[Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #1  

Painer

Evening all, I've been browsing these forums for info a while now and got around to registering today. Lots of smart people here! My question lies in an 8n I'm looking at buying. I'm going to look at the tractor over the next week so I'm trying to gather what all I need to check out.

So far the owner tells me there is only one problem - the tractor has been parked outside, but cranked regularly - the problem is that the clutch is stuck and will not engage. It's been raining a lot here lately and I'm told that moisture could have caused this. He says he can put the tractor in gear though and start it up fine it will just be rolling lol.

Is there anything particular to test for when I go look at the tractor to see how severe this problem is? (Without breaking the tractor apart) Pricewise, it's a great deal, so I'm more than likely going to do it anyway - just wanted to hear from the experts on the matter.

Thanks,

Painer

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #2  
To be more accurate, the clutch will not DISENGAGE. Search 'stuck clutch for a variety of cures, some safe,some not; some effective, some not.

You can't start an 8N in gear without bypassing the NSS. Whatever you do, don't get hurt.

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #3  
ditto what rick said.

here's what I'd do.. go over and bring a large nail with you.. 10 penny or so.

put tractor in 4th gear, block clutch down.. keep gas and ignition turned off.. have a safe lane of travel in front of the tractor, lock the brake pawls down as best you can.

now.. while setting in the seat, take the nail in hand and slide the small rubber cover back off the small wire where it connects to the neutral safety thumb switch on the transmission top cover.. shorting that terminal to the transmission top cover with the nail willcause the starter to engage, and thus the tractor will bump foreward a bit. don't run it continously.. just bump it about once a second.. keep going.. might take 10-12 bumps. i've broken many ford clutches apart from being stuck with that method.

there are plenty of other methods including just leaving the clutch blocked a day, and or removing the starter and seeing what you can bang or pry on.. starting in gear and driving in tight firgure 8's while standing onthe brake on the outside of the turn, and even engaging pto to a heavy load like a mower and bumpting starter over.. etc.

the in-the seat one I detail I feelis the safest.. and has a good chance to work.

also as rick said.. don't get your self hurt.. if you are the least bit unsure about any of this.. don't even try.

be safe.

soundguy

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #4  
Well,

I helped my dad dig out an 8N from the pole barn at my grandmothers house a week ago, and we've got the same problem. It's been parked for about 12 years.

A tune-up kit, clean oil and we popped started it today. It's got a loader on it, so dad pulled me with his loader just in case I couldn't get it out of gear so it wouldn't do too much damage. I drove it around quite a bit with a set of welding vise grips holding the clutch pedal down. I tried climbing a grade in high gear, engaging the brakes to put a load on the motor.

It won't let go. We had the starter out, and you can see that the linkage is moving back and forth. I think we should try to pull something around (like another tractor). To make the whole thing more difficult, the tractor won't start with the starter. I am thinking that it will be a winter project to split it apart. Any more ideas?

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #5  
why won't it start with the starter?

will it crank over?

if so.. leave clutch blocked, and put it in 4th gear..leave fuel and ignition off and set inthe seat and use a knife to short the starter thumb switch to the trans cover.. it will make the starter kick in.. do that about 10 or so times.. keep in mind the tractor will lurch forward.. you can lock the brakes down to help with the lurching.

that has a good chance of poping the clutch free.

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #6  
ps.. this is the general sub. there is a ford specific sub if you have future questions. ( not that they won't get answered here or anything.. ) :)

soundguy

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #7  
why won't it start with the starter?

will it crank over?

if so.. leave clutch blocked, and put it in 4th gear..leave fuel and ignition off and set inthe seat and use a knife to short the starter thumb switch to the trans cover.. it will make the starter kick in.. do that about 10 or so times.. keep in mind the tractor will lurch forward.. you can lock the brakes down to help with the lurching.

that has a good chance of poping the clutch free.

It will turn over (faster with a 6v battery charger set to "boost"), but she won't fire up. We'll give it a shot. At first, I thought this method required the engine to fire by using the starter. Now I understand it is the torque from the starter that will break it free.

Thanks Soundguy.

Once this is fixed, it needs:

-new waterpump.
-new tube in one rear tire.
-Probably a top end job. She smokes more than a little but ;)

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #8  
Keep clutch pedal depressed. Gas petcock open. Ignition on. 4th gear. Have someone push tractor (not pull) to start. Drive up a hill or just drive around and see if clutch disc breaks free (all the while keeping clutch pedal depressed). Occasional braking while keeping throttle open might help also.

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #9  
To be more accurate, the clutch will not DISENGAGE. Search 'stuck clutch for a variety of cures, some safe,some not; some effective, some not.

You can't start an 8N in gear without bypassing the NSS. Whatever you do, don't get hurt.

'You can't start an 8n in gear using the starter however you can start an 8n via pushing or towing in gear.

/ [Ford 8n] Clutch won't engage #10  
'You can't start an 8n in gear using the starter however you can start an 8n via pushing or towing in gear.

to even be more specific.. you can't statr an 8n in gear using the interlocked starter button as it won't push down.. however.. using your pocket knife to short the lil wire to the top of the transmission and I guarantee you the starter will spin while she is in gear.

soundguy