Ford 600 Clutch Replacement

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #21  
Do you need a new flywheel? Why not just take it to a machine shop and see if it can be resurfaced. I know that is another trip/delay, but most likely the flywheel can still be used.

I don't neeed a new flywheel; but would like one. I don't know how and don't know where to bring the old one to get a ring put on. I am under time constraints as well...winters on the way and I need to be mowed before long. Also, I found that my Ford has either a 9" or 10" clutch don't know which one yet. Could you tell me? I don't want to split the tractor before I get the parts. What a cow don't tear up it pees on, don't want them to knock the tractor off the cribbing..I have taken the sheet metal off and disconnected everything to split it. Rained all weekend so didn't get to work on it. But haven't ordered parts due to the clutch size issue. Going to though cows or not. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #22  
specifically what model do you have:

!!New to the forum. I have the same tractor being discussed in this thread; I work this tractor....HARD! I run cattle on an 800 acre island. due to weight restrictions on my cattle barge I'm limited to tractor size and bush hog size. An old tractor is easy to work on and will do the work usually without any issues, as opposed to a new electronic gizzwilly tractor. I have to work on the tractor where ever it goes down at. Im presently down in the middle of a pasture 500 yds from the barge landing and have to transport everything....YAY!!! Will be doing the same job discussed here with the addition of a NEW flywheel. I can find the flywheel gear but no complete flywheel. Does anyone know where I can find the complete flywheel? And what additional parts would be a good idea to change while she's busted open? Thanks for any help.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #23  
ya really have to see what's in it, to buy new parts.

ps.. the reing gear is a do it yourself type job..

I don't neeed a new flywheel; but would like one. I don't know how and don't know where to bring the old one to get a ring put on. I am under time constraints as well...winters on the way and I need to be mowed before long. Also, I found that my Ford has either a 9" or 10" clutch don't know which one yet. Could you tell me? I don't want to split the tractor before I get the parts. What a cow don't tear up it pees on, don't want them to knock the tractor off the cribbing..I have taken the sheet metal off and disconnected everything to split it. Rained all weekend so didn't get to work on it. But haven't ordered parts due to the clutch size issue. Going to though cows or not. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #24  
Just found the ring gear how-to on You Tube. Don't look like a problem at all. Thanks for the help. Will try and post some pictures of the old workhorse soon. She ain't purty , but she works like a sugar mill mule!

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #25  
burn.jpgw sprayer.jpg

With a spray rig attached and then while I'm burning. I burn every year to promote the growth of the saltgrass which is the winter pasture for the cattle.

Last edited:
   / Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #26  
ahh.. 601.. lil different than a 600.. especially in clutch area...

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #27  
Did you see the 150 lb. shackle counterweight hanging off the front. Homemade bushog weighs a ton. :laughing:

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #28  
or even more you can load the fronts if not already.. and get front wheel weights too.

i have a 6' servis (rhino) mower fromt he 70's.. real heavy duty sucker.. I had to add plenty of weight tot he front of my 4600 to use it..

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #29  
Duck...you should really start a new thread. Will help,other out who search the same problem later.

I looked on the CNH parts app and another site and it looks like the only way to know if you have a 9" or 10" is to pull and measure. Getting the flywheel resurfaced is an easy job for any machine shop. Pull that off and take it in and have it done while waiting for the new parts you ordered after measuring clutch.

Do you have a shop manual for the tractor? You can get a I&T, but I recommend both the I&T and the Ford reprint. I think you have to drain the hydros also (2 gallons) as the manifold will have to be taken off.

In a nutshell, split, measure, remove, order, resurface, reassemble... Easy eh? ;)

Do you already have it split? Could you get it off the island so you can leave it cribbed without fear of having it knocked over? If you can't get it in gear with the tractor running anymore, you could always warm it up, the shut off, put in gear, run a wire from the solenoid, get on and ground the solenoid to start in gear. Not safe, but might enable you to move tractor somewhere safe for repair.

Good luck!

/ Ford 600 Clutch Replacement #30  
Did not know that the flywheel weighed a ton!! Now I know why they just sell the ring. Has a 10" clutch plate. Is the throwout bearing the same as release bearing? Why are there degree marks on the flywheel? Thanks for any info.