Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #21  
How about back to GM and their exploding VOLT cars hmm they're only a year old NOT TWELVE YEARS OLD.

I know your going for the drama but lets keep it a little more factual.

No Volt exploded.

I assume you are referring to the battery that caught fire on a vehicle that was used for side impact crash testing in a controlled environment.

"The government started investigating the Volt after a side- impact crash test in May led to a fire three weeks later. During that test, the lithium-ion battery pack broke open and coolant leaked into the battery. When the car was physically rotated as part of the test, more coolant leaked into a circuit board, leading to a fire. NHTSA replicated the fire in November and started an official probe Nov. 25."

Electric Cars No More Prone to Fires Than Gas-Powered Vehicles, U.S. Says - Bloomberg

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #22  
I know the guys on here will get on me for saying this but come on. If I had a GM, Toyota, Dodge, Nissan that was 12 years old and my biggest problem was a bad gasket on the intake I would be pleased.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No one likes an unexpected repair bill or their truck being stuck in the shop for a week, but compare that to the cost of keeping a truck that is under warranty (buying a new one every few years) and even then it still might spend time in the shop even if it doesn't cost you money to repair it.

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #23  
AS a independent auto repair shop owner, I always get asked by friends, family and customers what car or truck should they buy. I can only smile and suggest they buy the one that is right for them adding they ALL have positives and negatives.

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #24  
My wife's 2000 F150 5.4 spun a couple rod bearings at 230,000. Pretty good truck up until then. And its too nice of a truck not to repair.

The biggest problem is that it sounds like the easiest way to swap out the engine is to pull the cab. I'm not looking forward to that. It's not cheap to install a new motor, but it's sure less expensive than a truck payment every month for 4-6 years.

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #25  
You know what they say about the two Ts, don't mater what one you got your gonna have problems. I had to do the power steering gear box on a 2001 f-250 at 48.000 miles and ball joints to boot. Mad yes,I put another 275.000 miles trouble free.Now I have a 95 chevy 1500 V-6 4.3 that I would not trade for nothing. It is slowly disapearing into rust though.Its only has 89.000 miles

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #26  
Happy with my 5.4. The plug issue is well known and properly equipped shops doesn't charge that kinds of money to fix.

Plastic intakes are on everything now. They are very smooth from new, complex shapes and injector wells can be formed in and they are less prone to leaks as they are flexible enough to stay pinned to the heads through the operating temps.

Everyone bags on the modular motors but they are in millions and millions of cars and trucks without much problem.

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #27  
I take it the 5.4 is not spitting out the sparkplugs...or stripping out the holes?

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #28  
My 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 don't owe me a thing, bought it new and have used it to tow a 24 ft gooseneck and a 16 ft utility trailer quite a bit to the farm 300 mile round trip. Biggest expense has been new set of tires at around 60,000 miles. I know the transmission will eventually go and when it does I will be pi**ed. I believe a properly maintained truck considering what they cost now should be absolutely trouble free for at least 10 years, and in fact should be warranted for at least that long. I have no plans to buy a new one.

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #29  
Have you changed any of the ATF. or do you believe in just letting it ride out?

/ Ford 5.4L Triton V8 is crap #30  
Changed the ATF to Amsoil and removed the check valve at around 15,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.