hot 5-10 Secounds it fires up the dripping Diesel. Major Heat!!! This is it and were you can buy one. They have a few setups with it.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #23  
The Blk rubber ball is how I fill it with Diesel. Only need a very small drop or two. Twelve Volts to the Ignition switch. Which you turn my key backwards and hold it to get power to it. When it gets hot 5-10 Secounds it fires up the dripping Diesel. Major Heat!!! This is it and were you can buy one. They have a few setups with it.
Interesting, simple kit! Nice to know

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #24  
They've done it for Decades. It does help a lot! Why I set it up If I had to use it. The Glow plug was on it I wired and made a way to get fuel to it. And sure enough!;)
Gas and cold starting the Diesel is why I went with the Ford 2000. Twice as big and a FEL also. Which the Yanmar not made to handle. Plus It hates the cold weather start.True!. A Rice Patti Tractor which is my Lawmower LOL. I know Ford motor Co. very well. And the big F has hit a few times already. Prev. owner stupid Ghetto rigs mostly! Fix the shifter "again" and I've covered it all but the brakes.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #25  
Try using a hair dryer (or better a real heat gun) to warm the intake air.

And whe yall's say 'ether', do you mean 'starting fluid' or vintage cans of real 'ether' ? Starting fluid has be watered down quite a bit. That's why it's more difficult now days to mount stiff tires on wide rims.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #26  
I'd say the motor is toast myself.

Even if it needs work, aftermarket engine parts are pretty cheap and available compared to some other old brands and even some Ford /New Holland factory parts are reasonable.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #27  
Thanks my temperature is about the same in the Pacific Northwest sometimes it gets in the teens. I want to install the thermastart. I’ve ordered a five position key start for that purpose and there’s a lot of drawings on the thermastart application but none of them show me exactly where to put the thermal start element, do you know thanks again

If it is like the 3000 and 550 and other Fords I have seen it goes into the intake manifold there should be a bung in the casting look closely on the 550 it is near the front side facing the water pump.

ps How full was the can of starting fluid? As posted earlier this new stuff is not like the old ether and have seen near empty cans ( i sometimes use for stubborn tire remounts) where whatever they are using burned but nothing like the old pure stuff. I bought a fresh can and when full the ignitability was much better than the near empty can.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4500 wont start with ether #28  
Try using a hair dryer (or better a real heat gun) to warm the intake air.

And whe yall's say 'ether', do you mean 'starting fluid' or vintage cans of real 'ether' ? Starting fluid has be watered down quite a bit. That's why it's more difficult now days to mount stiff tires on wide rims.
No Elec. anywhere in a places. Thought of that. I'm Orig. from WV. and it gets cold. Not a enough extention Chord? That won't be a good thing. Another reason if I had to take it up there to the Properties. The Funk wasn't available for use back then. My Grandfather used to do it on the Gas 6 Cyl. Ford. He kept another Battery. Which I kept the old weak one I replaced. Cold Temp's on weak Battery isn't a good thing. Esp. with a Diesel. Which is how I done it before I was able to get the Thermal Start hooked up and working. In Ga. it's nowere near as cold Mtns.!! I'd would use the Tractor Battery to Start the Motor with a full Chrg. Which I don't have to use Two Batteries now with it working properly.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #29  
Would love to know how to install a thermostart on my 4500 it was an option I don’t have. I have all the manuals nothing shows how to add. Can you hook me up to link or drawing. Thanks
Make sure you don't have one. They are small.

/ Ford 4500 wont start with ether #30  
Make sure you don't have one. They are small.
That will be my next project right now. I discovered that the harness is toast gonna replace the whole harness aftermarket 90 bucks opinion please .some wires had no insulation . There is no thermos start but first I have to have consistent start. It was a screwdriver start for many years. I heard it run. I drove it but it quit starting bad wiring I hope.